Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 07:45 AM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Options

Curious if anyone is getting extended warranties at time of sale on their Discoveries. I am also unclear if JLR offers one or if most dealers offer 3rd party plans. I am used to Mercedes ELW which is valid at any Mercedes dealer.

If anyone has any quotes on Discovery ELW, I'd love to hear amounts. Also if you have any contacts to get quotes from as backup that would be appreciated.

This would be my first JLR purchase so ideally I would like to have an extended warranty. Searches I've done of threads give some quotes on other models and it seems it is 3rd parties like Continental or Allstate maybe. No clarity if there is an JLR warranty still or not.

Also what does prepaid maintenance tend to cost too? In my area for Mercedes or Audi it is the better deal. With Mercedes it does not seem to be marked up by dealers and I thought I heard it was a standard national rate that the Manufacturer supplies so the dealers do not loose money on the services or something. In general the labor rate or something seems to jack up prices in my area which is why I tend to do this.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2021, 02:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 123 Posts

I bought the extended warranty with my 2018 when I bought it new. I think if I remember correctly it added 2 more years and raised the cap from 50k to 75k miles. I forget exactly what it cost - think it was under $2k - perhaps 1500

I did not buy the maintenance plan. Doesn't seem to save much / anything and I keep the flex to do my own maintenance / oil changes or take it somewhere else if I want.

Old 05-13-2021, 04:15 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Extended warranty

The warranty is expiring on my 2017 HSE Lux in the US with 19,000 miles.
My JLR dealer recommends Zurich.
Has anyone have an opinion with this outfit?

Old 05-13-2021, 08:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased a 2017 Discovery HSE with 39k miles on it back in FEB. It still had factory warranty till Jan 2022 some how I think it was a end of the year vehicle that got originally sold or in service date of FEB 2018 which would make sense. Right before I signed the finance guy hit me up with a extended service contract "warranty" this is through JLR and Infiniti since they are covered under the same umbrella or overall Red Nolan Dealer. I think they wanted $2500 but I talked them down to $1800 and it was literally only a few bucks more financed. It still has the factory warranty remaining but when that ends I have an extended warranty on, electronics, motor, powertrain, pretty much anything besides wear items.

The coverage is 5 years 100k miles. So essentially I have a warranty till 2026 or 139k miles, which ever comes first. I live in Colorado and it's my daily driver about 60-70 miles round trip to work 5 days a week and my wife and I's weekend get away truck for exploring. I'm sure I'll reach the mile limit before 2026 but for me it's a piece of mind for a long time since we plan on keeping it for a while.

I've already got the "windshield" replaced for leaking... well that is known and under warranty, I've gotten the brake booster replaced it was faulty, they hooked me up with an alignment and took care of a nail in the tire which I will say is just a great courtesy of them and not really a warranty thing but it happened only 2-3 days after I drove it home so they just took care of it.

I will say I'm Very Very glad I went to a LR dealer even though I may have spent a bit more $$ but the customer service, loaner car program and the way they treat their clients "Colorado SPrings LR" is really great compared to buying at a random dealer.

The following users liked this post:
LoneStarLR (05-13-2021)
Old 05-14-2021, 08:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Are you sure coverage is 5 more years and 100k more miles? Usually the LR coverage takes the car TO 5 (or 6 or 7) years to TO 100k miles. If it's an extra 5 years / 100k miles then you got an amazing deal...

Old 05-15-2021, 08:25 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by BritCars
Are you sure coverage is 5 more years and 100k more miles? Usually the LR coverage takes the car TO 5 (or 6 or 7) years to TO 100k miles. If it's an extra 5 years / 100k miles then you got an amazing deal...

yup 100% sure it says it in the contract. The warranty is 5y 100k extra from the date I bought it and shows the expiration date and milage being 2026 feb and 139,xxx miles. Which ever comes first.

really the main reason I was so stoked about it because that’s a long long time and will def five piece of mind. It’s not a CPO warranty it’s a service plan I bought through JLR / Infiniti through RED Nolan which is the auto group not though like some 3rd party biz. I think it does have a 50$ deductible but still that’s nothing when co pared to potential part fixes on these cars.

Old 05-15-2021, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Well - if it actually pays out when you need it (they are often full of exclusions) then you got quite the deal. That's the cost of just 1-2 years for the CPO type extended warranty

Old 05-15-2021, 07:21 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by BritCars
Well - if it actually pays out when you need it (they are often full of exclusions) then you got quite the deal. That's the cost of just 1-2 years for the CPO type extended warranty
yeah of course I declined like some of ball ones like wheel paint protection, window tint protection and like weird things. Covers full power train, electronics, and some other high value parts.