New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2023 discovery - should I choose the 2.0 or 3.0?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 09:35 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2023 discovery - should I choose the 2.0 or 3.0?

Dealer has a custom order slot for the R dynamic 3.0 / 355 HP / P360 but it’s about $8000 more expensive than the base 2.0 / 296 HP / P300 version here in US.

Hence it’s a bit over our budget. If order 2.0 might need to wait longer before 2.0 liter slot opens.

Obviously it’s more powerful but we don’t really care for the less than one second 0-60mph difference. The other benefit is the R dynamic design which again we don’t care much (maybe except the fog light that’s only with R dynamic)

Trying to see if there’s a reason to justify for it: e.g long term maintenance, resale value etc.

Last edited by figoland; 01-02-2022 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 08:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

It comes down to if you are willing to "save" $8k for a car that'll come much later. Or "pay" $8k to have a car sooner.

Personally I think the 3L is a better performing engine overall. Power is seamless and plentiful. Overall I think it makes it the better driving car overall. Both 2.0L and 3.0L are great engines.

Other considerations:
-In this market right now, I don't think it'll affect resale as there really is no inventory available
-Best case, automotive inventory will "begin to" return to normal end of 2022/beginning of 2023
-LR is bumping orders right now and "deleting for you" certain options if they can't get ahold of them. They are suffering from severe shortages. Heck I've been waiting for 6 months on a new auto-fold headrest.

If this is your "forever car" (hold onto for next 5+ years) then heck yeah get what you WANT.

The following users liked this post:
figoland (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by figoland
Dealer has a custom order slot for the R dynamic 3.0 / 355 HP / P360 but it’s about $8000 more expensive than the base 2.0 / 296 HP / P300 version here in US.
First of all, it is your personal option (and budgetary of course).
In my humble opinion, I think the P360 is a much better car. Again, money aside we are talking technical stuff here.
The R-Dynamic has a better transmission and engine. Is not always about 0-60, is about getting you out of trouble when you need it, and giving you the power at the time you need, not 10 s later.
I had both vehicles ( a '22 model of 2.0 and the P360). I found the difference to be worth those 8k. Every penny. Ride, feel, shifting, and if you go (even a bit) offroad, you will definitely feel it.
Ultimately is your choice.
Why not try a lease and then, later, decide : keep or no-keep.
Best of luck to you.

vapormike (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 10:45 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Both great cars. Presuming you've tried both and have no strong preference, there's a lot of unknowns. If they're guaranteeing slots and you can't wait, there's your answer. I don't think anyone rightly can predict residuals now. I've driven both and would pocket the $8k for a vacation (full disclosure, I have a TD however had strong convictions on the motor, not the spec level). Good luck no matter what.

Old 01-05-2022, 09:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
First of all, it is your personal option (and budgetary of course).
In my humble opinion, I think the P360 is a much better car. Again, money aside we are talking technical stuff here.
The R-Dynamic has a better transmission and engine. Is not always about 0-60, is about getting you out of trouble when you need it, and giving you the power at the time you need, not 10 s later.
I had both vehicles ( a '22 model of 2.0 and the P360). I found the difference to be worth those 8k. Every penny. Ride, feel, shifting, and if you go (even a bit) offroad, you will definitely feel it.
Ultimately is your choice.
Why not try a lease and then, later, decide : keep or no-keep.
Best of luck to you.
is there something magical about leasing I don’t know? I’ve never done it and it always seems like the lease price is 50% more than just making monthly payments.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
I’ve never done it and it always seems like the lease price is 50% more than just making monthly payments.
Absolutely not.
Will a lease cost you a bit more ? Yes. Over all - if you decide to purchase the vehicle - you will pay 1500 to 2000 more - talking here about a Disco 5 HSE.
Monthly payments are "adjustable" based on your downpayment.
All my vehicles are leased first and then, if I like it and did not had issues, I buy them.
Why ?
Life experience.
Example - I had a vehicle (not going to name the brand - but not an LR), which developed software issues at 511 miles. The manufacturer changed my vehicle in less than a month when they have seen that they can't fix it.
At the same time, a friend of mine, got the same version of vehicle, but he purchased outright, rather than leasing. Same issues, and errors. Unfixable still, after more than 3 years. It is now 3 1/2 years since he is suing the manufacturer and trying to recoup his money.
Any dealer or manufacturer, will take a better care of a leased vehicle than a purchased one. Why ? because they have skin in the game. They don't know if you will buy it, and if it is a dud, they stand to loose more than you ( all the residual ? ).
So for me, it is like a sort of car insurance.
Another good deal I had - my previous RR Velar. Leased.
Residual was something at 45k. I went to CarMax, and sold it. They paid me 59 k, and they took care of closing the lease, and all. So, at the end of the day, I made about 12k.
Now I understand these are crazy times, but.... it is what it is.
Lease also can be written off if you have a small business, or self employed.
I love them.

dinkeldorf (01-05-2022)
Old 01-06-2022, 11:58 AM
4wd Low

Thx everyone for the input!

I end up signing up for the 3.0 given the slot is confirmed. I also talked to another dealer and they are ok to put me into the queue for a 2.0 as well (but not confirmed slot so no date yet). In today’s market I guess they don’t really care if you buy at the end since someone else will buy with markup when it arrives. They just use your name to book one. For more context, I'm currently under a lease and it will end in May. So the 3.0's estimated April arrival will be perfect timing. But we can also see how the 2.0 slot is gonna be and if far away we will just "bite the bullet" and pay the premium to get the 3.0. That's my current thinking.

I did confirm with both dealers that it will be at MSRP price with no markup (seems not in hot demand - defender will need at least $5k juice).

The price confirmation are via email or text not in formal purchase agreement form. Should I be worried and push for a formal document with wet ink?

Last edited by figoland; 01-06-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:06 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by figoland
Thx everyone for the input!

I end up signing up for the 3.0 given the slot is confirmed. I also talked to another dealer and they are ok to put me into the queue for a 2.0 as well (but not confirmed slot so no date yet). In today’s market I guess they don’t really care if you buy at the end since someone else will buy with markup when it arrives. They just use your name to book one. For more context, I'm currently under a lease and it will end in May. So the 3.0's estimated April arrival will be perfect timing. But we can also see how the 2.0 slot is gonna be and if far away we will just "bite the bullet" and pay the premium to get the 3.0. That's my current thinking.

I did confirm with both dealers that it will be at MSRP price with no markup (seems not in hot demand - defender will need at least $5k juice).

The price confirmation are via email or text not in formal purchase agreement form. Should I be worried and push for a formal document with wet ink?
Did they say your car wouldn't come with certain options? I was told when I went to the dealership in portland that custom orders wouldn't come w/ 360 degree camera, adaptive cruise control, HUD, etc.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they say anything about certain options not being included in your model because of the chip shortage? Portland dealership told me wouldn't have HUD/360 camera/adaptive cruise control, etc. But that was a few months ago. I've been looking for CPO but half of them are busted up because dealerships are rushing them through servicing and refurbishing so I think I might switch to new.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:15 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by sol5656
Did they say anything about certain options not being included in your model because of the chip shortage? Portland dealership told me wouldn't have HUD/360 camera/adaptive cruise control, etc. But that was a few months ago. I've been looking for CPO but half of them are busted up because dealerships are rushing them through servicing and refurbishing so I think I might switch to new.
The dealer that quoted me 2.0 engine says the followings are not available:
- interactive driver display (only available to metro edition)
- cabin air filter (option)
- heads-up display (option)

I saw in order pdf that the followings are there so I assume they are committed for production:
- 065AP Adaptive Cruise Control
- 086GP 3D Surround Camera

Missing the interactive driver display bugs me a bit since I think pre 2021 MY this is standard for HSE etc. If chip shortage recovers in a year or two, my discovery might be only MY with the analog (with a small screen - I think the same as lower trim on discovery sport).

Still yet to hear from the dealer of 3.0 engine of what's not available (wonder if they will say anything different). I can post it here once I have the order pdf.

Last edited by figoland; 01-06-2022 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 2023 discovery - should I choose the 2.0 or 3.0?