Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

supercharging a 4.0 Disco?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation supercharging a 4.0 Disco?

The title says it all! Having got my disco for $700, I had not want to put a lick of work into her. Here I am 1.5 years later with 25k more miles and NOT A SINGLE ISSUE. Seeing as I'll now be keeping this beast for the long haul, I have been getting things from my local junk yard to fix her up. The se7 seats to add on, New water pump, full fluid change in every damn thing she has. But while going through the junk yard, I ran across a totaled late 90's XJR with the 4.0 supercharger on it. They said the whole setup could be had for about $300... my question is, are these engines the same? And could the transfer case/transmission take the extra power?

Old 02-21-2014, 02:11 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I saw an ad for a "factory" supercharged 4,0 D1 for sale a while back.

If you do a google search you will probably find it. Looked clean and the owner in the ad said it was fast.

So, I guess it can handle it, but you might have to go easy on it.

As far as the jag motor being the same, can't say.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

There were some supercharged Rover motors over the years.

The transmission could probably take it.
The Transfer case can
Are the motors the same? Not even close.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

ZF 4HP24
1986–1994 BMW E32 750i M70/B50
1986–1994 BMW E32 750iL M70/B50
1987–1994 Jaguar XJ40
1989–1994 BMW E31 850Ci M70/B50
1989–1994 BMW E31 850i M70/B50
1989–1996 Jaguar XJS 4.0
1995–1997 Jaguar XJ6 (X300) 4.0
1994–2003 Range Rover V8 4.6L
2003–2004 Land Rover Discovery V8 4.6L

The jag 4.0 uses the 24 tranny so the 22 on the rover 4.0 might not be strong enough.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

With 700 dollars invested (less than the cost of a bumper), you are already way ahead of the game; I'd stay there.

HOWEVER, having contemplated and just started an engine swap myself into a spare DII, and knowing nothing about a 90's jag motor, the basic problems you would have to surmount are:

Does it fit? Most will fit but you need to look at the height, width, and length of the motor, paying particular attention to whether your front axle will bump into the bottom of the engine or oil pan.

Is it super heavy? Disco engines are super light for V-8s. If you put something too much heavier in the front you might have to consider heavier springs.

Mount points (motor mounts and transmission adapter)? The engine will almost surely require relocation of the motor mounts (where the motor attaches to the frame--there are 2). A metal shop can make the mounts or modify yours and put them in the right place, and a welder can put them on. This is assuming it will fit. If it is too long you can convert to an electric fan. If too tall you may have to modify the oil pan to clear your front axle and differential.

Transmission adapter? The bolts that connect jag engine to its transmission bell housing will probably require an adapter ring, so they have something to bolt into (because the bolt holes on the Rover transmission won't line up), and the bolts from your rover transmission will need something to bolt into from the other direction. Adapters can be bought for some applications (probably not yours, but I am not sure), or made from scrap metal, a metal saw, a drill, and a tap by your or someone else. I have seen them made out of rusted metal from someone's yard, and I have seen them machined from aluminum and shipped from Europe. I even read that someone made on from the plastic cutting boards are made from (but I don't believe it).

The point where your torque converter seats on the end of the crankshaft will probably require a small adapter that can be made from a machine shop.

You don't state what year Rover you have, but you would have to budget for an additional transmission controller (Computron II) if yours is an electronic transmission, or just convert to a manual transmission (sadly, both the controller and the manual transmission are, each, more than twice as expensive as your Rover... but you got such a good deal let's not quibble). If you have an older non-electronic, automatic transmission one, you could save that money.

The electronics are the key. Again depending on the year Rover you have, making the ECU happy could be a real feat of wiring and maybe programming. I have not tackled this yet, but, basically, the ECU is going to expect inputs from the crank sensor, temp sensors, MAF, etc. from whatever engine is sitting up front. For instance, in my Disco II, if the crank position sensor is not sending the right signal to the engine, the engine won't start. If the MAF is sending a bad signal, it runs very badly. You would need to match these items and others from the jag engine to the rover wiring harness, and I have no clue whether they give similar output for the ECU to read. If you look in your Rover engine bay, follow the wiring harness to every point on the Rover engine. Now look at the jag engine for the same purpose. you would certainly want to get the harness with the jag engine.

Then figure out how to run the exhaust, hook up/adapt oil lines, fuel lines, coolant hoses, and adapt the intake.... make all gauges work.

Drive away in supercharged goodness. But take it easy, if the HP24 is the correct transmission and you have an HP22, then you are running weaker components.

It is probably close to impossible to make this happen but it would be fun to try, especially if your Rover is not your daily driver or you have a spare rover to tinker with.

I just noticed that ArmyRover has a 110 5-door... Now, he can probably put anything on the planet in his engine bay.

Best,

Charlie V

Last edited by Charlie_V; 02-21-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Meh, just do it. It'll be fine.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Haha, I'm not looking for an engine swap, just throwing a supercharger from that engine to this one. For the price I can't really go wrong here. I'm guessing I'd have to get better injectors too if I plan to shove that much air down her throat. Also it's a 1998 DI with 100k miles

Old 02-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

HAHAHA I misunderstood. However, if you get that supercharger working I will be even happier... and picking through salvage yards like a maniac.

I have a couple of Garret turbos in my garage (for my old diesel) that I would love to put in my DII, but even a Hulk Smash wouldn't make them fit in our engine bays. You get your supercharger installed and I will chop my hood and make them external. We race. Engine explodes. Rebuild. Repeat.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Drifting

I like the way you think good sir! Supercharger to a snorkel I think would make a sweet vacuum sound haha.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Pinky those listings are for the straight 6 in the Jag. Of course maybe he is looking at the supercharger off of a straight 6.

Charlie, you'd be surprised to learn I'm sure there is not as much room in the engine bay of a 110 as one would think. Of course having a early 110 I have about 6 wires in my engine harness, and none of that silly emissions stuff

Quick Reply: supercharging a 4.0 Disco?