New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autonomous braking is a not really autonomous :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 07:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts

Hi Ned - yes, a very good point. The dash display itself is all new and fully digital. But I believe much of the functionality behind it is the same.

Stardoc - the challenge with cross traffic is that the system simply doesn't have time to see it and react. It can do it with a pedestrian (only if you are moving at low speeds upto about 30mph). But a car moving quickly in front and it unfortunately can't react in time

Look into the NCAP stuff. It appears to have one of the best systems out there and is claimed to be very reliable. Clearly you hope never to have to 'test' it... but you do want the confidence that it will work when you need it!

Btw for what it's worth the AEB technology on many cars has been shown to massively decrease accident frequency and severity. It's really measurable. Whereas the lane assist warning / auto steering correct doesn't appear to make a measurable difference in real world driving.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

My wife was in a low speed 'collision' with AEB engaged. Another driver changed lanes and immediately stopped, all at >5 MPH. I was curious how this was possible, but this video shows that there may be times where a collision minimized but still possible (although they state at higher speeds).

Thankfully it was so low speed the license plate was the only thing damage and I get to hold it over her head for a while...

Old 05-03-2018, 12:40 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeckB
My wife was in a low speed 'collision' with AEB engaged. Another driver changed lanes and immediately stopped, all at >5 MPH. I was curious how this was possible, but this video shows that there may be times where a collision minimized but still possible (although they state at higher speeds).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XWkzPg8Nps

Thankfully it was so low speed the license plate was the only thing damage and I get to hold it over her head for a while...
As per Land Rover the system is not active below 5mph. However, I use the term 'active' in jest as I don't trust it at any speed. My own daily driver will visually and audio warn me if I'm approaching a car ahead at an unsafe rate. I've NEVER experienced a warming with my Land Rover.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:15 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been driving around more and I have gotten warnings.