Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 5 buyers guide?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 12:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 5 buyers guide?

Howdy y'all, looking to get into a Disco5 in the next year or so once the family gets bigger. I come from a Rover family, we've had classics, p38s, and a few Discos. We weren't rich and did all the work ourselves including buying clunkers and keeping them going. The last Disco2 was mine, I drove the **** out of it and was always working on it. Did most of the upkeep myself or with my brother & dad. It did leave us stranded once or twice which my wife didn't love, so it may be tough to convince her to get a Rover for us & our kids.

How home mechanic friendly is the new Disco? Any gremlins to watch out for? Fatal flaws? Proprietary stuff you can't work on at home easily? Bad model years or runs? I assume they are out there...

Thanks

Old 08-22-2023, 02:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is for sale!

That said, there are a few things to look out for. Windshield leaks are common among early models ('17-'20). Early model diesels can suffer from DEF issues (just dealt with this on mine and get a complete new DEF and SCR system out of it), as well as the dreaded crankshaft failure. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason or detection for the crankshaft failures, but consensus says change the oil every 8,000 miles to prevent it. It reminds me a bit of the old Porsche IMS failures in that it's a scary issue, but likely blown a bit out of proportion. I'm not as familiar with the gas V6.

Late models ('21+) are said to be more refined in every way, but you'll pay for that privilege. The Ingenium engines are still a bit too new to comment on longer term reliability, but so far they seem good.

As far as DIY, you'll want a good scanner tool as well as an oil extractor if you go diesel since those do not have oil pan drain plugs. Other than that, rely on Land Rover's online service history for recommended maintenance intervals and you should be set.

Last edited by Strelok; 08-22-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 03:11 PM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Strelok

As far as DIY, you'll want a good scanner tool as well as an oil extractor since these vehicles do not have oil pan drain plugs. Other than that, rely on Land Rover's online service history for recommended maintenance intervals and you should be set.
they do have engine oil drain plugs for oil changing.

Old 08-22-2023, 03:18 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RyanLR3
they do have engine oil drain plugs for oil changing.
My bad, it must just be the TD6 that doesn't.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Strelok
My bad, it must just be the TD6 that doesn't.
I have a Diesel. All of the engines have plugs.

Old 10-22-2023, 12:34 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Diesel. All of the engines have plugs.
Do you know why everyone uses the syphon to get the oil out instead of just draining from the plug? Is the plug in a PITA spot? Still looking for the perfect TD6...still doing research but the maintenance doesn't seem as daunting after reading through this forum and watching YT.

Old 10-22-2023, 12:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by mb23
Do you know why everyone uses the syphon to get the oil out instead of just draining from the plug? Is the plug in a PITA spot? Still looking for the perfect TD6...still doing research but the maintenance doesn't seem as daunting after reading through this forum and watching YT.
I assume because a siphon is a little less labor intensive and less messy. Not having to remove the front skid plate. The diesel's drain plug is horizontal and the oil shoots out very fast. Can shoot as far as he RH front tire. It can get messy if you don't have a deep enough drain pan/container that can't keep up with the flow.

Old 10-22-2023, 12:53 PM
6th Gear

I assume because a siphon is a little less labor intensive and less messy. Not having to remove the front skid plate. The diesel's drain plug is horizontal and the oil shoots out very fast. Can shoot as far as he RH front tire. It can get messy if you don't have a deep enough drain pan/container that can't keep up with the flow.
Ahh makes sense...thanks. I looked to see if Fumoto has a valve for it and they don't. Prevents a lot of the mess those little valves. My Tundra is the same amount of oil so have the pan part covered, will just need to direct flow.

Old 10-22-2023, 01:40 PM
Mudding
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Femco makes nice plugs and have 90 degree drainers (hoses) 👍

The following users liked this post:
mb23 (10-22-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 02:00 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kajtzu
Femco makes nice plugs and have 90 degree drainers (hoses) 👍
Thanks! I will see if they have one that fits the TD6 if I end up pulling the trigger.