New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to dispute warranty denial?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 02:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 370 Likes on 286 Posts

The threads on the bleed screw look slightly buggered to me. Not cross-threaded at the moment, but those are not exactly crisp threads. I suspect some cross-threading at some point, then it was removed and screwed back in which straightened the goofy threads. Your first picture certainly looks like the bleed screw hasn't been disturbed in some time but it's tough to say. I'm sure the dealership isn't wanting to touch this situation without new parts due to liability and litigation if there's an accident and someone comes after them. The narrative of the story is otherwise despicable however.

They basically have you over a barrel and are getting their pound of flesh for the "diagnosis". Someone has mucked up that bleed screw somewhere along the way, proving how and when will be the challenge. The fact that it wasn't leaking when you took your photo, after Brake Check and before LR, only proves that it was sealed at that time but doesn't assign culpability for the condition of the threads. Why did they proceed when at first they said it was seized and would snap? The area looks much wetter in the pic they texted you the it does in your first pic. That bleed screw has been molested to some extent, maybe the threads galled as it was being threaded out.

If it's sealing ok now I would replace the bleed screw with a new one (save the old one) and move on. The unknown will be if the caliper threads are damaged and the old bleed screw is partly responsible for the sealing because they match each other more closely. As for the $440 you can fight with LR over an exorbitant fee but I'm not sure what other recourse you've got.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Yeah I really don’t like this signing of paperwork upfront that says you will pay if warranty denied. The consumer really gets screwed over in the US as while the industry lawyers would say you have the choice not to sign it and go elsewhere is an illusion of choice when everywhere you go does the same trick.

That being said. I suppose the process is to pay it then dispute later with LR or even a lawyer and the dealership to get the money refunded if they eventually agree to cover it under warranty or have the dealer cover it if they messed it up. That said I suspect they know full well you won’t spend that kind of money or time. And as you signed up front I doubt the credit card company will be much help. Car dealerships, nice work if you can get it...

As for this particular issue, it involves so many people (yourself, brake check and the dealer) that proving it was the dealer “beyond reasonable doubt” would be difficult, and I suspect most jury types or even judges would side with the “professionals” when they don’t know one end of a spanner from the other as unfair as that is.

Given I’ve read that these vehicles eat pads I am curious if they had never been changed in 36k miles, although in any other vehicle that would seem normal. The point being, I’m wondering if it was actually cross threaded by a previous pad change (which no-one is going to admit it) and that’s why you couldn’t get it off.

*If* so... then the dealer is probably doing the right thing about changing the caliper and bolt as excruciatingly expensive as that is at their parts and labor rates. As for off brand parts like the sensor, we all know they’re the same but when it comes to warranty denials they look for any excuse and know we’re not going to the expense of lawyers to fight it, plus we need our vehicles to be working.

I think I’ll be taking mine to LR during the warranty period for everything bar tires even though it will cost more as any savings doing it myself or at another shop could be more than wiped out in this kind of situation.

Sucks for you.

Old 03-24-2021, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab
The threads on the bleed screw look slightly buggered to me. Not cross-threaded at the moment, but those are not exactly crisp threads. I suspect some cross-threading at some point, then it was removed and screwed back in which straightened the goofy threads. Your first picture certainly looks like the bleed screw hasn't been disturbed in some time but it's tough to say. I'm sure the dealership isn't wanting to touch this situation without new parts due to liability and litigation if there's an accident and someone comes after them. The narrative of the story is otherwise despicable however.

They basically have you over a barrel and are getting their pound of flesh for the "diagnosis". Someone has mucked up that bleed screw somewhere along the way, proving how and when will be the challenge. The fact that it wasn't leaking when you took your photo, after Brake Check and before LR, only proves that it was sealed at that time but doesn't assign culpability for the condition of the threads. Why did they proceed when at first they said it was seized and would snap? The area looks much wetter in the pic they texted you the it does in your first pic. That bleed screw has been molested to some extent, maybe the threads galled as it was being threaded out.

If it's sealing ok now I would replace the bleed screw with a new one (save the old one) and move on. The unknown will be if the caliper threads are damaged and the old bleed screw is partly responsible for the sealing because they match each other more closely. As for the $440 you can fight with LR over an exorbitant fee but I'm not sure what other recourse you've got.
it’s not sealing now. I need a new caliper. Which very well could have been the initial case but my point of fact here is that hand on bible ive never once touched that screw and neither did the guys at brake check as I was watching them and learning what to do.

anyone know what aftermarket part the caliper is? On carID I only seem to find driver side front but not rear. I’m hoping to find a part I could get here ASAP.

Old 03-24-2021, 06:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

On my 2017 Si6:
Left Rear Caliper: LR084120 List Price $220.34 on 29April 2020

Land Rover Denver, 6160 S Broadway, (303) 347-1500

I did pay another $90 for Misc Freight to have it shipped in overnight or a couple days.
This was an actual repair, not a quote.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
On my 2017 Si6:
Left Rear Caliper: LR084120 List Price $220.34 on 29April 2020

Land Rover Denver, 6160 S Broadway, (303) 347-1500

I did pay another $90 for Misc Freight to have it shipped in overnight or a couple days.
This was an actual repair, not a quote.
might be covid but freaking short supply everywhere. Ordered a used one off eBay