New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front recover hook cover options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:34 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front recover hook cover options?

I picked up my Disco last month and drove it strait into a mud hole to test it out. I got stuck and quickly found out how difficult it is to remove the covers if submerged in mud or water.
I noticed in a YouTube video that a Land Rover test vehicle had a square cut out to give access with the cover still on.
I know some of you might say just take it off before you go off roading but here are my concerns:
1) taking it off and storing it is not that convenient
2) most simple detours that seem simple can turn in oh sh** quickly.
3) In Canada one slip off an icy road can turn into a recovery situation and removing plastic that snaps in place at -30 usually just snaps in half.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:37 PM
Drifting

Has anybody done this cut out or added other recover hooks?
I'm thinking of doing at least this cut out but adding some door edge trim to clean it up a little.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

The Lucky8 D5 has a hidden winch but now that you mention it I don't recall seeing a recovery point. I'll shoot him a message and ask.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
Old 10-30-2018, 10:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I was looking at that briefly yesterday and just shaking my head. Figured I will probably just remove the panel at home before heading out on snow or any offroad trips.
Just crazy not having exposed recovery points, or at least very easily accessible through a hole in the front bumper.

With the tow package they at least add one on the hitch, so the back is covered. However without the tow package it seems to be another hidden point under soem plastic covers??

Old 10-30-2018, 10:51 AM
Drifting

The non tow package does still have a recovery point but behind yet another panel.
My concern is not all recoveries happen on a planned off road day, and when it does you seldom have visible working room.
Cold and removing plastic also don’t usually play well together.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:53 AM
Drifting

ArmyRover, is that hidden winch mount for sale yet or still beta? Nice looking setup.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:55 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Although I’m not ArmyRover, I can answer yes it’s available.

but, buyer beware. I’m not 100% sure, but ours has rear climate control and seems the winch tray won’t work due to an additional fan & condenser in the front.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by MudDisco
The non tow package does still have a recovery point but behind yet another panel.
My concern is not all recoveries happen on a planned off road day, and when it does you seldom have visible working room.
Cold and removing plastic also don’t usually play well together.
Totally agree with you on that. Would have been good to have an exposed loop a bit higher, or at least just behind an easy to pop plastic cover (still bumper level). The cutout seems interesting, but still is very low and underneath, which is not fun to get to in sloppy conditions. Also will be very hard to use a proper shackle and recovery strap.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MudDisco
ArmyRover, is that hidden winch mount for sale yet or still beta? Nice looking setup.
i do believe it is and it looks like Abran has confirmed. Talk to the guys at LK8 for fitment.

It does not make sense that they have the recovery point so buried at least before it was just a small plastic cover to expose it.

Quick Reply: Front recover hook cover options?