New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time considering a Discovery, what is important to know beforehand?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 01:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting -- my oldest son has a new 2021 Discovery, the brakes are fine, and no witndshield leaks either. Drove one of these on the Biltmore off-road training course a few years ago, and thought it was a spectacular truck: superior to any of my LR3s or Range Rover Sport. Wish now I had leased one instead of my new Lincoln -- maybe next time. I wonder how many problems are cropping up in Romanian builds vs Brit?

Last edited by Jhartz; 07-01-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by brazeagle
Th Discovery and other LR vehicles have several issues with warped rotors at very low mileage.
I don't remember a single post on here from anyone with low mileage rotor issues. Interested to hear if anyone else has seen this??

I have 45k on my discovery with original rotors and pads and braking is still perfect
Rotors don't 'warp' when hot in street conditions. It's a myth. Land Rover don't make rotors. They are made by the same companies in the same way for dozens of other OEMs.

What is the braking issue you're having?

I'm all for providing good advice to someone who is considering a purchase. But it's only fair to the original poster that we are honest about what is a real known issue (leaky windshields, clunky infotainment etc) that many people here have had. And what is an issue you personally have had and may be frustrated about, but that others here don't seem to have.

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 05:33 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also considering a Disco 5 here! Appreciate any input surrounding reliability. I'm needing a new family SUV and have been comparing used BMW X5, Audi Q7, Volvo XC90. Was primarily looking at used but now comparing a brand new 2022 Disco 5 and the current sale prices of a 2018 CPO, I'm somewhat wondering if paying more for a brand new one is worth it given some of the upgrades like the engine from the Si6 to the P360 and the new Pivi Pro etc.

For you Disco 5 owners, how's the reliability and/or what are some of the common issues to look out for in the 2017-2020 models?
Update: Found a thread on reliability: Reliability??? - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Anyone know or have experience with the P360 engine?

Thanks!

Last edited by vapormike; 07-03-2021 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Ours has only had 2 problems. One, resulted in a complete DOA and took our LR Service 4 mths to resolve. Also, the reason for the eventual ground stud recall. That problem is fixed. Problem 2 is P2002 premature DPF error [TD6] that they do not seem to have a fix for. But, it is more of just a look at the CE idiot light problem so far. I am beginning to wonder if it is not a S/W glitch rather than an actual H/W problem?

That said, my service dept taking 4 mths to resolve problem one is NOT the Disco's fault. Problem 2 is merely an inconvenience so far. If we continue having good luck with it and can get P2002 resolved by next April when our lease is up AND if I can get some decent CPO buy out numbers, we may well buy this thing. It has been an absolute pleasure to drive [when I get to drive it]. More importantly of course is when the wife is happy, being her primary driver, which she is.

Just got 28.6 uphill to the cabin absolutely STUFFED with crap. 29.3 on the downhill return equally loaded. Gotta love that. These are 68-73mph cruise numbers on US50, 65-70mph posted road with LOTS of cops so we don't speed much. Ownership to date average is 26.4 with about a 60/40 HW/City mix. Terri does not have a lead foot though.

Old 07-08-2021, 03:54 PM
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't forgotten about this and have been reading the replies. I see several cautioned with staying with a Toyota. Again, I do not care for quite a few things with the 5th Generation 4Runner. And truth be told, if I had just bought a v8 4WD 4th gen from the get go instead of a RWD, I'd still have it even with its own brake issues without having gone to a Tacoma afterward. The GX fixes some of the complaints but adds others so not really high on them either. LC/LX haven't came across any that are either within budget that aren't older 4.7 models with high mileage or early 5.7 models with even more mileage. So I haven't looked a whole lot into them other than knowing most of the ones in budget have the older flip down third room that take up a bunch of space in the back even when not in use, which isn't ideal. But I have kept an open mind and eyes out looking for one for awhile too.

Things like Windshield is absolutely one of the things I was hoping to learn about. I vaguely think I read some about a possible recall or maybe it was just a goodwill thing about them being replaced? Does that fix the issue? Or is it something deeper than just a bad seal from the factory? I got a family friend who has been doing Auto windshield replacement for almost 25 years so getting a new one installed isn't the end of the world at as close to cost as possible.

Yeah the Infotainment definitely didn't seem as user friendly as the PCM in the Cayennes I was looking at, but did seem more modern than the Audi Q7 that was all through the wheel (though probably not the redesigned Q7s but no spare tire no chance of buying one). At least it did have a power off and volume, and the HVAC controls were hard buttons so I could live with most of it. I'd likely be using just radio, or Carplay most of the time anyway. Other thing I noticed on the one I test drove was the volume being on the passenger side. Looked like they were properly reversed in the US for the RRs though so seemed odd to have not done it at least on that '17 I drove.

As far as rotors, I could see general concerns just like any of the other large SUVs and Crossovers as far as increased tire, pad, and rotor wear. Wheels and tires are getting heavier. Technology features like Adaptive Cruise Control and others applying brakes to control the vehicle on their own. Good thing for rotors, there are a plethora of options to try out to see if any work out better, or just buy some from FCP Euro or elsewhere with generous lifetime warranty that includes wear and just replace them as needed.

I likely wouldn't use LR dealer for any service if I can get away from it. So maybe not quite needing that AMEX Platinum. Don't mind doing some of it myself. Other stuff I can't, won't, or just when I don't have time to do there is a LR-focused independent shop near me. They also work on a wide range of other Euros including exotics so I would feel a bit well about that and about half the hourly labor cost of the dealer. Then 2 other more general independent Euro shops close by as well so options.

I still haven't looked much into the LR4s in particular, but yes as someone mentioned I would likely only consider a 14-16 for the supercharged v6 and then likely budget in a tune and pulley change. Seems one of the biggest complaints of it was the reduced power while weight, etc staying the same for the vehicle. Would honestly consider doing the same to a 5 down the road as well depending on how often towing happens and if it feels like it would need it on a gasser. For the most part though, I do take a lot of short in town trips frequently during the week so that does weigh against the Td6, as much as it ultimately did with some of the other diesel choices out there.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (07-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 05:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

My windshield leak was much less than some other people. Only a couple drops on the inside when I washed it. Dealer replaced the windshield a year or two ago and haven't seen any water drops inside since. If I had to pay for the repair I would have had the old windshield removed and replaced. There's no reason that I could see to replace the glass instead of reuse it.
D5 is supposedly a lot lighter weight than the LR3 or LR4 but my D5 weighed in at about 500 pounds higer than the spec sheet shows as did one of the other forum posters that weighed his. No, I didn't have it all loaded up,

Old 07-08-2021, 06:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Get this and own something really special. Something that will actually go up in value. Something that will get you from A to B and Z if you need it for the next 20 years.