Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Dynamics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 01:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PurpleRain
Is this something offered on the RR or the RRS? Local shop foreman told me the d5 is built on the RR platform and "the reason it feels so boaty" in his words.
Adaptive Dynamics is standard on the trim levels of the RRS and FFRR that are labelled 'Dynamic' - over this side of the pond that's HSE Dynamic and Autobiography Dynamic. It took them a couple of model years to bring it in as an option on the Disco.

Your shop foreman was right - FFRR/RRS/Disco all share the D7u platform - Velar and below are on different platforms.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:29 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He told me the RRS was a different, smaller platform.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:31 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by PurpleRain
He told me the RRS was a different, smaller platform.
No, definitely the same :-)

Old 07-27-2019, 12:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Boaty . . .??

Granted, it ain't my Pepper or even our Q5 we sold to buy it, but I find this Discovery quite refined for what it is . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xggm...ature=youtu.be

The following users liked this post:
Groucho123 (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Agree...not boaty!
Want boaty? Drive most other SUV's of this size. GMC Yukon Denali is boaty! That's what I traded to get the Disco,

Old 08-07-2019, 12:41 AM
4wd Low

Just to round out my thoughts on this...

I picked up my Adaptive Dynamics equipped car yesterday and immediately started comparing it with the two non-AD Disco5s and two AD RRSs that I have driven.

My early thoughts are that the AD makes a significant difference in flattening out and controlling body movements in corners/roundabouts. The lovely initial roll-in on the air supspension remains, but the body then feels far more controlled. The non-AD cars were far more prone to bobbing about as you changed direction, especially such as right-sweep then left-sweep turns (typical roundabout moves over here).

Basically it now feels a lot like the RRS SDV6 and I would say testing a HSE Dynamic or Autobiography Dynamic gives the best impression of this option (Disco testers with this option are as good as non-existent).

IMHO - in Europe, I'd say this is a must-tick option. Nice to have even on the much more open roads in North America.

Ride quality remains great, by the way, the air springs are still doing their stuff unaffected - it is just the damping that is changed,

Old 08-07-2019, 12:50 AM
Rock Crawling

Good Info, thanks. I wonder if an upgrade is possible without a 2nd mortgage? Though I'm frankly not unhappy with the way ours handles now for being heavier and taller than my Pepper, it does quite well!

The following users liked this post:
Equilibrium (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:02 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Good Info, thanks. I wonder if an upgrade is possible without a 2nd mortgage? Though I'm frankly not unhappy with the way ours handles now for being heavier and taller than my Pepper, it does quite well!
You're welcome! Agree that the standard car is very good, it's on some of our tighter repeated direction-switches that can start to feel unsettled.

I have a feeling retrofitting would be difficult-to-impossible - new hardware and then making the car talk to that hardware.

I've also just found that Range Rovers and Range Rover Sports have an extra trick up their sleeve - Dynamic Response. My gentle driving made the AD D5 feel very RRS-like, but in-extremis I'm guessing that this active anti-roll helps the RRs even more...from landroveredison.com:

"Adaptive Dynamics continuously monitors and analyzes current road conditions and driving style, including speed, steering and body movement up to 500 times a second. This allows the system to select a wide range of dampening rates from extremely soft to extremely hard, or anywhere in between these two states. By doing so, the suspension system is continuously optimized to suit the driving conditions.

It is important to know Dynamic Response is a function of the sway bars, or anti-roll bars, and is only offered on Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, while Adaptive Dynamics is offered on all Land Rover models and is a feature found within the dampers or shock absorber."

Old 08-07-2019, 01:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Yup, just built a RRS with everything our Disco has plus the Adaptive Dynamics which is strangely in the OFFROAD package but the total coin was just above $90K compared to our $76K Disco. I think we'll limp along in our Disco . . .

Finally going to the mountains next week!

Can hardly wait. We were going in June and the wife could not get away at the last minute. The first serious offroad test at and above 9000ft.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
You're welcome! Agree that the standard car is very good, it's on some of our tighter repeated direction-switches that can start to feel unsettled.

I have a feeling retrofitting would be difficult-to-impossible - new hardware and then making the car talk to that hardware.

I've also just found that Range Rovers and Range Rover Sports have an extra trick up their sleeve - Dynamic Response. My gentle driving made the AD D5 feel very RRS-like, but in-extremis I'm guessing that this active anti-roll helps the RRs even more...from landroveredison.com:

"Adaptive Dynamics continuously monitors and analyzes current road conditions and driving style, including speed, steering and body movement up to 500 times a second. This allows the system to select a wide range of dampening rates from extremely soft to extremely hard, or anywhere in between these two states. By doing so, the suspension system is continuously optimized to suit the driving conditions.

It is important to know Dynamic Response is a function of the sway bars, or anti-roll bars, and is only offered on Range Rover and Range Rover Sport, while Adaptive Dynamics is offered on all Land Rover models and is a feature found within the dampers or shock absorber."

Hey there! Is your adaptive dynamics discovery 5 in North America or Europe? I Just took delivery of a fully loaded hse luxury td6 with the air suspension, locking diff and twin speed box but can not tell if it has the adaptive dampers? I am coming out of a se rrs td6 and am unhappy with the handling so far.

Is there a way to confirm if I have ad or not?

THANKS!

Quick Reply: Adaptive Dynamics?