Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2019 HSE TD6: Smell diesel engine fumes in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 11:10 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 2019 HSE TD6: Smell diesel engine fumes in cabin

Dear Disco V forum, this is my first post related to my LR Discovery 2019 HSE TD6 w/ 5.5k miles, recently acquired as CPO from Fields group (JLR multiple dealership/ multiple states). Over the last 60 days since purchased, we were not driven more than 600 miles, but the Disco went 3 times to the service (one which also involves a full replacement of the so useless Goodyear F1 "All season" tires which are completely inadequate for cold weather), multiple service lights, trim-parts falling apart, etc. But this time is quite different: We are smelling diesel engine fumes/ odors inside the cabin who makes my wife and kids quite nauseous and they feel very sick while we were driven two weeks ago on the highway. In my case also irritated my eyes (while I was driving). The problem is more pronounced when the heater is ON. Car still at the dealership (7 days on this run...and keep counting).

The Disco V is my 4th diesel SUV in 10 years, and the only one with this kind of problem (BMW, Audi and Porsche never with a mechanical-electronic-service problem. Nothing). But my wife wanted the new Disco...there are many where we live, since the benefit of the 3 row seat, big enough, drives well, the deployable side steps fir kids is a big plus, and in my case the lower tag price compared with the MB GLS, I was sold. But that's my wife car, I'm driven a 2019 Cayenne.

I don't know what's the problem/s which generate/s the Discovery 2019 HSE TD6 smelling diesel engine fumes in cabin...maybe one or many of some of the answer that I found on forums, since JLR NA has no idea how to deal with that problem. Based on most common JLR diesel issues reported at forums, they are:

*Engine and exhaust system need new grommets in the engine bay to stop fumes from auxiliary heater entering cabin.
*if the exhaust was not sealing at manifold so fumes getting into cabin.
*If there are cracks & exhaust leaks to the Exhaust gas re-circulation (EGR valves & EGR cooler).
*if the cabin filters were not changed...but my car has only 5.5K miles with all the services done.
*If the oil was not changed...but my car has only 5.5K miles with all the services done.
*Any more options?

Please your feedback will be much appreciated. Finally: Anyone knows who is the Federal Authority who is managing the diesel issues in the USA? Maybe they would like to be inform about the JLR diesel issues.

Best
T.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Saw this thread in the Range Rover forum:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ra...0-liter-97034/

Old 03-01-2020, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear

Hi Dare Devil and All,
Just a quick update on my wife's car. We got it back on Saturday from Fields Land Rover service. The diesel fumes or odors inside the cabin is not an issue based on their assessment and controls, and completely normal under Land Rover standard. The recommendation simple is: If you are driving on highways where there are multiple diesel trucks, or when you are turning on the car in the garage, just "reset" the air re-circulation button, in order to avoid the outside air getting into the cabin. My answer was: Why I should do that? The air filters should avoid any smoke particles to getting into the cabin...like in any other car. From a customer experience, I'm starting to believe the JLR cabin filters are below standard, like some of the trims quality, and multiple plastic parts where the quality (and assembly control) looks quite sub-standard compared with any German, Volvo, or Japanese car. The incident with the diesel odor inside the cabin is not acceptable for anyone, except for JLR.
On top that problem, I requested to the service to please:
*Adjust the center console due squishy annoying noises (sub-standard plastic trims...very cheap plastic parts): Problem resolved, but now multiple trims are showing 2-3 mm gaps. They were unable to installed correctly. Next step...back to service again.
*Same problem but with the the plastic trims which are surrounding the windshield's mirror area: Plastic trims vibrating when we were driving over 50 mph...very cheap plastic parts and worse installation. Parts replaced, but when we were driving today Sunday, a whole plastic piece got untied...and before that, an annoying noise coming gout from that area. Next step...back to service again.
*Service Light: Remains there...BTW: I have a service light in my car since I left the dealership the day when I purchased the car...and still there after 4 service appointments.
Next Steps: Tomorrow morning calling again JLR NA and complaining about all those problems, and get a new LR dealership where I can service my car. Next step...back to service again.
Best,
T.

Old 12-20-2022, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

I know this is an older thread, but you might check and insure your cabin air filter is installed correctly. I was having this same issue so I bought a new cabin air filter and noticed my old one was installed upside down which was allowing outside air past the filter. I installed the new one correctly and the problem is significantly improved.

Old 03-15-2023, 03:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Has anyone else experienced this? I've been getting subtle exhaust smells on a 2017 HSE TD6 with 96,000 miles that I picked up over the weekend. No check engine lights or anything else. Car drives great, this is also my first experience with a diesel vehicle. Had it inspected before purchasing and everything checked out too. So far, the subtle smell hasn't made me feel nauseous or off, but would like to catch it if it's something that can be prevented from turning into something larger. Thanks!

Old 03-15-2023, 11:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

had the same issue in our 2019 TD6. Worse in the winter. My wife hated the odor. The dealer never figured it out.

The following users liked this post:
ar077 (04-28-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 09:06 AM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, we've had colder temps in KY this week. Mornings have been in the 20's and 30's, typically when the smell has been most prominent. Otherwise not noticeable when driving throughout the day or once the vehicle is warmed up. Maybe it's normal? Regardless, love the truck.

ar077 (04-28-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Winching
Received 295 Likes on 182 Posts

pull the hose off the bottom of the diesel fuel filter, and never re attach.

my mechanic said this is a possible cause.

ar077 (04-28-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 03:15 PM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

does it smell like raw diesel fuel or diesel emissions? Diesel Tailpipe odor (that smells like diesel) on initial cold startup is normal. Idling a cold aftertreatment system will produce a "smell", but less like burnt diesel, due to lack of heat and efficiencies lost due to it. Keep idling at a minimum, especially cold idle.

The following 2 users liked this post by RyanLR3:
ar077 (04-28-2023), gmfain (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling

@gmfain , you're saying that the fuel filter hose was never re-attached? Or that I need to pull the hose off and never re-attach?

@RyanLR3 diesel emissions/exhaust. Mostly on startup, also has occurred sitting at a stoplight with the climate control on (has happened in both A/C and heat modes). Again, it's not smoking me out inside or out, just subtle exhaust smell, and to be honest kind of expected there to be some smell coming into diesel ownership.

ar077 (04-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Discovery 2019 HSE TD6: Smell diesel engine fumes in cabin