Sponsored by:

Considering a 2018 TD6 HSE 35k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023 | 09:07 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Considering a 2018 TD6 HSE 35k miles

Hi all,

just sold our 2015 LR4 and looking for a used Discovery. I found a contender in a 2018 Discovery HSE TD6 with 35k miles. We have had 4 Land Rovers so far so kind of know about the quirks and issues. Been trying to research as much as I can on the diesel.

It recently came back from an inspection at an independent shop and while most of the notes were fine there is one section I’m hoping to get some insight on…

PUL ENGINE CODES, LIGHT WAS ON BUT ISNOW OFF VEHICLE HAD NUMEROUS HISTORY AND INTERMITTENT CODES, WE HAVE CLEARED AL CODES, TEST DROVE AND 1 CODE HAS RE-SET, THIS IS FOR THE IPMB, IMAGE PROCESSING MODULE B. THIS MAY REQUIRE ADAS
CALIBRATION AND SOFTWARETO PROPERLY CLEAR THIS CODE. NO LIGHT IS ON DASH.

im not familiar with the IPMB or image processing part. It does list minor front end damage, which I’m ok with as it was sold as a CPO shortly after. The carfax also indicates regular service at a LR dealership.

also worth noting that this vehicle is not local so haven’t seen it in person.

any thoughts or insights?
thanks

Old 09-26-2023 | 09:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

35k miles is pretty low for a 2018.

The number of codes is possibly concerning - but could also be from low battery voltage which can kick up codes that don't mean anything
I'd be more worried about the returning code - module error, electronic issue - can be very hard to diagnose and to repair

Would get full service history, understand the story incl the codes and the front collision. If I were you I'd ask them to resolve the codes before buying.

But - it's not a rare car. And this one has accident damage and potentially some module of electrical issues. I would prob pass.

Old 09-26-2023 | 10:18 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by BritCars
35k miles is pretty low for a 2018.

The number of codes is possibly concerning - but could also be from low battery voltage which can kick up codes that don't mean anything
I'd be more worried about the returning code - module error, electronic issue - can be very hard to diagnose and to repair

Would get full service history, understand the story incl the codes and the front collision. If I were you I'd ask them to resolve the codes before buying.

But - it's not a rare car. And this one has accident damage and potentially some module of electrical issues. I would prob pass.
there was a note in the inspection that the battery was a bit low

Old 09-26-2023 | 10:43 PM
Mudding

The the forward camera probably needs calibration or might be faulty. If it's clean I would scoop it up if it's a good price only if you're not going to drive for short trips regularly. Land Rover publishes information to that extent. The diesels survive if driven on highway and towing. If you're going to stop and go with minimal mileage daily hold out for a gasoline powered Discovery.

Old 09-27-2023 | 12:48 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by RyanLR3
The the forward camera probably needs calibration or might be faulty. If it's clean I would scoop it up if it's a good price only if you're not going to drive for short trips regularly. Land Rover publishes information to that extent. The diesels survive if driven on highway and towing. If you're going to stop and go with minimal mileage daily hold out for a gasoline powered Discovery.
would $29k-$31k be considered a good price? I tend to think yes but open to thoughts. We actually don’t drive a ton as I work from home and wife can walk to work. So it will be in the garage a decent amount of time. But when we do drive it will be a combination of longer highway trips and around town driving. Not sure if the sitting in the garage part is an issues as long as we get the longer highway trips in

Old 09-27-2023 | 04:12 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dwelcel
would $29k-$31k be considered a good price? I tend to think yes but open to thoughts. We actually don’t drive a ton as I work from home and wife can walk to work. So it will be in the garage a decent amount of time. But when we do drive it will be a combination of longer highway trips and around town driving. Not sure if the sitting in the garage part is an issues as long as we get the longer highway trips in
I paid ~$35k for my stripped down 2017 HSE in 2020, but that was before the used car prices became inflated. 30k doesn't seem unreasonable if it's clean. Just make sure drive cycles allow the vehicle to do full DPF regenerations when required and that doesn't mean wait until the vehicle warns that one is necessary. I monitor regens with a cell phone App, which is already posted in this forum. Using an app to track it probably not something most people are interested in. Worth it to me given the annoyance and costs associated with fixing plugged DPF, knowing it can be avoided. They'll all eventually plug with ash, but ensuring regens happen will when needed will prolong DPF service life.

Old 09-27-2023 | 06:20 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Very useful info. Monitoring with an app seems right up my alley. Will look for more info on that.

any thoughts on the dreaded crankshaft failure?

Old 09-27-2023 | 06:40 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dwelcel
Very useful info. Monitoring with an app seems right up my alley. Will look for more info on that.

any thoughts on the dreaded crankshaft failure?
No personal experience with crankshaft failure. It does happen, I'm not certain anyone know exactly what excites that failure mode. I'm willing to accept the risk. Mine is at 100k miles now, with what I assume if the original engine. You'll read about higher mileage failures I'm sure. Meh