Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cell reception fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 07:28 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cell reception fix?

My onboard cell reception in my disco sucks. Incontrol can’t communicate with it. It always has about 2bars less than my cellphone. Any tips to help this?

Old 07-29-2020, 07:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Mine is the same.

But hear in mind that the bar calculation is calculated differently even between different cell phones, The speed they react to changes in reception also varies (intentionally). Remember back when Apple had antennagate and various websites compared the rate at which phones went to 0 bars when they were put in a no signal situation? Some claimed good or partial signal for a lot longer than others even when in reality they were offline.
So... your car may be a bit more pessimistic in its bar display than your phone, and your phone very optimistic. There’s only a problem if your phone actually works connecting to the internet and your car doesn’t when parked in the same spot. That shouldn’t really happen given the car has an external antenna and the phone is inside the metal cage that is the car.
I did notice the Disco loses connection when the phone seems good (by comparing the continuously updating satellite map view on the car vs streaming music on the phone) but actually the streaming also got interrupted despite the phone claiming 2 bars. Sitting at a red light the streaming music buffer would run out and the phone would slowly go down to 0 bars. So I’m not 100% convinced there’s an actual problem with mine, but maybe... I think after getting a signal it does take time for the car to reaquire an actual data connection though.