Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Leasing 2019 Discovery SE - Maintenance Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 11:35 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Leasing 2019 Discovery SE - Maintenance Questions

Hi All...I am in the middle of negotiations on leasing a 2019 Land Rover Discovery SE. I was about to sign the papers and then I was told by salesperson that the scheduled maintenance is not included. I was surprised because other luxury makers cover this, except brakes and tires. They are now selling me packages of Land Rover Maintenance for $40.25 USD month 24 months/ 32000 miles and JM&A Term Care Select 33 months/41250 miles for $42.66 USD monthly.
So that’s an extra $82.91 monthly for 33 months.

I asked them for a schedule of maintenance for the vehicle or passport to service for the vehicle, but they are not providing it. Need to see what I am paying for. If anyone has this I would appreciate you sharing it.

Based on your experience is this normal? Do they negotiate on these packages? Would you recommend getting the package based on your experience?

Your help is appreciated as I am excited to have this car, and just want to feel good about it!

Old 08-31-2019, 12:12 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems awfully high for maintenance on a 33 month lease. Suggest, to them, that it is outrageous and you are going to move over to a Lincoln (full maintenance and concierge pickup and loaner included in their lease package) and see how the song changes.

Where are you located?

Old 08-31-2019, 12:52 PM
4th Gear

I am located in San Francisco, California. Let’s see if this game continues. These sales guys always go this kind of thing as I was expecting something to spring up in the 11th hour.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

Ask to see the Passport To Service pamphlet in each vehicle's Owner's Manual Folder.
For my 2017 (maybe 2019 is different))

Only required maintenance is:
Annually or 16K miles, whichever occurs first:
Oil and Filter (your onboard computer could shorten this interval)(I would do it more often if I were going to keep it past the lease).
Replace Pollen Filter
Reset service indicator
Check: Lights, warning indicators, horn, wipers, washers, seat belts, doors, latches, fuel door, battery, drive belts, parking. brake operation
Check and top up fluids (brake/coolant/washers)
Check specific gravity of coolant
Inspect brake pads, calipers, rotors
Adjust parking brake shoes
Check tire pressure, condition, tread depth, tow bar,
Road test Low Range gears
Address any recalls or Service Actions
Clean Debris from Auxiliary Oil Coolers

At 2 years or 32K miles:
All above plus:
Inspect exhaust system
Inspect for fluid leaks
Inspect driveshafts, suspension, steering boots
Inspect steering rod ***** joints, dust covers and EPAS water drain valve
Inspect fuel, brake , hydraulic, and fluid pipes, hoses and unions
Inspect electrical harnesses, routing and connections
Check for free play in suspension and body mounting bushings

At 3 years:
Change Brake Fluid
------------------------------------------------------
Below For Td6 Only:
Every 1 year/16K
Check DEF level
Top up DEF
Drain Fuel Filter Sedimentor

Every 2 years/32K
Replace Air Cleaner element
Drain DEF tank if vehicle driven less than 16K in 2 years

---------------------------------------------------
Long term items:
Spark Plugs at 5 years / 80K
Air Filter on Si6 at 4 years / 64K
Replace primary drive belt at 10 years/ 160K
Replace secondary/supercharger drive belt at 8 years / 128K
Replace camshaft timing belts (Td6 only) at 7 years / 112K
Change rear locking diff oil at 5 years / 80K
Change transfer case oil at 5 years / 80K
Change Engine Coolant at 10 years / 160K

The following 3 users liked this post by ponderosajack:
BchBum11511 (11-05-2019), David Hirshberg (01-05-2020), GeorgeSF (09-02-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 11:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

You stated: Land Rover Maintenance for $40.25 USD month 24 months/ 32000 miles and JM&A Term Care Select 33 months/41250 miles for $42.66 USD monthly.

Why would you buy both the 24 and 33 month packages? Isn't it one or the other base upon your lease term?

Old 09-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The factory includes first year maintenance (unless that has changed over the past year).

Old 09-02-2019, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear
Default Think about independent shop

Hey GeorgeSF. Just a suggestion, but you could research finding a reliable independent auto shop for your routine maintenance. We live at Lake Tahoe and discovered a great mechanic in South Shore. The critical piece is to ensure whoever does the work provides a detailed record of the completed maintenance. You'll need this should any warranty work be required.

By law, it is illegal for any manufacturer to require car owners to use the dealership for routine maintenance. See article by FTC; https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance.

I would think locating one in the Bay Area shouldn't be too difficult. Good luck. We love our Disco.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:49 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
You stated: Land Rover Maintenance for $40.25 USD month 24 months/ 32000 miles and JM&A Term Care Select 33 months/41250 miles for $42.66 USD monthly.

Why would you buy both the 24 and 33 month packages? Isn't it one or the other base upon your lease term?
Hey there...thanks for the great info! Since my lease is for 33 months or 27,500 miles. They gave me the plans that apply to that term lease, plus all the other non sense packages of debt protection and wheel protection, etc.

I plan on pricing out their services tomorrow and see if the plan is worth it, otherwise I will see if an independent shop can service it and keep warranty in place:

Old 09-02-2019, 12:52 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Greg Brooks
Hey GeorgeSF. Just a suggestion, but you could research finding a reliable independent auto shop for your routine maintenance. We live at Lake Tahoe and discovered a great mechanic in South Shore. The critical piece is to ensure whoever does the work provides a detailed record of the completed maintenance. You'll need this should any warranty work be required.

By law, it is illegal for any manufacturer to require car owners to use the dealership for routine maintenance. See article by FTC; https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance.

I would think locating one in the Bay Area shouldn't be too difficult. Good luck. We love our Disco.
Thanks for the suggestion. My friend who turned me on to Land Rover has a great mechanic that worked at Land Rover for years and parlayed that into a successful independent shop for Land Rover only. I will call them tomorrow and see if they have experience servicing leased vehicles and can provide the service records required. Was hoping to eliminate any potential issues when I return the car being that the dealership would service it, but their prices seem out of wack with the market.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
The factory includes first year maintenance (unless that has changed over the past year).
Land Rover quit providing service with new vehicles years ago. My 2006 Range Rover incl. all service while under warranty. When I got my '16 LR4, and now '19 D5 there was nothing included from LR. Maybe your local dealer throws in the first oil change?

Quick Reply: Considering Leasing 2019 Discovery SE - Maintenance Questions