Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Powerchip V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 03:46 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Powerchip V8

ORIGINAL: Bartell

Sure! First tell me what you want in the way of performance (torque) and add what driving you like best. Then I have to know whether you want ONLY US sources, because that will mean we have to find American distributors of the right UK stuff (no problem, just more expensive). Then you need a local engine builder and I will give you/they the instructions. You will be surprised how inexpensive it all is no matter what route you take.

James

What I want is a motor that is reliable.
So mild cam, larger intake better flowing heads and then exhaust.
I will have it balanced.

It would be nice to find better fuel injectors some that have
a better spray pattern that gives better burn rate, but I don't
know if there gas injectors like that, I do have some in my
diesel and its makes a big difference.

I would like to get 40 to 50 horse power and keep the long
intake runners so I keep the toque at low end rpm.
To do this I have thought about a spacer of about one inch on the
intake and get longer and larger runners, but a good after market
intake would be better.

I want to think this through before so I have a plan.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Landzu
What I want is a motor that is reliable.
So mild cam, larger intake better flowing heads and then exhaust.
More reliable is very possible. Mild cams are smart, head flowing will give you marginal gains. The limitations of the LR V8 heads are a sad legend. There are two alternatives, Wildcat heads and Real Steel heads.. I prefer the latter but these choices are for racers and very expensive.
I will have it balanced.
Well that's good. LR engines come balanced but there is no harm in rechecking..though the engine must be diassembled. At the rev range you have, it may give you a politer idle.
Exhaust is a BIG help for torque and bhp. You need headers and a twin free-flow system.
It would be nice to find better fuel injectors some that have
a better spray pattern that gives better burn rate, but I don't
know if there gas injectors like that,
I believe Bosch can match anything you have. Much better injectors. I use them on all my EFIs.

ORIGINAL: Landzu I would like to get 40 to 50 horse power and keep the long
intake runners so I keep the torque at low end rpm.
Too ambitous. You can get an extra 50 bhp if you move from a 4.0 to a 4.6 (4.6 have longer strokes and much more torque) AND rechip AND put on a new exhaust AND headers AND get rid of your cats (if your state allows that) That will be costly.

Be careful, these blocks are not candidates for much tweaking, especially with the load a LR provides. They have been cast in a fashion that makes cracked blocks and loose liners very common. Re-chipping can prevent that but one must understand the fault and adjust to it.
Thanks for the help.
np
James

Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 AM
TReK

Thanks for the Info, I think its a 4.6L.

I found Steel heads on line.

Now to start the plan.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Overlanding

Now why can't someone develop & market a performance ignition/fuel management product like I can get for my bike? Harley makes a killer owner-tunable Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner (SERT) that allows modification of the ignition & fuel all across the band. Then there are the aftermarket ones like Power Commander III among others. All can either be loaded w/ loads created by others with various engine mods, or custom tuned to the specific bike. There're always dyno numbers and maps being shared at v-twinforum for bikes.
That's what I'd like for each of my vehicles including the 4-wheeled ones. Doesn't anyone produce one?
On a side note, my '03 RR told me that it got 20.1 MPG going from central Florida to Tennesee last week; average speed ~62MPH. Not too shabby, from what I've heard.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM
ajh
Winching

Which heads would those be? Have you found roller cams yet? That would make a massive difference in reliability.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:50 AM
TReK

ORIGINAL: ajh

Which heads would those be? Have you found roller cams yet? That would make a massive difference in reliability.
Steel Heads is a company that makes heads, but I have not
looked in to which ones.

No I have not found any roller cams yet, I did get a
"Rover V8" book and in it they said that at the time someone
was testing one.
The book was from 1994 so I think it never took off.

I did pull my chip out last night due to the bad fuel (ethanol)in the area I live.

I was worried about the low octane of ethanol and what
it could be doing, as adding OutLaw octane booster to
each tank with 93 made a difference in the way it runs.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: 03rangiemark
Now why can't someone develop & market a performance ignition/fuel
management product like I can get for my bike?
There are plenty. Depends how much you want to spend. On the cheap end there is MegaSquirt http://www.megasquirt.info/ (I hear it is easy and works well...but I have never tried it.

On the high end there is Haltech http://www.haltech.com/ and Motec http://www.motec.com/ Both are Australian companies..extremely fine products. For some reason, Australia seems to be ahead of everywhere else on this stuff.

We have tried both. I prefer Haltech for the ease of fuel mapping.

The fun thing about all these systems is that you can work out different fuel maps for different uses (on road, off road, emission testing) and flip from one to the other in a second.

James

Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Mudding

So what's the latest on the Powerchip? Still sold on this? Any others with experience on a Disco?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Administrator
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

Why waste your money that will cost you more gas, most of which will burn right out your tail pipe?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Good game plan, how old are your plug wires and are you still running the originail coil? If your wires have over 30,000 miles on them and they are the 7mm size, I would get rid of them going to 8mm Magnacors and a hotter coil.
How about your timing chain, has it been replaced? If not you might want to put the engine on a scope and see if you have alot of timing slop from a loose chain.
Mike
Mike, you should speak to Magecor..The Australian fellow from Sydney in their US office is the best and he will tell you that, unless you are an all out racer with a hot cam and system, 8mm will not do anything more for you. We dynoed that advice on two continents and he is right. Of course, the promoters will try to get you into the Magnecors blues or even the reds but it is unnecessary. I do agree that LR stock leads are not good.

I am also a BIG beleiver in a good spark. But they don't create more power any more than a a bigger match lights a bigger fire. For those wtih LR distributors, get rid of them. Big weak point in the system. Go for a Mallory Unilite.

James

Quick Reply: Powerchip V8