Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

This Might Be in the wrong place, but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation This Might Be in the wrong place, but...

I have about 3 weeks off coming up after next week and itching to work on my car. I have a little bit of spare cash, but nothing enough to buy some big upgrades (bumpers, sliders, roof rack, ect.).

But now to the question. What would you do if you had the time? I like the Painted Headliner Write up. I know that I have a weird set up though. I only have 1 sunroof, that according to the guys at The Shop (Norcross, GA), it looks like it was after market installed at the dealer. I've felt the board, and it feels like it is molded to have another sunroof, but it is solid. Thoughts?

I've also thought about (what I've seen talked about on here) redoing the back cargo area. Take out the carpet, and use bed liner in the back. Possibly even use it on the back of the seats as well. Thoughts?

I also need to check out everything under the hood. I've already done the wire/plug swap, and am readying my car to do the full list from DiscoMike. Any other mods I should do while I'm under the hood?

Also any other 'projects' that are normally time consuming? I'm willing to take all ideas under consideration....

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

At your mileage, how about all your fluids, what about your front drive shaft, has it been rebuilt or replaced? Have you hooked up your CDL?
One thing I would suggest is to remove that K&N air filter before oil from it contaminates your MAF requiring you to replace it with a good factory paper air filter.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's some cheap cosmetic mods - Just need some rattle cans, some painter's tape and some time.

1. Hood Blackout (see pic) - just need paint, tape and newspaper (or buy the decal online)
2. Freshen up Fender Flares/Bumper Corners/Trim - use Krylon Fusion for Plastics
3. Paint Wheels? This would be a good option if your wheels are scuffed up or the finish is fading due to corrosion caused by brake dust...I have this problem thanks to the PO.

.....Simple green and a rag will take care of any over-spray.

Disco's have the option of dual sunroofs or none, so you're setup must be aftermarket. I think the headliner in either trim level is the same, they just cut out the extra headliner when they put in the sunroofs.

Attached Thumbnails This Might Be in the wrong place, but...-front.jpg  
Old 05-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
At your mileage, how about all your fluids, what about your front drive shaft, has it been rebuilt or replaced? Have you hooked up your CDL?
One thing I would suggest is to remove that K&N air filter before oil from it contaminates your MAF requiring you to replace it with a good factory paper air filter.
I'm pretty much a novice at cars. I've been able to do some things because of all the help on here, and hope to keep doing so.

I'm pretty sure the drive shaft hasn't been replaced. The best I've been able to find was that this vehicle was a company car in it's previous life. All of the general maintenance records are there, but nothing over and above.

I read on hear that in 2001 is when they stopped having the CDL in these. How do I check to make sure mine still has it? I've read that you have to read off the transfer case, I just don't know where to check. I know that if I do have it, it's fairly easy to hook it back up. But as I said, I'm pretty much a novice, and need the 'Dummies' guide to everything. I have a roommate who's generally good with different vehicles, but mine is the first Land Rover. (He's been a life long jeep owner.)

Last edited by TopherDisco; 05-06-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Here's some cheap cosmetic mods - Just need some rattle cans, some painter's tape and some time.

1. Hood Blackout (see pic) - just need paint, tape and newspaper (or buy the decal online)
2. Freshen up Fender Flares/Bumper Corners/Trim - use Krylon Fusion for Plastics
3. Paint Wheels? This would be a good option if your wheels are scuffed up or the finish is fading due to corrosion caused by brake dust...I have this problem thanks to the PO.

.....Simple green and a rag will take care of any over-spray.

Disco's have the option of dual sunroofs or none, so you're setup must be aftermarket. I think the headliner in either trim level is the same, they just cut out the extra headliner when they put in the sunroofs.
These are all great ideas. I used Mother's Back to Black last weekend, and the parts that weren't scuffed came out great, but the parts that were stand out even worse. I think I'm going to remove all of them, sand them down, and use the paint you suggested. Would you suggest a specific type for the hood? Also, did you paint your LAND ROVER black as well or did it come that way? Mine's silver. I think I'm also going to end up clay barring it as well. Give it a nice detail for once.

The sunroof stopped working a few months back. I didn't mind as much then because it was cold as hell, but I tried it and it's still not working. I'll look on here to see what needs to be done, since I'll be pulling the headliner anyway.

Any other suggestions or comments?

Old 05-06-2010, 12:39 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by TopherDisco
Would you suggest a specific type for the hood? Also, did you paint your LAND ROVER black as well or did it come that way?...
For the hood I would suggest any sort of outdoor/auto paint in flat black. Either way I'd scuff it up a bit with a sanding block, prime it, and use flat black. I used Duplicolor Sand-able primer to "repaint" my old Land Cruiser and it went on smooth, has been very durable and is really easy to touch up.

Yes, my LR emblems came black from the factory.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Drifting

Just wondering. I've played with idea of going with a gunmetal look with the Epsom Green. I think they might go really nicely together. Obviously the rims I have with them now don't look bad, but I'm still playing with the idea because the darker color wouldn't show the brake dust as much. I also read up on some ceramic brakes? I hear they work awesome except for cold. How cold is 'cold' for these to lose effectiveness? I live in GA. I'm not one of the usuals that think when it get's in the 40's it's 'cold', but we do dip down into the teens and lower on occasion and I don't know if that's where it'd be effected.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:24 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by TopherDisco
Just wondering. I've played with idea of going with a gunmetal look with the Epsom Green. I think they might go really nicely together. Obviously the rims I have with them now don't look bad, but I'm still playing with the idea because the darker color wouldn't show the brake dust as much. I also read up on some ceramic brakes? I hear they work awesome except for cold. How cold is 'cold' for these to lose effectiveness? I live in GA. I'm not one of the usuals that think when it get's in the 40's it's 'cold', but we do dip down into the teens and lower on occasion and I don't know if that's where it'd be effected.
I painted my alloy Maxima rims with a gunmetal Rustoleum and they looked awesome. I didn't prime them, and I ended up getting some chips in the paint. But good thing about rattle can jobs is you can just grab your spare can and touch up anytime!

I run ceramic Akebono pads on my Rover and love them. They hardly put off any brake dust and have good performance for my style of driving. Winter's here are mild (I used to live in Nashville and the winter weather is surprisingly similar), some days it will dip down into the 10-20's, but mostly just 40's-50's and WET. I haven't notice a dip in brake performance at all in the colder weather.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Drifting

I'll be on the look out for a good set then. Recently (as in this afternoon), I found out a buddy of mine is itching for a project and knows how to weld. So it looks like I could be getting bumpers and sliders for the price of materials! I'm looking at specs from as many places I can online to get ideas. I'm like f@#$in' kid in a candy shop right now.

Any ideas or thoughts on this?

Old 05-07-2010, 10:06 AM
TReK

This website has some pretty unique ideas, I'm a fan of the swing out tire carrier.

http://www.kenmtnac.com/LandRover.html

Quick Reply: This Might Be in the wrong place, but...