Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Secondary Air Injection

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 07:25 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Secondary Air Injection

I'm installing a 4.6L Thor engine from an '01 Range Rover into a British sports car. I've discovered the engine has Secondary Air Injection. I have learned that the SAI system is needed to keep the ECU happy, but I am tossing out the stock ECU/BCM and converting to Megasquirt. I live in rural TX where there are no emissions tests, and I plan to register the car as a '68, since that's what the car VIN identifies.

So, can I remove the SAI stuff - the valves on each cylinder bank, their hoses and the pump? If so, do I need to do anything more that plug the SAI injector sockets in the heads?.

And why are there two radiators available - one for the non-SAI 4.6L and one or the SAI-equipped 4,6L? Do SAI equipped engines run hotter and therefore the heads need more cooling?

Thanks,

Bill

Old 09-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bwessale
I'm installing a 4.6L Thor engine from an '01 Range Rover into a British sports car. I've discovered the engine has Secondary Air Injection. I have learned that the SAI system is needed to keep the ECU happy, but I am tossing out the stock ECU/BCM and converting to Megasquirt. I live in rural TX where there are no emissions tests, and I plan to register the car as a '68, since that's what the car VIN identifies.

So, can I remove the SAI stuff - the valves on each cylinder bank, their hoses and the pump? If so, do I need to do anything more that plug the SAI injector sockets in the heads?.

And why are there two radiators available - one for the non-SAI 4.6L and one or the SAI-equipped 4,6L? Do SAI equipped engines run hotter and therefore the heads need more cooling?

Thanks,

Bill
As far as the ports on the heads, you can plug them(tap and bolt), if you are going to megasquirt ecu, you don’t need the harness connections. The radiator difference is just a port for a temp sensor to activate the vacuum pump for the SAI, doesn’t have to be directly attached to have a “reading” if you are going to utilize SAI. If you aren’t using the emissions, no need for it.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:20 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Nosugar0Carbs. That's the information I needed.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bwessale
Thanks Nosugar0Carbs. That's the information I needed.
No worries, fairly easy question. Ask all you want/like.