New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some input on Discovery options

Old 07-19-2018, 10:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Need some input on Discovery options

We are looking at getting a new 2019 (maybe 2018) Disco. They get pricey quickly if you have a heavy hand at the option boxes, but a number of options seem overkill and I am looking for some feedback on experiences with these.
  • Drive Pro Package vs Drive Package - Not sure how useful Adaptive Cruise control and Lane keep assist is, especially if you can get Lane Departure Warning
  • Park Assist vs Just getting the Surround Camera (think this may be useful offroad as well) and the 360 Parking Aid
  • 7 Seat Luxury Climate Comfort Package - Not sure if the massage seats are worth it, and also how well the cooling seats work (seems the only way to get the front cooling seats is to get this package) vs perhaps just the four-zone climate control

Old 07-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently picked up an 18' as my car sold a lot faster than expected, I was going to order a 19' exactly the way I wanted it. Therefore, I got a few extra packages that I didn't build out but I am happy with so far:
1. Drive Pro Package: ACC is actually very good, wasn't something I wanted but definitely something I will use moving forward. I don't use the lane keep assist, but I do like the lane departure warning.
2. Surround Camera is awesome, definitely something I will use when off-road.
3. Lux Package: I needed the 4 zone as I travel with my two dogs all the time. What I have noticed is the blower on the driver side is much stronger in the back than the passenger. Cool seats are freaking awesome, I did want these and I am happy I got them. Massage chairs, its ok not to powerful but I could see on a long ride it would be pretty good to get the blood flowing. When I built mine I had seat package 4 which had cool/heated seats - I would definitely do that but I could live without the massage. Now my better half loves the massage so I am sure it will get used.

Congrats in advance on the purchase, so far I am stoked with my D5.

The following users liked this post:
andries (08-08-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 01:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I had the drive pro in a loaner Jag for a couple weeks when my LR4 had some things done. I did really like it. My D5 Lux just has the Drive. I would've liked the lane keep assist and cruise but it's not that important if you pay attention while you drive, if you have a texter in the family it's a MUST. Very useful.

I have vision assist and 360°. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but to use 360° I have to push a couple buttons on the screen first before it comes up, park assist sensors just come up when put in R. Maybe it can be set to auto? That would be nice if someone knows how?

The cooled seats are WONDERFUL. Definitely get them and the massage isn't just a vibrator in the seat, it actually has some force and rolls around in 3-4 spots. I enjoy it.

Lemme know if you have any questions.
Adam

Last edited by FlyFishing701; 07-20-2018 at 01:44 AM.
andries (08-08-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the input. Here in Northern CA the summers and sun can get hot, so it seems the cooled seats, which seems to only come with the package is a must. My wife will do most of the daily driving and the Pro package may be helpful for her. Though I have had a few close calls due to distraction over the years as well.

WIth tax, etc the HSE Lux ends up in the $84-85k at MSRP, was hoping to get it down to $80 or less.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for the cooled seats. They are freaking AWESOME. I have the seat package 4, no message, but wanted the 4 zone heating and cooling for the kids in the 3rd row. I also really like the heated steering wheel. I picked up my ride in April and was able to use it few times. I haven't had a chance to use the heated windshield yet but given the freakin' size of that thing I'm sure it was money well spent. It might be worth looking into if you get ice and snow where you live...

andries (08-08-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:08 PM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered 2019 not long ago, for me the Adaptive Cruise Control and the 360 are must. Wouldn't go without ACC in any new car, especially if you do a lot of highway driving.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The cost was not an issue but getting what I wanted was. I drive it 35-40k miles per year so take my comments in that context.

Drive Pro a must: AAC used all the time. I do not use lane assist (nudge for empty lanes) but have it set so that it will push me back if there is a vehicle in that lane. Very useful.

Park Assist another must for this wide vehicle:: Use the 360 camera all the time to make sure I am in the spot centered.

7 seat pack also a must: When my 4 climate was not balanced well, the dealer found that JLR did not fully charge the system. After the dealer charged it, the car is almost too cold and well balanced. Massage is great - on a cold morning I put the heater and massager on and it feels good by the time I get to the office. The cooled seats take the bite out of the sun baked black leather or when I am just a little muggy. Work better than other cars I have had with that feature.

They are features that you can drive the car without, however, if you can afford it, they are features that make it that much more safe and enjoyable.

andries (08-08-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Just picked up a '17 pretty much loaded except for Advanced Tow Assist and the Drive Pro (has the regular drive package).

1) I am fine only having the regular drive package. The lane keep assist seems nice but I have also heard negatives regarding other vehicles. I would say go to the dealership and see if you can see the implementation.
2) I think park assist is great, and it includes the 360 camera system, so it really is only a few hundred extra for just the park assist feature. Having the 360 camera is amazing for parking this beast.
3) So glad I pushed for the upgrade here. The cooling seats are a godsend here in Florida. The upgrade in quality of leather is also worth it. Finally, the massage chairs, I find these really nice to breakup a long drive. They only run for a few minutes a time and provide a nice change from just sitting. Between the cooled seats and massage system, my wife was about to trade her vehicle in for mine.

andries (08-08-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Not a fan of the massage system (unneeded and complex), but the ventilated seats are actually very effective.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Just an update for folks that 2019 options have changed, and it seems the HSE lux comes standard with some of the items that was previously part of option packages. Took a bit working with the dealer to decipher between 2018 to 2019, and the brochure for 2019 was not available yet online.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some input on Discovery options