Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with buying a lemon car

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 11:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by null1

The second Lemon Law case was for a modern diesel vehicle that would at random display an emissions-related "engine will not start in X miles" error. In the matter of several months, the vehicle was at the dealership for 7 repair attempts and over 40 days - all while the case was being processed. While it should have been a walk-through-the-park case, given the vehicle was literally telling you it would not perform it's most basic function, the case dragged on for nearly a year and the manufacturer fought it every bit of the way.
Mercedes? My sprinter does that stuff. It is the incredible 150k van at this point... thank goodness fleet has been dealing with it.

Old 10-13-2020, 08:32 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasLandmark
Mercedes? My sprinter does that stuff. It is the incredible 150k van at this point... thank goodness fleet has been dealing with it.
Not Mercedes, another German brand "premium" SUV though. Absolutely loved the the vehicle and powertrain, unfortunately going weeks with the dealerships refusing to provide loaners got to be frustrating. The issues started right about 20k miles on the clock.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I saw that message on a diesel Mercedes car I rented in the UK last year. Turns out it was for the DEF fluid as it only lasts x miles and after that you have to top it up. To avoid people not bothering to do so (and massively increase their emissions) the law requires the manufacturer to not let the car start when it runs out, and the system gives a warning every time you start the car and every x miles you drive starting at about 509 miles remaining I think.
Never having owned a vehicle that takes that fluid I had no idea what the warning was about as all the message said was that the engine wouldn’t start in like 190 miles, no mention of *why* not!

Old 10-14-2020, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
I saw that message on a diesel Mercedes car I rented in the UK last year. Turns out it was for the DEF fluid as it only lasts x miles and after that you have to top it up. To avoid people not bothering to do so (and massively increase their emissions) the law requires the manufacturer to not let the car start when it runs out, and the system gives a warning every time you start the car and every x miles you drive starting at about 509 miles remaining I think.
Never having owned a vehicle that takes that fluid I had no idea what the warning was about as all the message said was that the engine wouldn’t start in like 190 miles, no mention of *why* not!
Getting off topic... but yes.. except that they also do this when the DEF head goes bad and sometimes a module issue as well. I have a mercedes with a constant CEL that has been on from 55k and is still on at its currebt 191k... been to the dealer at a cost for just this four times with nk resilution and they charge the fleet company almkst 10k per visit and then it's back after the 800ish mile drive cycle to set it off again... this isn't counting it being on its 3rd turbo that cost just over 18k each time since I've been lucky it hasnt fragged and gone through the motor causing additional work... blah blah blah... i don't do tier four diesels of any brand for personal use... i deal with them as part of my job description enough to avoid them.

Sorry for rant

So what's the word? Going to buy this former(?) Lemon?

Old 10-14-2020, 08:48 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
Yeah, the message is normal when DEF range gets low. The vehicle in particular would sometimes show the 1000-mile warning, and within 20 miles of driving drop down to 200-miles, and then 100-miles in another few miles. Other times, it would out of nowhere show the 100-mile warning (or 200-mile). Sometimes just days after the fluid was changed (it got changed plenty during the repair attempts). The fluid would last about 10k miles during normal use (before the issue popped up), and towing would substantially decrease that. Unfortunately once the issue started, I was only getting just a few hundred miles (or a thousand miles, if I was lucky) before the warnings would pop back up.

Edit: and yeah, as @TexasLandmark asked, any updates on the purchase?

Old 10-14-2020, 01:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I wouldn’t touch a lemon Land Rover with a barge pole.

The cars can be problematic at the best of times and as many threads on here attest, the dealers seem to have trouble figuring our problems and fixing them.

Buying one that passed the bar to be a lemon when the dealer can’t find anything wrong with it strikes me as a recipe for having a car with a significant and difficult to track down problem, perhaps intermittent, so even with money off I’m not sure how anyone can be confident that it will get fixed under their ownership?

The following users liked this post:
null1 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 04:21 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Would also not touch it. A vehicle is lemoned and no one can find what is wrong? Run away.
I have had two of my cars bought back in the lemon law and one they never found the problem. The dealer had to take ownership and I believe they shipped it to the Asian market since they could not fix and sell here. Would never buy a scrapped or lemoned vehicle.