New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked sunroof

Old 04-14-2019, 04:54 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked sunroof

My wife got in her 2018 Discovery HSE this morning and noticed that there is a large crack in the sunroof. There does not appear to be any sort of impact mark that would have caused this - has anyone experienced an issue similar to this?

Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Ouch, do you have a picture of the crack?
Don’t have one nor recall reading about a crack in the moonroof.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 AM
4th Gear
Default Picture of the crack in the sunroof

It was difficult to get a shot where the crack really stood out without being under cover. Unfortunately there’s a crack in the stucco of the porte corchere above the image that makes it difficult to differentiate the actual crack in the glass. I’ve drawn a line around the actual crack.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:48 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by edwingow
My wife got in her 2018 Discovery HSE this morning and noticed that there is a large crack in the sunroof. There does not appear to be any sort of impact mark that would have caused this - has anyone experienced an issue similar to this?
Could have been a multitude of things.
It is pretty easy to swap out though.
Remove the trim pieces on both sides and remove the screw mounting the glass.
Re-install and adjust

Old 10-07-2019, 06:48 PM
8th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Same thing here...

I have the same problem with my 2017 Disco. I opened the shade and looked up a few days ago and there is a crack going all the way across. Also no "star" pattern from impact or anything. I've had a lot of sun/moon roofs over the years, never had one break before. Did they fix your's under warranty?

Old 10-08-2019, 12:49 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Disco5tv
I have the same problem with my 2017 Disco. I opened the shade and looked up a few days ago and there is a crack going all the way across. Also no "star" pattern from impact or anything. I've had a lot of sun/moon roofs over the years, never had one break before. Did they fix your's under warranty?
They did not. I ended up having the sunroof replaced under our insurance as it fell by our windshield replacement coverage. I'm terribly unhappy with Land Rover over all this, especially since I explained that we had been experiencing a wind noise coming from the sunroof from the day that it was new and were told that it was normal. Interestingly, once the sunroof was replaced, the wind noise went away. Of course the sunroof replacement was done by a 3rd party, so Land Rover won't consider the possibility that it was a fitment issue from the factory.

Old 03-02-2020, 12:29 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I have a cracked sunroof too

I looked up the other day and found a crack in my sunroof that goes all the way across the sunroom. And when I look down on it from up top, it actually is worse as it runs along the edges all the way from rear to front. It doesn’t look like there is any external damage at all. I just so happen to have a 32k service tomorrow morning, so I will bring it up. Of course I would like it covered under warranty, but I am not holding my breath.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:54 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by longtrip68
I looked up the other day and found a crack in my sunroof that goes all the way across the sunroom. And when I look down on it from up top, it actually is worse as it runs along the edges all the way from rear to front. It doesn’t look like there is any external damage at all. I just so happen to have a 32k service tomorrow morning, so I will bring it up. Of course I would like it covered under warranty, but I am not holding my breath.
I wish you good luck on this - my dealer's service department seemed more interested in covering their own asses than actually taking a close look at the issue. Definitely a disappointing experience.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:32 AM
4th Gear
Default Me too! Whilst stationary!!!

Originally Posted by edwingow
Myself and my wife returned home the other day and parked the car with our son asleep in the back seat on our drive. We were discussing what to do with him when the front sunroof whilst the cover was closed went crack! No over hanging tress or anything to fall on it no impact whatsoever. Opened the cover and watched the crack which appeared on the drivers side halfway way along grow toward the centre of the glass like a scene from Jurassic park! We’ve never actually opened the sunroof and the temp was around 12 degrees with no fluctuation? So now we’ve got to sort that out🤦🏻‍♂️

Old 07-19-2021, 07:09 AM
1st Gear
Default cracked sun roof

i opened my sunroof yesterday and noticed a crack across - all the way from one side to the other. There had been no impact or anything that would have caused the crack. I wonder is anyone has an idea of how much it would cost to get it fixed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked sunroof