Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 First Edition Disco - Issues in Rain/Snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 08:11 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 First Edition Disco - Issues in Rain/Snow

New here so I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but had a really hard time with control on our trip over the weekend. It started with rain...anytime I'd go over even the smallest spot of water on the road, the car would jump like it was trying to correct itself. It felt similar to hydroplaning, but it wasn't. It wasn't enough water to make the car hydroplane. Anyway, as we continues further north, we got into some snow. It wasn't a lot of snow, but I slowed to make sure I didn't hit any icy spots. As we would come to small areas of snow, I started having the same issues. It would jump almost like it was trying to correct itself with the lane keep and I would lose control of the car for a second. I tried turning the lane keep off as well and it didn't have any affect. These weren't areas where it was slick and I was sliding. Small little cars, other SUVs and even semis were driving just fine in this. I've driven in snow before (and much heavier rain) and this has never happened. The only thing I can thing of is I just had two new rear tires put on, then they did a normal balance and alignment. Would they have triggered anything when they were doing that that would mess with the car's systems? I'm positive this isn't a tire traction issue. Just really weird, but made for a really difficult drive this weekend. Thanks for any help.

Old 01-18-2022, 09:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

If you replaced just your rear tires it makes me question the condition of the front tires.
What brand, size, tire pressure, and tread depth do you have?
This does not sound normal. My 2017 feels totally secure in raind and snow.

Old 01-18-2022, 02:49 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
If you replaced just your rear tires it makes me question the condition of the front tires.
What brand, size, tire pressure, and tread depth do you have?
This does not sound normal. My 2017 feels totally secure in raind and snow.
They are Goodyear Alenza, 21. Not sure of the tread depth but they are slightly under-inflated due to the cold we've had here, which should have helped. I recently had the other two replaced and I was waiting on these two to come in. They've apparently had issues finding the right tires for some vehicles.

Old 01-18-2022, 03:27 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Are the new and old tires all the same pressure? I agree with ponderosajack regarding the remaining tread life on the old tires.

Also any evidence in the 4x4 application regarding loss of traction (yellow arrows) for each tire while you are driving?

Old 01-18-2022, 03:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have 20 inch wheels and run all terrain tires. I am one of the minority that keep my tire pressure at the higher setting (44 front and50 rear) because the supposedly harder ride doesn’t bother me. I also keep my pressure set every month so as the weather gets colder I am still at the desired pressures.
I don’t think your 21 inchers should matter much for what you are experiencing but I am not a fan of those Goodyear tires. Probably not really adequate for the weight of the vehicle but that’s personal opinion.
Maybe your lower tire pressures are to blame. Worth checking the ride at higher pressures.

The following users liked this post:
James Wray (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 08:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I have NEVER replaced just 2 tires on an AWD vehicle. Might look into that . . .

Old 01-18-2022, 08:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If the front two tires are worn more than rear two that could cause increased wear to the all wheel drive system or cause application of brakes when system detects differing wheel rotation speeds.
If a tire is worn down by 8/32nds inch more than another that would be just under 1 percent different rotational speed difference. Seems like it could cause application of the traction control system.