New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**Oil change interval 8300miles?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 02:38 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default **Oil change interval 8300miles?

Is the oil change interval fixed or does it drop based on usage? I’ve driven 8300miles and now I’m getting service due. And my miles till change is 0. Is this a normal thing? If so what factors drop the miles?

Old 09-17-2020, 03:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by pitmansm
Is the oil change interval fixed or does it drop based on usage? I’ve driven 8300miles and now I’m getting service due. And my miles till change is 0. Is this a normal thing? If so what factors drop the miles?
Which engine? Vehicles monitor a ton of parameters.
some stealerships will tell you 3 to 5k miles lol.
I just go by my monitor.

The following users liked this post:
pitmansm (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 03:42 PM
Drifting

Diesel. We just got done crushing miles on it. I did about 4000miles in the past month.

Originally Posted by TexasLandmark
Which engine? Vehicles monitor a ton of parameters.
some stealerships will tell you 3 to 5k miles lol.
I just go by my monitor.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:45 PM
Drifting

I’m not used to a smarter vehicle. I’ll get the oil tested as well. Just bought my extractor and tool the icarsoft v2 ive been monitoring with a mx+ and carscanner app for iPhone. I noticed it drop dramatically at5k till service due. It shows 8300 since last service on the monitor. I will see if the icarsoft says otherwise. I know fuel dilution is a thing on diesels. Just suprised to see 4K chopped off the longevity between oil changes.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Are you sure it's not time based rather than triggered by the miles? It will come on after one year or the mileage interval. Mine has always run to the full mileage interval.
maybe it wasn't reset at the dealer when you bought it and you're getting a calendar year from date of manufacture?

Old 09-18-2020, 04:47 AM
Winching
Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

My 2 cents..... I change mine every 8K.....just cheap insurance. ( but mine also showed 8400k for service...)

The following users liked this post:
AirRyan (09-29-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 07:26 AM
Drifting

I dont know it might be. We did a lot of low speed mountain driving. It was reset when I got it cause the day o drove it off the lot it has service engine cause they didn’t reset the oil mileage. They had to reflash the cluster with new firmware. So for sure 25k on the odo and it’s now 33k on the odo. Bought the truck two months ago.

Originally Posted by BritCars
Are you sure it's not time based rather than triggered by the miles? It will come on after one year or the mileage interval. Mine has always run to the full mileage interval.
maybe it wasn't reset at the dealer when you bought it and you're getting a calendar year from date of manufacture?

Old 09-18-2020, 08:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

When I took mine for service mid July they reset it to 16k.
The miles remaining until next service is dropping much faster than the miles drives however.
I have only done maybe 300 miles since then but it has dropped maybe double that.
I accelerate from stops at about 2,500rpm at most, mostly I am doing 45mph as it’s mainly surface streets.
But it is a lot of stop/start due to red light intersections, very hot weather here in Texas, and fairly short trips (maybe 20mins).
So I’m assuming it’s doing a calculation based on use, maybe temperature, trip lengths, idling and engine load etc.
Either that or someone screwed up the mileage countdown calculation...

Old 09-18-2020, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
When I took mine for service mid July they reset it to 16k.
The miles remaining until next service is dropping much faster than the miles drives however.
I have only done maybe 300 miles since then but it has dropped maybe double that.
I accelerate from stops at about 2,500rpm at most, mostly I am doing 45mph as it’s mainly surface streets.
But it is a lot of stop/start due to red light intersections, very hot weather here in Texas, and fairly short trips (maybe 20mins).
So I’m assuming it’s doing a calculation based on use, maybe temperature, trip lengths, idling and engine load etc.
Either that or someone screwed up the mileage countdown calculation...
Bad metric to imperial conversions have crashed satellites before.... lol
I'd put small money on heat being the factor. In afew years someone can report their logbook on oil changes and look in to seasonal differences i guess.

Old 09-18-2020, 11:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasLandmark
Bad metric to imperial conversions have crashed satellites before....
True!

Quick Reply: **Oil change interval 8300miles?