Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 D5 Leaking Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 09:52 AM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2018 D5 Leaking Windshield

Add another to the list. Winter is over and our Discovery now has the dreaded leaking windshield. Water was streaming down the passenger side of the window. Completely soaked the A-pillar airbag, part of the headliner and down into the dash. Ours will be shipped back down from Alaska to Washington for repair. The dealer indicated that a recall is in the works for the windshield. He indicated they have seen quite a few.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKDiscovery
Add another to the list. Winter is over and our Discovery now has the dreaded leaking windshield. Water was streaming down the passenger side of the window. Completely soaked the A-pillar airbag, part of the headliner and down into the dash. Ours will be shipped back down from Alaska to Washington for repair. The dealer indicated that a recall is in the works for the windshield. He indicated they have seen quite a few.
Had my windshield replaced today...2017 D5 Td6
Was told that earlier builds had that problem and a recall was initiated for those earlier models.
Seeing a2018 with the same issue is concerning

Old 04-27-2019, 10:03 AM
4wd Low

Update: They are having to replace the windshield. The new windshield arrives next week, and then they can install it and ship the vehicle back to Alaska. They also fixed the stuck CD compartment door on the dash while it was there.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:06 AM
4wd Low

Not good stats so far: We've had the Discovery for 10 months and it will have been out-of-service for repairs for 4 of the 10 months.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My D5 2017 HSE sei6 just got dropped off today. Seconds time in for leaking. I live in Southern California and it doesn’t even rain that much here and it’s garaged often.
The second time was really bad my visor above my head was dripping wet soaked and the entire a pillar was soaking wet. I was only driving for about 15 to 20 minutes in light rain.
All over the headliner almost to the sunroof. The first time I took it in they said they resealed the windshield. The second time I’m not sure what’s going to happen I was told it was not included in the recall.
I’m assuming it’s the windshield problem again. I hope it’s not something else has anyone heard of anything else out there other than the windshield being a problem?
I’m also a little worried about this water in the cabin causing any problems with any other components maybe electronics. This is my first land rover after leaving the Lexus brow i’m also a little worried about this water in the cabin causing any problems with any other components maybe electronics. This is my first land rover after leaving the Lexus brand.

The following users liked this post:
StarkGreen (08-19-2021)
Old 04-29-2019, 02:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 714 Likes on 601 Posts

Well this is disconcerting. Seems like a major design flaw. You think they would have learned from the LR3 where water entry can cause havoc on lots of systems that very much depend on each other. Loriebluedico5, you are saying the first time they did not replace it? I would push for that at no expense to you. Push hard, they will do it. Then before you leave the lot ask for a garden hose and soak it down right on the spot.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:33 PM
Three Wheeling

The first time they told me that they needed to re-seal the windshield which is what they claim they did. This time it’s leaking even worse ironically after they claim to have sealed the windshield. I’ll see what they say when they come back to me today or tomorrow but most likely I would just asked for a complete replacement. I can’t imagine it being something other than the windshield?
I’m also reading all of the forums that when people get loaner cars for these problems they actually get a decent Jaguar Land Rover products maybe another discovery or a range rover Velar. My current dealer will only give me a bone stock Two-year-old XE Jaguar.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 714 Likes on 601 Posts

Honestly, I would try another dealer. It sounds like one that A) is not aware of the issue B) just wants to get it fixed for as cheap as they can. Really if there is a recall on this, it needs to be done right. My gut says the sealing they did was not an LR approved method of repair. Could be wrong, just seems odd if others have had them replaced.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:47 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2017 D5 has just started leaking. Water came in through the console unit in the middle of the upper windscreen where you operate the electric sunroof and call SOS etc. Pretty annoying for a £75k car to leak. Mine is still under warranty but it runs out in March. I'm wondering whether I take quite aggressive action with Land Rover under the warranty as don't want to be left with this problem outside of the warranty period. This is especially so seeing that they were unable to fix your leak. How has this worked out for you now? has the leaking stopped? Also, did you have any problems with the electrics and also mould growing in the Vehicle?

Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 AM
Three Wheeling

Go to the dealer ASAP and tell them to replace the windshield. Mine replaced it right away and leaking is gone. This was unfortunately the second time I brought it in for leaking. I believe there is a service bulletin out there.
I have no signs of mold or electrical problems yet.
I really do enjoy the car but I have 2 years left on my warranty and I am contemplating what to do with it. Extend warranty or sell and move on. My 2006 LR3 has never seen a drop of water in the cabin ever. I think I may just be lucky on that one.

The following users liked this post:
StarkGreen (08-19-2021)

Quick Reply: 2018 D5 Leaking Windshield