Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Homemade Limb Risers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the 'p clamp' idea more. because with the way I ran it, I cannot open my hood without removing the risers first. However, I bought my rover used, and it came with the bumper, and it had the eyelets in it already, so I just worked with what I had. Plus I could not find any 'p clamps'

Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to the hardware store and Lowes today and could not find any "p" clamps. Does anyone know where to get them? I already have all the pieces and wire i need.

I just need 4 of those "p" clamps (2 for the brush guard and 2 for the rack).

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks-

Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 AM
Overlanding

I could not find any either, and the problem I have now with the limb risers is that I have to undo them everytime I need to open the hood, they are in the way. So any info on where to get some p clamps would be great. I made new leather boots recently for the inside. I didnt get many pictures of the process but I can describe it pretty well. If anyone would be interested.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roverlax2
I could not find any either, and the problem I have now with the limb risers is that I have to undo them everytime I need to open the hood, they are in the way. So any info on where to get some p clamps would be great. I made new leather boots recently for the inside. I didnt get many pictures of the process but I can describe it pretty well. If anyone would be interested.
So i talked to "streetwolf" on LRO last night and he said that he got them at Home Depot. But I did some research last night and you can get them at bike shops and boating supply stores (marina).

I am going to search around town again tonight. I am pretty sure i will be able to adjust them so i can open the hood. I did a mock up using string and i was able to open my hood.

I will take lots of pictures when I do them and post my own little "how-to".

Old 03-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey guys sorry to drag up a dead thread but i just got a set of these

and they are amazing for anchoring to the bumper. I tried p clamps and they broke down or just plain broke but these are amazing!! Good guys too at Ballistic Fab. They even posted some great strength tests

"Hanging a Super 14 housing from the tab with no deformation or rotation

Using a 5 lb sledge I was able to rotate the bracket on the tube, but the tab showed no signs of fatigue or failure as the force to rotate the bracket is not sufficient enough as to allow the tab to bend.

After tack welding the bracket to the tube, I was able to tear the portion that goes around the tube with a 5 lb sledge and 10 baseball bat like swings."

Last edited by RjBu; 03-23-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Old 03-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Mudding

WHo cares about drilling two small holes in your OFF ROAD designed bumper, what the hell ya gonna do when the bumper you bought specifically for off-roading hits that stump or rock that it was designed to hit?. Just saying, guys buy beefy bumpers etc etc and then worry about doing any small thing to it. IMO if you buy an "Off-Road" bumper but then are scared to drill 2 small holes in it to add a modification then you are a POSER. Ok, moving on. I think its looks good, very functional and I want to do the same, BUT arnt you concerned about your nice lights up top getting ripped off?. EVERYTIME I have lights on top of my trucks they get bent, broken or something. So essentially you made some guide wires to effectively GUIDE the branches up towards your nice expensive lights LOL. Looks cool though, me likes!.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AKdisco
BUT arnt you concerned about your nice lights up top getting ripped off?.
Ha! That's one reason I use cheap tractor floods. About $20 each. They work fine and I don't freak out when they get broken.

Last edited by antichrist; 03-30-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:30 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by RjBu
Hey guys sorry to drag up a dead thread but i just got a set of these

and they are amazing for anchoring to the bumper. I tried p clamps and they broke down or just plain broke but these are amazing!! Good guys too at Ballistic Fab. They even posted some great strength tests

"Hanging a Super 14 housing from the tab with no deformation or rotation

Using a 5 lb sledge I was able to rotate the bracket on the tube, but the tab showed no signs of fatigue or failure as the force to rotate the bracket is not sufficient enough as to allow the tab to bend.

After tack welding the bracket to the tube, I was able to tear the portion that goes around the tube with a 5 lb sledge and 10 baseball bat like swings."

I like these!! Where can I get them?? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

"at Ballistic Fab. They even posted some great strength tests"

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...ir_p_1832.html

Last edited by Rover_Hokie; 04-15-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Homemade Limb Risers