Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Radical headliner and interior alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
No updates yet. I suspect I will be driving without a headliner altogether for a month or more. Still wrapping up the engine rebuild and electrical project.

Pretty sure I won't be doing a solid aluminum headliner, however. I think it would be too tin-can like, look crummy, and hard to mold to the contour of the original headliner. I'm thinking something simple like dynamat+reflectix and black metal slats. Cross members around each sunroof, and aluminum channel for the sides.
Please tell me you have updates and pictures! Please!

Old 04-07-2018, 11:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Yeah, still going strong with no headliner. I don't miss it in the least. But I also took it to the extreme and gutted out pretty much the entire factory interior: pillars, headliner, door cards, carpet, various plastic trims, etc.

Here are some work in progress shots.. should have the interior polished up by end of tomorrow. check the d2 forum for updates

Old 04-07-2018, 11:51 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, still going strong with no headliner. I don't miss it in the least. But I also took it to the extreme and gutted out pretty much the entire factory interior: pillars, headliner, door cards, carpet, various plastic trims, etc.

Here are some work in progress shots.. should have the interior polished up by end of tomorrow. check the d2 forum for updates

Thanks for the reply dude! Wow that looks pretty badass, not going to lie. I'm considering doing this now... I wonder what do sunvisors/sunroof switches/dome lights become after the headliner is removed?

Old 04-08-2018, 12:03 AM
Pro Wrench

You can re-install the roof console after the headliner is removed

Old 04-08-2018, 05:17 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Yes, reinstalled mine after removing headliner. Don't miss the headliner either, being 6'4"...the extra headroom is wonderful. Plus, grabbing a magnetic flashlight and slapping it on the roof, wherever needed, is a bonus.

Jeff, you mentioned in another post that you are building a raised platform. What will be its use, just for storage underneath or sleeping? Wish you would have started a "build" topic over in the build forum...that way it would keep your build in one area and easier to follow along.

I'll just mention this, in case you plan on sleeping inside rig, be mindful of your headroom when building the platform. The lower the platform, the better...in my opinion. Built mine to accommodate the storage containers l'd found...so l was committed to the height necessary for them. But, it makes sitting up, to get dressed or put your shoes on very tight. Plus, you have that overhead storage rack...so that would make sitting up nearly impossible. If l was building a platform in your rig, l'd go just beneath the electrical panel in rear, which wouldn't cover the wheel-wells...but it would be close enough that if you were sleeping back there...it wouldn't be to annoying. Anyhow, just some thoughts...maybe they are helpful or maybe not...everyone's needs are different when building storage.

Brian.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Pro Wrench

Sorry, I missed your reply. Yes... build thread! once I get all my photos organized and a writeup done, I'll start a new build thread. I keep thinking I'm "almost done" so I don't make one... but what do you know, I keep thinking of new projects.

No plans on making a raised platform, no interest in sleeping inside. I've been mulling over the idea of drawers... but I don't think I'll do it, or at least not for a long time. Pretty much anything in my rover is already accessible without moving anything.

The following users liked this post:
The Deputy (04-14-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Dude your rig is so badass!!

Love the build out, where do you get all those metal grid panels!?

Old 04-12-2018, 12:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by FloridaRover
Dude your rig is so badass!!

Love the build out, where do you get all those metal grid panels!?
Thanks, they're from Mantec in the UK

Old 04-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks, they're from Mantec in the UK

I was worried you were gonna say that =]

Old 05-16-2018, 01:50 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here’s an interesting product that I’ve considered incorporating into a similar mod. Peglock | Nation Wide Products

Yours is looking great!