Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Powerchip V8

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 05:10 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Powerchip V8

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Why waste your money that will cost you more gas, most of which will burn right out your tail pipe?
The chip I have does not add fuel its all timing.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:16 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: andrewmcoffin

So what's the latest on the Powerchip? Still sold on this? Any others with experience on a Disco?
Yes Power chips are still sold, but if you have to run Ethanol I would pass on it or find out if they can change to make it compatible with Ethanol if you have to run it.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:36 PM
TReK

I have picked up a Remanedlong block 4.0 got a good dealand have ordered a cam set from RPI that will be in on the 04/25 and I have a shop to do the porting of the heads and machine work.

Now I need to find a intake and exhaust.

I will have to have my ECM unlocked if its not been done with the other chip to get the most from the cam or it will go into default.

RPI has a chip set they can put in it runs $650 UK pounds that I will most likely get.

With everything I'm looking at 40 Hp gain and at LOW LOW price of well I would say 3 to 4 times what my old Disco would sell for.

I do understand that the more bumper stickers that I put on that are HP related I get 5hp per sticker so a easy 100 hp there YES!!!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: Landzu

Why waste your money that will cost you more gas, most of which will burn right out your tail pipe?
The chip I have does not add fuel its all timing.
And what chip is it that you have that gives you more power while using no more fuel? There isn't enough timing to change to give you more then a couple of horse power.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:45 AM
TReK

The chip adds no more fuel.

What you have to understand is Land Rovers run rich, thats why we have to change oil and flush the motors so often.
You yourself should see that.

By advancing the timing with the ECM it will take advantage of the premium fuel and the rich state that Land Rovers run in.

Now you can run more fuel with the regulator "Gas Pedal"
and thats the fun part.

It did help my MPG's before the area I live in had to start using Ethanol blended fuel.

So I was able to see a increase in my miles per gallon and could see that the RPM notjump in a down shift by the transmission in the same spots on my daily.

I would say that people that do not have their Land Rover in very good working order should fix it before they try a Chip of any kind or they will see little benefit in the Chipping.

On older motors like ours you will not get alot of horse power due the limited ECM controls, so you have to make up your own mind if it is for you.

Its not my intension to SELL chips just to let people know first hand what I have found.

So I wanted the most my Disco could give me at a relative cheap price so I tried it.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Administrator

What sort of fuel mileage are you get, with what octane, at what speed and altitude?

Old 04-18-2008, 06:52 AM
TReK

Before ethanol and the chip I was getting 12mpg in town and
15mpg hwy.
With the chip and no ethanol I was getting 14mpg in town and 16 to 17mpg hwy.
When ethanol can along and the chip I started getting 11mpg in town and the best I did on the hwy was 14.5mpg, with a power loss.
So I pulled the chip to see if I would improve mpg's and power but everything hasremained the same.

So I'm not a fan of ethanol.[sm=smiley35.gif]

Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: Bartell

Good game plan, how old are your plug wires and are you still running the originail coil? If your wires have over 30,000 miles on them and they are the 7mm size, I would get rid of them going to 8mm Magnacors and a hotter coil.
How about your timing chain, has it been replaced? If not you might want to put the engine on a scope and see if you have alot of timing slop from a loose chain.
Mike
Mike, you should speak to Magecor..The Australian fellow from Sydney in their US office is the best and he will tell you that, unless you are an all out racer with a hot cam and system, 8mm will not do anything more for you. We dynoed that advice on two continents and he is right. Of course, the promoters will try to get you into the Magnecors blues or even the reds but it is unnecessary. I do agree that LR stock leads are not good.

I am also a BIG beleiver in a good spark. But they don't create more power any more than a a bigger match lights a bigger fire. For those wtih LR distributors, get rid of them. Big weak point in the system. Go for a Mallory Unilite.

James
The reason so many of us use the 8mm Magnecor wires is not because we have high output engines, but because of their price, their guarantee, the low amount of resistance, that fact that they flow so much more voltage then factory wires and because they have proven that they can withstand the terrific heat from our engine compartments.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator

15mpg hwy.
When ethanol can along and the chip I started getting 11mpg in town and the best I did on the hwy was 14.5mpg, with a power loss.
So I pulled the chip to see if I would improve mpg's and power but everything has remained the same.

I just drove from Denver to Moab, over the Rockies to at elevations of up to 11,400 feet, with my truck loaded for a week of play, and with out a chip, while having to burn ethanol, I averaged 17.8 at around 70 MPH.

Chips will give you a little more power but it is at the expense of additional fuel flow, plain and simple. If you want better performance do all the little things that have proven to give us better mileage and keep your foot out of the throttle.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
TReK

15mpg hwy.
So I pulled the chip to see if I would improve mpg's and power but everything has remained the same.

I just drove from Denver to Moab, over the Rockies to at elevations of up to 11,400 feet, with my truck loaded for a week of play, and with out a chip, while having to burn ethanol, I averaged 17.8 at around 70 MPH.

Chips will give you a little more power but it is at the expense of additional fuel flow, plain and simple. If you want better performance do all the little things that have proven to give us better mileage and keep your foot out of the throttle.
I did not change my driving style and got better fuel mileage, when I did put my foot down it did use more fuel as they said it would.

For me its not about the mileage its the Power.

Quick Reply: Powerchip V8