New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 3 Amigos? So last week... Now they show up with 3 brides too!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 01:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I agree.

I think the software problems are likely down to insufficiently tested code. Everything from unit tests through integration tests and so on.
They really need to get on top of their software resiliency and frankly their lifecycle and pipelines.

I wish LR would take a pause from adding new gee whizz features to deal with their software and general reliability and initial quality issues. They’re fat enough ahead on the test that they can afford to spend 2 years on projects prioritizing that. After all Toyota/Lexus manage to sell plenty of their extremely dated Land Cruisers based on reliability alone (as they frankly have nothing else going for them).

I do wish the reset cycle was not so long. Just pulling over and shutting off the engine and opening the door should be enough to reset the system instead of having to shut it all down for like 20 minutes which is hardly practical.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

We laugh but these could be WIndows Vista peeps writing code for JLR now . . .

Old 06-21-2020, 09:23 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Kill the gimics get back to basics

Just wish they would kill the gimics and get back to the necessities and make them flawless.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Has something similar when I first got mine and it needed a software update for the computer that runs the instrument cluster and talks to everything. No inControl but a separate complete update for the cluster.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Well, I got the D5 back from its first annual maintenance today.

With rgards to the errors in the original post the tech report says "DOWNLOAD NEEDED" which was an update to the "CCF-GATEWAY MODULE" whatever that module is...

As I stated above the ABS warning light etc were all gone the next day but I did have a check engine light instead (I don't remember if the check engine light came on as well as the ABS warning light the day before but it's presumably related).
With regards to the check engine light concern the tech report says "UPDATE PCM MODULE".

So essentially the report says two updates were needed, the CCF-GATEWAY and PCM modules.
Did they just need an update anyway or was the lack of said update the actual cause? Who knows... I feel "flashed an update" is the go-to answer along the lines of, try turning if off and on again.
I had suggested a wheel speed sensor but according to the service advisor the tech said there was no code to that effect and they look fine and are working, it just needed updates.

Hopefully that sorts it.

A rattle I reported from the back that appears on the worst surfaces which I suggested may have been the rear seat (but I suspect is from the trunk actually) is still there despite the tech claiming to have found the rear seat frame loose and tightened it. Ho hum...

Finally they claim to have fixed the AC controls storage door which randomly doesn't work (presumably depends on temperature) and wasn't working (thankfully) when I dropped it off and is now working, but again, different weather today so I won't know for sure for some time.

But those are minor issues, so I'm not complaining given the far more serious problems some others on here have.