Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Discovery Series I Air Box Trumpet Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery Series I Air Box Trumpet Mod?

Hi, I have looked extensively and I can find anything on the web or forum about the Air Box trumpet. In looking at this piece of equipment I have to think there is a better way to get cool air to the motor more freely. I am not interested in a snorkel, but I am thinking of routing some PVC to the hole behind the headlight. It looks like, (not withstanding airflow) the trumpet is taking warm air from the engine bay (plenty of info on hot much heat the Aluminum blocks create/dissipate). By rerouting and snugging up closer to the light box, I t would seem I'd get fresh/cooler air.

Have others done this mod? if not, why not? Are there tuned characteristics to the trumpet that removing would foul? If so, how'd it go? Any tios/tricks, photos etc??

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Old 10-11-2010, 10:43 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default "Poor Man's CAI"

I've never seen a mod like you're describing, but it makes sense...and I know the thread below isn't exactly (or anywhere close to) what you are looking for, but if you're looking strictly to lower your intake temps, this is a very cheap way to do it. I think he got pretty good results and lowered his intake temps pretty significantly....If nothing else, he gets points for being clever and resourceful.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=31876

Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I recently saw a piece on HorsePower TV about a 1964 Ford Fairlane factory dragster that had a 427 stuffed in it. The ThunderBolt. I think they only made something like100 of them. You had to have special connections with a dealer to even get one.

This guy had the very first one ever made. The air intakes on it were headlight cutouts in the grill, blacked out with a fine mesh cover tubing straight into the intake mainifolds. It was a wild beast of a drag car.

I forget the numbers it pulled but they were awesome. That would be sort of a Ram Air induction wouldn't it?