New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023-2024 Disco 5 still compatible with 20" RRS rims?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2024, 02:15 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2023-2024 Disco 5 still compatible with 20" RRS rims?

My apologies if this seems like a trivial question for LR old timers, but it's a topic I keep seeing conflicting information on.

As many folks with a Disco 5, I'm looking to replace stock 21" wheels with 20" ones on a 2024 Disco P360 Dynamic SE. I read the master thread (and many others), and the consensus is that 20" rims from RRS should fit the Disco without modifications. After all, the vehicle comes with 20" rims in lower trims, and the sticker lists 8.5Jx20 as a supported OEM size. Still, that thread is a couple of years old, so things might have changed.

I did my research on wheel-size dot com, which lists all the wheel specs: 8.5Jx20 ET47, center bore 72.6, bolt pattern 5x120. On to ebay then. There's no shortage of listings for a popular rim model #72252 (LR044848) in silver or gloss black. I check the specs, it all looks good. But when I reached out to a couple of sellers, I got the same reply: these rims are for model years up to 2022, you need rims for 2023-2024.

I'm hoping someone here could offer some guidance based on their own knowledge/experience. My gut feeling is that the rims are fine but Ebay sellers keep reusing older listings and say "these won't fit" simply to avoid liability. I googled the rim model "72252" against "landroverforums.com" and found threads suggesting people are using those rims, but those threads are from 2022 and before.

Ebay examples:
  • This listing is for rim model 72252 in gloss black, and states "up to 2022 only": Ebay link
  • This listing is for rim model 72252 (same as above) except in silver, claiming to be compatible with all model years including 2024: Ebay link.
I spent a few days researching this, and I'm starting to go crazy. Please send help!

Last edited by arednemoks; 04-14-2024 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:57 AM
6th Gear

To answer my own question: yes, those rims still fit. I spoke to a LR parts people, and there's no "year" designation as such. As long as the mounting specs match the vehicle, the rims fit. I've already mounted them on the vehicle (with new tires and all), and they work just fine.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by arednemoks
To answer my own question: yes, those rims still fit. I spoke to a LR parts people, and there's no "year" designation as such. As long as the mounting specs match the vehicle, the rims fit. I've already mounted them on the vehicle (with new tires and all), and they work just fine.
Nice work!

Old 05-02-2024, 01:54 PM
6th Gear

Haha, you beat me to it, I just went to take some pictures. This is a very conservative wheel swap using OEM sizes and regular road tires, nothing to brag about. For anyone interested, this is how the car looks with #72252 (LR044848) rims wrapped in 255/55R20 Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Pictures show "normal" ride height. I also replaced the temporary spare with a full-size (same rim & tire). Again, this is an OEM wheel size, so obviously there's no rubbing at any height.

The car originally came with 21" wheels on Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires (275/45R21). Probably the worst tire I've ever had, extremely loud and stiff. The Defenders feel like driving on a cloud in comparison. The 255/55R20 size is also more than enough sidewall for what I'm doing (dispersed camping along forest roads and light trails in Colorado). Even with rims off eBay, spending the $$$ to go one inch down with different tires felt like a questionable financial decision, but the tires alone make such a huge difference in comfort, I'm already glad I did it.

The other tires I considered:
  1. Bridgestone WeatherPeak. I have them on another vehicle, they're 3-peak rated and I've been happy with them. Unfortunately, they have a much lower weight rating, so I didn't chose them.
  2. Michelin CrossClimate 2. Everyone is raving about how good they are in rain and snow, but I found a large number of comments from people complaining about noise and firmness on lateral imperfections. Where I live in CO, roads feel less like "pavement" and more like "concrete stairs", so that was a big concern for me.
The Defenders LTX aren't 3PMSF rated, but I've done tons of driving in snow, and with way worse tires, so they should be more than adequate. TireRack tests and reviews are also very good for light snow conditions.

The following users liked this post:
adam5 (05-02-2024)
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
6th Gear

A couple more pictures from the first test drive up Rampart Range via Mount Herman Road (near Monument, CO). The tires are proving to be extremely comfortable on the highway, and very confident off pavement. Washboard roads were a damn torture on factory tires, now they're completely fine. No need to slow way down before potholes and small rocks, overall a very enjoyable ride on light trails.

Pictures show off-road ride height.

Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

nicely done