Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Roof Rack Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FishEH please explaine how/what you mounted the switch...

Old 12-20-2012, 03:46 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
god one thing I can't stand are the idiots that run offroad lights and don't understand the concepts and parallel and series circuits. Instead of two maybe three wires tops you have more wire then the engine harness all tie strapped to whatever they can put on.
Unless your Rover is an FFR, you don't want them wired in series.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by rx7pro
FishEH please explaine how/what you mounted the switch...
I pulled out the ashtray. The switch binnacle pops right in place. The switches pop into the binnacle. The switches have two raised notches that line up with two notches in the binnacle. You may need to shave one of the notches on the switch off with a razor blade to get it to fit. It's pretty easy, only takes about a minute.
The bigger challenge will be fitting all the wires behind the switches. The dash behind the ashtray wasn't designed to be open to allow for wiring/switches. You'll have to get in there with a knife, drill, saw, whatever, and remove some plastic molding.
Drilling a hole for a simple Radio Shack switch would be a lot easier but definitely wouldn't look sano.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys. I saw that I could replace my ashtray with a switch carrier, which I might still do, but I was mostly hoping to use one of the empty slots on the instrument binnacle. I'll give a shout to the folks at Expedition Exchange and ask them about their kit when I'm ready to order everything. If that doesn't work I'll get hold of a switch carrier that will replace the ashtray.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
Thanks for the input guys. I saw that I could replace my ashtray with a switch carrier, which I might still do, but I was mostly hoping to use one of the empty slots on the instrument binnacle. I'll give a shout to the folks at Expedition Exchange and ask them about their kit when I'm ready to order everything. If that doesn't work I'll get hold of a switch carrier that will replace the ashtray.
The switches in the instrument cluster shroud are the same as the switches for Cruise Control, etc. I'm not sure what the Expedtion Exchange "Kit" is but I'm willing to bet its way over priced.
I see they're selling the stock fog switch for $22!! And the stock rear ladder for a laughable $200!
I might have some switches at home with pigtails. What switch(es) would you be looking for?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I'm not sure what you're asking, it sounds like you're describing the same part.
Get something like this to replace your ashtray.
Land Rover 94 Discovery Cruise Control Switch 1994 | eBay
There are also binnacles that have three switches instead of two. Getting the wires run cleanly to the back is a little tricky but can be done.
Here's mine.
Would the set up in the photo be possible to do on an 03? I've got some roof rack lights that I'm dying to get wired.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishEH
The switches in the instrument cluster shroud are the same as the switches for Cruise Control, etc. I'm not sure what the Expedtion Exchange "Kit" is but I'm willing to bet its way over priced.
I see they're selling the stock fog switch for $22!! And the stock rear ladder for a laughable $200!
I might have some switches at home with pigtails. What switch(es) would you be looking for?
The cruise control is an on/off switch, whereas the kit I'm looking at is essentially the same sort of switch as the front/rear fog light switches, which are momentary switches. I was wondering if I could make those work, or I need to use a cruise control type switch. Or give up on mounting them on the binnacle and just go for the ashtray switch carrier. I'd love to be able to have binnacle switches and I'd love anything you've got!

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Overlanding

Cute!

Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Rock Crawling

You can pop the cover off the cruise control switches and light switches and swap them so that you have a light switch that is on/off.

Also, back to the original topic, has anyone thought about using X-Eng's X-lights? I have thought about putting some on my ARB to replace my Hella Black Magics. I like the black magics, but they are huge, and only give me one option for additional lighting. I could put between 2-8 of the X-Eng lights on my ARB and be able to choose from different beam patterns as needed for different situations.

Last edited by Rover Curious; 12-30-2012 at 06:30 PM.