Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood / bonnet stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Hood / bonnet stuck

Disco won't start this morning (2018 HSE Lux). Says smart key not found but the manual smart key against the steering column doesn't work either. And the terrain response buttons and the auto stop start button are flashing even when car is closed and locked

Am suspecting battery as it was a v cold 10F night last night. But the bonnet is frozen shut so I can't open it to jump it. Any suggestions how to defrost a frozen shut bonnet/hood??

Old 12-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Disco won't start this morning (2018 HSE Lux). Says smart key not found but the manual smart key against the steering column doesn't work either. And the terrain response buttons and the auto stop start button are flashing even when car is closed and locked

Am suspecting battery as it was a v cold 10F night last night. But the bonnet is frozen shut so I can't open it to jump it. Any suggestions how to defrost a frozen shut bonnet/hood??
A bottle of tap hot water could thaw the ice enough to open the hood. But remember to dry the area as the water will refreeze over night. If you are leasing it, take it in and complain to hell and back. If you purchased it, sorry to hear. Take it back and demand it be fixed under warranty. The new DV seems to be riddled with so many problems like this.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

You don't have to jump it from under the hood. Battery is in cargo area, right side. There's posting online how to pull that cover off.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There is also a hood release cable tech service bulletin out; maybe the hood isn't frozen, but the cable needs to be adjusted as part of the bulletin.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I need to take mine in to get the hood cable adjusted. It does release if I really force the release handle and hold it for a few seconds. It seems the mechanism on the left side releases, but the right side is sticky.

As mentioned above you can also access the battery through the cargo area for an emergency jump start.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Good to know on the battery - I hadn't realized that. And yes - even when thawed the hood release is sticky so I think it needs adjusting

Here is where I got to. Managed to start the car using the smart key held against the steering wheel. I thought I had done that earlier but the 'slot' I put it in is actually for loose change! You have to hold it on the three plastic stripes on the left hand side of the steering column
So it starts ok like that, can lock and unlock doors with smart key buttons. But the keyless features don't work to unlock doors nor start engine

Tried replacing key fob battery and also tried the other smart key - same issue. So I'm guessing the key module in the car has failed. Will be taking it in this week...

Last edited by BritCars; 12-02-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Update and a quick fix for you all!

Turns out the keyless vehicle module can crash and lose connectivity with the car. So the smart key features stop working. So I found the main car battery which is in the right hand panel of the trunk just in front of the tire jack. I disconnected the main negative wire for about a minute. Reconnected and now it works perfectly

Still can't open the hood though. Spoke to dealer and apparently the release cable is a little too long on the cars and when it stretches out it can stop working. So that's a dealer fix as some point.

The following users liked this post:
NickLR5-19 (09-26-2024)