Sponsored by:

Disco V rear tailgate sticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 07:16 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disco V rear tailgate sticking

I have a 2020 Disco V HSE petrol.

i have noticed the rear tailgate struggling to open unassisted. Most times it would spring open, bounce a few times, and then stop with a series of beeps. If I immediately push the button again the gate would finish opening. More recently it just won’t open unless I assist to “break it free”. This is experienced using the key fob or the button next to driver side door. I have noticed some signs of rubbing on the latch area itself, but there’s nothing that I can see hindering movement.

My question is: what should I try to fix? The searching I did on tailgate issues didn’t really seem to match my description. Most talked about it failing all together. I’m planning on asking dealership, but not sure if there’s anything else I could do on my own. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2022, 06:58 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the changing weather and the car parked outside, just recently i've noticed mine will occasionally "stick" and once or twice, i've actually tugged on it to break it free to allow it to open. On mine, it sounded like the rubber weather strips stick together as i can hear them peel apart when it opens. I'm going to rub some silicone grease along the entire rubber molding to see if that solves it. It functions perfectly otherwise.
I do have the usual sign of misalignment rubbing that many of us see at the lower corners of the hatch/bumper, but that does not seem to be getting in the way.

Old 10-02-2022, 02:53 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Your suggestion was spot on! Thank you!! I just applied some “Blaster” silicone lubricant and the gate now opens with ease. Thank you!