Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DV Owner Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 01:32 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DV Owner Impressions

Hello Disco V owners. I've owned a couple LRs up until recently. Just sold my 03 DII and my 08 RRS SC L320 earlier last year. I'm curious to hear the good and bad from forum members about their new DVs. I'm looking into getting the TD6 but unsure of what trim. Having all the bells and whistles aren't a big deal to me, but on the other hand want a lockable rear diff and possibly the TR2. I'm not a huge fan of the air suspension and the later upkeep it requires. Unfortunately the trim packaging requires certain upgrades. My question is, is it cost beneficial to get the lower trim and spec it out or just get the HSE with a few options? I believe I saw on the LR site that the only way to get the rear locking diff is to go with the HSE. So higher trim maybe, but no fancy options...?

Last edited by rossagge; 04-17-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a pretty 'basic' '17 HSE (no rear seat screens, folding seats, etc.) and am exceedingly happy with it. I'm not sure what upkeep the air-suspension will require over it's life, but aside from the locking diff., it's been one of the most useful features for me. You could forego the air-suspension if you won't need the clearance, but otherwise I'd give it another look.

I'm also happy with the Si6, but the diesel has been well received too.

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DeckB
I have a pretty 'basic' '17 HSE (no rear seat screens, folding seats, etc.) and am exceedingly happy with it. I'm not sure what upkeep the air-suspension will require over it's life, but aside from the locking diff., it's been one of the most useful features for me. You could forego the air-suspension if you won't need the clearance, but otherwise I'd give it another look.

I'm also happy with the Si6, but the diesel has been well received too.

Good luck.
Thanks for your input. If I do go this route, I'll consider the air suspension. I don't want to miss out on the locking rear diff. Even though my RRS climbed some pretty slick muddy hills without it, I'd still like to have it. If that means going back to air suspension it will have to be. Haven't looked at ARB yet to see if they have rear lockers for the SE/HSE w/out air suspension. If so, that might be the route to go along with a lift kit.

As far as the air suspension goes, I had to rebuild my compressor at around 75k. New dryer beads, seals, filters and aftermarket aluminum cover. Not a complicated chore, but eventually it will have to be done. I was fortunate that my bags were still good all around.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:05 AM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The air suspension is one of my favorite things about it. Had it on the LR4 and that is one of the things that brought me back. Looked at others without it and decided it was too important to me. Yeah, it may need rebuilt in 75k miles - but I will enjoy the crap out out of it for 75k miles and worry about the maintenance then.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Hayseed_D5
The air suspension is one of my favorite things about it. Had it on the LR4 and that is one of the things that brought me back. Looked at others without it and decided it was too important to me. Yeah, it may need rebuilt in 75k miles - but I will enjoy the crap out out of it for 75k miles and worry about the maintenance then.
Thanks for the input. I guess having too many options is a bad thing for me, haha. I always thought a good off road/overlanding vehicle shouldn't have an air suspension. Just thinking about having spare parts for an extended trip and all. I just need to weight what I'm actually going to be doing more of with the vehicle. Glad LR did give options for suspension though. Upside is you can't beat that air ride!

Old 04-22-2018, 12:47 PM
Mudding

I guess I'll be buying one of these, maybe, the way in which I hated when customers did from the dealership I used to work for as a salesman a long time ago. I walked into a JLR dealership this morning looking for a new Disco. Many on the lot, but not what I was looking for. All Si6 models. I want the TD6. I walked into the showroom to see a Disco on display. Checked it out, crawled through it, played with the pwr folding rear seats, climbed in the third row, opened every cubby and even the hood. 5 salesmen standing in the showroom, not one approached me. I had to ask one if they had any diesel models around. He replied somewhere, probably on our overflow lot, but it's just like the gas models, he continued to say. I just looked at him waiting for the question, can I show you a diesel or something similar to that question. Or even some qualifying questions...nothing. I just looked at him and still tried to get some interaction by stating simply I guess the only difference is price and towing. He just shook his head up and down and I looked at him for 2 seconds and walked away. I guess if you're a walk in these days and don't drive up in a 50k plus veh and a 5k fitted suit they think you're a waste of time! I'm in Chantilly currently and was driving a Malibu rental. No, I wasn't going to buy, but would of given that dealership some serious though if they would have showed some, just a little more interest and customer service. I live in TX, but spend half a year in this area working, so no problem for me to buy one here or there. So I'll be buying, if I buy, a new Disco by sending out offers to dealerships with my specification in a vehicle to see who takes it. If no one does, I guess I won't be buying a new Disco. Some 89-92 110/Defenders I found for under 30k are looking much more appealing after today! (Maybe I'll wait & wait & wait for a private owner sale)