New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally had a problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 10:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Had a heart to heart with the General Manager today and he said he now has 2 others in the shop with the same problem as ours.

He claims JLR Engineering is actively involved but I was told that 3 weeks ago and I just don't believe it.

Um, should I feel better?

As soon as I can, I am going to just stop by and demand to see our Disco. See if it is collecting dust or . . . actually being worked on?

Old 06-10-2020, 11:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Sorry to hear.
Definitely stop by and probably get Range Rover as a loaner.
Seems like BS that a smaller dealer would suddenly have 3 with the same issue , when they had no clue before.

The following users liked this post:
FormerTouaregFan (07-31-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 09:28 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Definitely increase the pain point for the dealer and JLR by asking for a vehicle of greater or comparable value. We got rid of our 2018 Buick Enclave after just a year because we had to bring it back to the dealer no less than six times, and other than maybe the first and/or second time, they tried to give us as cheap of a vehicle as they could. (Encore is a clown-car, my wife says.)

It sounds like the dealer needs to perform a forced regen to your DPF or else just replace it, (which I am sure is not inexpensive given JLR parts prices.) I only hope some of the attached JLR literature from 2017 has since been updated so that we don't have to bring a vehicle into a dealer just to get a service indicator to go away. On the fence about ordering an IDII GAP tool given the limited functionality that may be associated with my D5.

For a variety of reasons, I'm going to dump my factory fill oil at 2k and have a UOA performed. I want to see how much fuel dilution I may have in my sump at that time. I will otherwise aim for 6k to 8k OCI's but if my driving style is inadequate to the DPF regens, I may have to go shorter. What you can otherwise do to combat the issue is to ensure that you are creating as little particulate matter (PM) to even go through your DPF as you otherwise can. You can't eliminate all of it, but you can significantly reduce the amount with a good diesel additive.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/dpf-re...les-explained/

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/is-die...-in-the-world/

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/everyd...sel-treatment/

Attached Thumbnails Finally had a problem-screenshot_2019-08-02-land-rover-discovery-2k-bill-forum.png   Finally had a problem-screenshot_2019-08-02-land-rover-discovery-2k-bill-forum-copy.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
D8 Dilution Explained.pdf (1.03 MB, 185 views)

Last edited by AirRyan; 06-11-2020 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
canon_mutant (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks for the info. P2002 has come and gone.

We have the losing electrical power problem [3rd time] which results in barely getting out of traffic. No limp home here. You cannot even get the vehicle out of D, MMI out, Dash out, vehicle barely runs. Thought for sure it was the Pee Poor battery ground from the factory Andries reported earlier in the thread but that fix has been applied. Twice.
Wish me luck! I'm paying them a surprise visit tomorrow. This could get ugly . . .

Old 06-23-2020, 11:50 PM
Rock Crawling

Sorry, rant alert . . .

Well, our Disco is still there. It is inside though it was filthy including bird poop. I obsessively clean bird poop daily so I know it has at least spent some time outside while there.

Good news maybe? They managed to get it to start again. Unfortunately, they do NOT know what they did to get it to start.

So, they are "supposedly" going through a long series of diagnostic back and forth with JLR UK to try and figure out WTF is going on?

Naturally, no one was actually doing that while I was there nor was I allowed to see any back/forth communications.

Worst? I wanted to touch base with the GM while there and discuss options for losing two months total [going on 3] for what possible lease payment reductions or time extensions might be possible having our vehicle out of service for so long AND LandRoverUSA is not responding on our Enterprise Rental claim from visit ONE when they had no loaners available ~ $400 for a 8 days. The GM looked up, saw me coming with the SM, quickly picked up his phone, then told the SM he was busy [sudden conference call]. THAT was a REALLY bad idea . . . But, I have to actually get ahold of someone at LRUSA to discuss it. Good luck with that.

This has to be the worst dealership I've ever dealt with and I've had a few that were bad. If I could talk to LandRoverUSA, I'd log a complaint and perhaps ask to have my dealership transferred to KC or OKC to give someone else a shot.

This is STILL not the the Disco's fault . . . although I do expect there are a few electrical design deficiencies. But, it is still just ONE problem in 15K miles. ONE!

I'm just dealing with incompetent morons . . .

Week 5 and counting . . . [just this visit]

Last edited by canon_mutant; 06-23-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:23 PM
Rock Crawling

That sucks!!!

My gut feeling is still that they screwed up something in the rear electrical area after they "fixed" the ground issue. The VQM is back there which can cause all the MMI, etc systems to go dark if something is loose. Similar there may be other cables they didn't attach properly.

Any option to have it towed to another dealer? Seems like they are just sitting on their hands and not even trying and tracing cables & modules.

Old 06-25-2020, 12:10 AM
Rock Crawling

Some progress as they have agreed to a two month refund on our lease. If it takes 3 or more, they have to go through JLR Corp.

But, I also tried to make it clear that "with one tech" he cannot keep up just doing everyday standard service stuff much less spend all day just working on ours.

That MUST get fixed if they ever expect to fix our vehicle . . .

Old 06-29-2020, 10:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Per JLR Engineering, the dealer is going to try swapping both junction boxes. This seems like a bandaid on cancer solution to me but at least they are finally trying something. And it did come from JLR, not just something the dealer is trying. I do not have a schematic to show what specifically that means?

Old 06-29-2020, 10:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Fingers crossed, seems to be overkill but may have them actually replace and connect the wires.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Well, I should be pissed for all the extra miles but, after the rear junction box swap, the service manager drove our Discovery all weekend through today without incident so we are getting our Discovery back tomorrow. I would feel better if they could tell me precisely what was wrong? Short of that, they are guessing.

We ought to do some kind of raffle for charity or something >>> guesses on how long it will continue to run properly?

Also, how long will it actually take to get our 2 month lease payment refund?

Place your bets! Place your bets!

Quick Reply: Finally had a problem