New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Discovery w/ Diesel and 5 passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 11:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Can you remove the OEM “foam” in the compartments? Looks like it will add a lot more space. I took out the foam on our 7 pax as it seems to be configured for tools, gave enough space for first aid, tire patch kit and good jumper cables.

Can only imagine how much more space the 5 pax would have.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:45 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at purchasing a Discovery, preferably a Diesel with 5 passenger configuration, as the towing vehicle for my trailer.

I am very puzzled by some of the specifications provided by Land Rover, both in the "Tire and Loading" information label on the driver's side door area of actual vehicles (with the Diesel and the 5 passenger configuration) and the detailed specifications provided in the Discovery spec sheets etc. .

For example (see below), it makes no sense to me that the Gross Vehicle Weight rating is higher for the 7 passenger than the 5 passenger, with both having the same Curb Weight. Also, the 7 passenger has a higher Rear Axle rating.

Yes, I understand that 7 passengers weigh more than 5 passengers, but that should not affect the Gross Vehicle Weight maximum capacity, unless they actually beef up the suspension, etc. to accommodate the extra 2 passengers. Do they really do that, I doubt it.

I would expect the Curb Weight of the 5 passenger to be lower than the 7 passenger and their maximum Gross Vehicle Weight to be the same. Thus, allowing a larger net Payload (GVWR minus Curb weight) for the 5 passenger than 7 passenger. Yet, the numbers below show just the opposite.

Note: I understand that the actual Curb Weight will vary depending on options/accessories, etc. Nevertheless, it seems odd that LR would state the 5 passenger and 7 passenger as the same, but also more puzzling is that their GVWR are different. The best way, of course, to get the actual Curb Weight is to have it weighed at a CAT or similar scale.

Now it gets even more confusing. The actual "Tire and Loading" information from the stickers on two Discoveries with Diesel and 5 passenger configuration show a total allowable net Cargo (driver + passengers + cargo) of only 826 lbs. That's not much. And, it is significantly less than if you subtract the GVWR numbers above from the stated Curb Weight. And, if you're towing anything, you need to subtract the tongue weight of the trailer (which can be hundreds of pounds) from this net 826 libs. leaving even less weight capacity for driver + passengers + cargo.

Why is the 826 lbs so low? Is it because of the load ratings of the tires themselves rather than the vehicle and the "net" payload difference between the empty weight of the vehicle and its allowable GVWR?

I've spoken to three dealers and none of them has any clue, and they don't seem to care to spend any time trying to answer my questions. Their answer basically is "Land Rovers make great tow vehicles and it is up to you to figure this out yourself." Surely, there are some experts within the Land Rover organization who can provide very precise and accurate answers.

Any insights, folks?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bryan

Last edited by shannonlab; 04-03-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with your assessment and it looks like lazy work on behalf of LR - They just passed on it and didn't dig into the nitty gritty of the topic and gave generalized answers. To be more detailed they would have to factor in the suspension options as well as other equipment (transfer cases, etc.). and I would bet that as you step up the model line the Discovery likely get heavier (SE - HSE - Lux) . If you know what you are towing and already have it, drag it down to the dealership and hook it up. Sometimes a little trial and error beats compiling data and hoping the data is accurate. From what I have heard the Td6 is a towing beast too. My local dealer tows his boat with one and loves it.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 18 Disco
It was OEM. The under deck storage is great and most of the dealerships are totally unaware of what this configuration looks like or where the spare tire is located. Everyone gets excited about 7 PAX, but I had a 7 PAX vehicle for 10 years and put 7 people in it once. What I discovered is that the "way back seat" stayed down all the time and if something spilled in the cargo area it made a huge mess (think spilled milk). I was also hauling around 100 extra pounds of seat I didn't need and didn't have organized space to store essentials (first aid, recovery gear, foul weather seat covers, etc.). Ordering a 5 PAX configuration solved all those problems - Thank You Land Rover
Heh. Preaching to the choir. I tried like the dickens to convince my wife we didn't need 7 pass capacity as we used it only a couple times over 3 years during her X5 lease. Really wanted a Cayenne for her. But she insisted "just in case" which is practically never.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Just like almost none of the page numbers are accurate in the index on our owners' manual. Doesn't anyone proof read this crap? Too much trouble!

Old 10-26-2020, 06:53 AM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

All - I currently drive a '08 LR3 and I use it to tow my 24ft travel trailer. It does amazing and I like the vehicle a lot. I did do my on paper calculations and everything I read and calculated said that the LR3 was plenty capable from a vehicle payload perspective. Even the door jamb tire pressure and GVWR lables. However I ran it across scales and I'm over 200lbs GVWR with 600lbs of family, 50lbs of misc stuff inside and a 550lb tongue weight. I don't trust the documentation anymore for sure.

That said, I'm looking into buying a Discovery V because of its documented high payload +2000lbs. I get that configurations and options subtract from that, but they number is at least a few hundred Lbs more than the LR3. The tire pressure label posted earlier is absolutely disappointing...826lb max??? That's ridiculously low. The LR3's label is 1400lbs. Really confused now. Anyone else have similar numbers posted on the tire labels and or weighed the vehicle? Thanks a bunch everyone.

Last edited by RyanLR3; 10-26-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:32 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow glad I looked. The decal on my 19 SE TDi 5 seater says shows exactly the same thing. Clearly it's wrong (5 passengers @ 80 KG being over limit? Yeah nah).

I'd go with the published tables which shows you the room, and print off a copy as enforcement 99% go with decals. This is mine:
https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G2257377
https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/.../proc/G1942179

I used to tow a 26' TT with a 05 HSE, surprisingly good tow vehicle but for mileage and max tongue weight - if you have the conventional detachable receiver, it looks like you're over, and hopefully you're not compounding by running a longer distance from ball to receiver!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION.pdf (636.8 KB, 123 views)
Old 11-22-2020, 12:05 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

We faced the same battle as @shannonlab when we shopped for our Disco. I wanted a diesel SUV that could tow our 6,000-pound camper more economically than our Raptor (7 MPG on premium gas!). With VW and Porsche out of the diesel game, that left Land Rover. Neither of us wanted the 7-seat option, but everything we read and heard from the dealer indicated that the 7-seat versions had significantly more payload capacity than the 5-seat version. I agree this is completely counter-intuitive unless there are hidden changes to the rear suspension with the 7-seat option, but without any contradictory information we went with the 7-seat option. Our placard shows a maximum of 1,157 pounds for occupants and cargo.

Old 11-22-2020, 05:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

No reason why 7 seat vs 5 should have more payload. Except that the base 5 seat doesn't get the air suspension and selecting 7 seats also adds in air suspension
I think on the most recent models they are now all air suspension. Seemed unnecessary to have a base model without it.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
No reason why 7 seat vs 5 should have more payload. Except that the base 5 seat doesn't get the air suspension and selecting 7 seats also adds in air suspension
I think on the most recent models they are now all air suspension. Seemed unnecessary to have a base model without it.
The Capability Package, which is available in both the 5-Seat and 7-Seat versions, is what has the air suspension. The one difference between the two that makes absolutely no sense is that the 7-Seat Capability Package has a locking differential but the 5-seat Capability Package does not. Those venturing off road (where a locking differential might come in handy) will have the rear cargo area packed with gear, not two extra bodies!

I also question whether the 7-Seat version can have a full-size spare. https://www.landroverusa.com/build-your-own/index.html shows that it can, but my dealer service rep says there's no room for a full-size spare under the third row of seating. Please weigh in if you're a 7-Seat owner and have a full-size spare.

Quick Reply: 2019 Discovery w/ Diesel and 5 passenger?