Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer BS

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts
Default Dealer BS

Took our 2018 in because we had a clunking noise at pass front. We already diagnosed the problem as a bad ball joint on the upper control arm.

My buddy was a tech at this dealer and he left 3 days before we brought it in, so I asked for a recommendation, he told me the name of a tech he respected that was very good at the D5.

Brought it in, met the tech, told him how we diagnosed the issue. He said no problem, took them 8 days!

Go to pick up with my wife and they tell me its the air cleaner duct in the fender, it was broken and clunking.

At this point I start second guessing myself and thought, Ok, maybe I was wrong. We were in a rush and I didn't have time to test drive so we got on the road.

Leaving the dealership, from all exits are cobbelstone type road. My wife called me after pulling out and says that its the same.

Went back, drove with the tech and he says, why didn't I hear that? I was being nice so I kept my mouth shut.

I realize now why our shop is successful. We are honest and thorough. I wish the same could be said for the dealers.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Man, that sucks. You would think a luxury brand would be better given the hourly rate they charge, but seems to be a common issue with all dealers including luxury brands.

My dealer couldn't hear the second row seat rattle. At least they got the rear moonroof cover rattle and a few other things. Have a new list of small issues when it goes back for the next service/oil change.
Luckily none are big.

Need to find a good independent shop close to us if we plan to keep the D5. Pity you are down in SoCal, we are up in NorCal (Bay Area).

Old 11-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 721 Likes on 606 Posts

If its not something that can be fixed with a laptop, then they can't do it. Simple as that. its hard to find mechanics at dealers now days, they are now called technicians.

Sixpack577 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,490 Likes on 1,217 Posts

I don't think I need a mechanic as much as I need an exorcist with my Rover

The following 3 users liked this post by ArmyRover:
abran (11-07-2019), andries (11-07-2019), Sixpack577 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 11:21 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Abran

That is really unfortunate for the price of these lux vehicles. I really appreciate your help on this forum and I know many others do to. You probably know more than the tech at the dealer. Out of curiosity, is this Land Rover in Lynwood?

Old 11-07-2019, 12:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
I don't think I need a mechanic as much as I need an exorcist with my Rover

Old 11-07-2019, 12:35 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by andries
Man, that sucks. You would think a luxury brand would be better given the hourly rate they charge, but seems to be a common issue with all dealers including luxury brands.

My dealer couldn't hear the second row seat rattle. At least they got the rear moonroof cover rattle and a few other things. Have a new list of small issues when it goes back for the next service/oil change.
Luckily none are big.

Need to find a good independent shop close to us if we plan to keep the D5. Pity you are down in SoCal, we are up in NorCal (Bay Area).
it kind of makes sense when you know how the dealer techs are paid.

They are paid book time. So if diagnosis is billed at 1 hour and after an hour they don't have it, they just make **** up.

then, if the repair bills at 3 hours and they get it done in 1, they just got a bonus.

oh, and the service writer gets a commission.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:36 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
If its not something that can be fixed with a laptop, then they can't do it. Simple as that. its hard to find mechanics at dealers now days, they are now called technicians.
The tech that just left texted me a week later saying it’s nice to use tools and not a computer!

Old 11-07-2019, 12:39 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Columbiar
Abran

That is really unfortunate for the price of these lux vehicles. I really appreciate your help on this forum and I know many others do to. You probably know more than the tech at the dealer. Out of curiosity, is this Land Rover in Lynwood?
@Columbiar the only reason we bought a new D5 was to learn the new vehicle format and to be able to have a shared experience with all the new D5 owners who will be coming out of warranty.. Not Lynwood.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:43 AM
Baja

I’ll finally add, make sure you can replicate the issue with a tech in the car and make sure he/she acknowledges the issue before leaving.

if I can’t reproduce an issue, I call the customer and work through it before telling them vaguely to pick up.

a lot of people pick up their vehicles from the dealer with a “could not replicate customer concern” bull.

Groucho123 (11-07-2019)

Quick Reply: Dealer BS