Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Trying to figure out the exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to figure out the exhaust.

When people say they're going to put a straight pipe on are they taking the muffler off, replacing it with just pipe and leaving the resonator? I wanna get some decent growl w/o the wife murdering me cuz the rover sounds like a monster truck! Lol. I've read the other threads but I'm just double checking. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Rock Crawling

Most leave the muffler in place and drop the resonator (lower tone but with some growl). Just the res will leave you with a headache (ask her). Know from personal experience.

Usually the term 'straight pipe' means just that, pipe only. No mufflers.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok thanks. So if I get a flowmaster muffler and cut the resonator off it will sound even more aggressive but won't be too loud? Also, I'll need to put a tip on the cut off pipe, what size is that stock pipe? Thanks again.

Last edited by XxRoverAllOverxX; 04-14-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Depending on what you call "LOUD".
The one thing you need to remember is that large rear cargo are will amplify the exhaust noise.
Try cutting off the resonator and see what happens.
Don't expect to gain any power from replacing the muffler, you'll just get a much louder Disco.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Turn Down Tip

Go on You Tube and Type in Land Rover Discovery Exhaust, You'll come up with endless exhaust combinations to listen to. People have videos posted on everything from inside the truck to judge what will keep the Wife off your back to a really good one with a resonator delete and a Flow master.
If I cut the resonator off of my DII I'd pick up a cheap turn down to scuff up and paint flat black so it's Heard and Not Seen. The turn down addresses a few issues;1.The sweep of the exhaust tip points the exhaust towards the ground while the Angle / cut at the end of the exhaust tip actually lowers the exhaust decibels a bit from a | straight cut exhaust tip(don't know the complete "How-Why it works answer" but I'm sure its probably on Wikipedia somewhere.2.The sweeped tip is tucked up a bit more than the resonator or a big honking chrome exhaust tip so it's less likely to get smashed off by trail obstacles.3. The hacked off exhaust pipe isn't blasting the floorpan and the gas tank with hot exhaust and dangerous fumes (see part 1 of 1 again).

Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Good stuff, thanks. I'll update once i get the mods done.