Sponsored by:

How do mount them antennas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 05:02 PM
TDD
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you mount them antennas?

I ran GMRS in all my other rigs. Ordered midland mxt275 for disco. Obviously magnetic doesn't work. Don't have roof rack. Only rails. Something to clamp on those? Good thing radio can be hidden but still need to have decent mount for mic too.

Thinking something like this to part of rack rail that's above roof line. https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/cma-rs-660u

Last edited by TDD; 06-26-2023 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-27-2023, 12:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

You have a few options. If you have the cross bars you can get the base from Powerful UK that will allow you to use the magnetic antenna mount that Midland sells. https://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/...lated-top.html
Or you can use the Ghost mount from midland itself that will allow you to attach the antenna to a body panel with a lip. Not above the roof line though. ( I used this at first for my MXT575 antenna). https://midlandusa.com/collections/m...rsal-lip-mount
I now run the Front Runner antenna mount its racks and switch between the ghost antenna and the 6db whip depending on where I am going.
As for the mic mount I attached it to the side of the transmission tunnel close to my legs. Works well if the wife is not driving the car. I am in the middle of move it up just below the start button and attaching a metal mount base to the metal siding to the infotainment system area since that part can be easily removed.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:13 PM
TDD
4wd Low

Don't have cross bars or rack. Been contemplating though. That's a neat piece. Thank you. IMHO antenna must be above root line to provide top performance. I ordered dxengineering piece and mxt275. Will report how it goes.

Old 06-29-2023, 08:32 PM
TDD
4wd Low

Well. Worked out ok. That DX engineering mount feels plenty sturdy with MXTA25.

The following users liked this post:
Donc98 (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 12:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Looks good. I ran a similar type of mount for a CB antenna on the back of my LR4 for a number of years. Worked well except at highway speeds. It would always start falling backwards and would need to be tighten again at the end of the trip. You are running a ghost antenna that is close to the roof line so hopefully you wont see the same issue.

Old 07-02-2023, 03:08 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TDD
I ran GMRS in all my other rigs. Ordered midland mxt275 for disco. Obviously magnetic doesn't work. Don't have roof rack. Only rails. Something to clamp on those? Good thing radio can be hidden but still need to have decent mount for mic too.

Thinking something like this to part of rack rail that's above roof line. https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/cma-rs-660u
Where/how did you install your MXT575? I have one that I haven't gotten around to installing.

Old 07-02-2023, 03:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ar077
Where/how did you install your MXT575? I have one that I haven't gotten around to installing.
TDD placed the 275 inside the upper glove box if I remember correctly. The 275 fits there with no issues as I first installed it there. When they came out with the 575 a month after I ordered the 275 I upgraded and moved the 275 to the LR4. Now the 575 is a larger unit and finding a place to mount was difficult. I initially thought of mounting it back by the battery area and making an extension cable for the mic but that did not work. I could not use the upper glove box due to the unit being larger and it would not work under the seat like I did with the 275 on the LR4 install. I did find a pocket on the DS transmission tunnel BUT under the carpet. I was worried about heat and being able to still use the speaker on the main part of the system but it has worked out well. Speaker is still heard even with carpet in front of it and the heat on the unit is not bad at all. Best part is that is it a hidden install. The mic runs to an extension that feed into the little cubby on the center below the HVAC controls and the mic can be easily disconnected if needed.

The following users liked this post:
ar077 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 11:30 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Donc98
TDD placed the 275 inside the upper glove box if I remember correctly. The 275 fits there with no issues as I first installed it there. When they came out with the 575 a month after I ordered the 275 I upgraded and moved the 275 to the LR4. Now the 575 is a larger unit and finding a place to mount was difficult. I initially thought of mounting it back by the battery area and making an extension cable for the mic but that did not work. I could not use the upper glove box due to the unit being larger and it would not work under the seat like I did with the 275 on the LR4 install. I did find a pocket on the DS transmission tunnel BUT under the carpet. I was worried about heat and being able to still use the speaker on the main part of the system but it has worked out well. Speaker is still heard even with carpet in front of it and the heat on the unit is not bad at all. Best part is that is it a hidden install. The mic runs to an extension that feed into the little cubby on the center below the HVAC controls and the mic can be easily disconnected if needed.
Thanks! Any chance you can upload some pictures, and did you hit any snags after deciding where to install the MXT575? I also have the Midland Extension Speaker (Model #21-406) that needs to go somewhere.

Old 07-03-2023, 07:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ar077
Thanks! Any chance you can upload some pictures, and did you hit any snags after deciding where to install the MXT575? I also have the Midland Extension Speaker (Model #21-406) that needs to go somewhere.
Sure here is the completed install with the upgrade mic that is available for the 275/575 units.

IN the center cubie if you pull back the rubber lining there are some openings you can use to pull the extension cable through and pass out to the side of the center consol.

Finally under the bottom kick panel for the transmission on the left side of the tunnel if you pull that panel out you can see where the wires can be pass down to the unit if mounted under the carper there. I ran the wires for power over to the fuse box directly (Yes i know midland says to hard wire to the battery but this was a bit easier to the fuse box and other mentioned no issues on the midland forums. I might change in the future but for 1 year now it has worked) the antenna wire goes in from the back hatch and then across the headline to the A pillar and then down across the bottom of the dashboard to the location where the radio is located. Now i did not use the hard mount for the radio as the carpet holds it in place. The unit is placed with the speaker outwards so I run both mic and unit speakers and feel it is enough with no need for an additional speaker. The updated MXMC01 mic has a better speaker on it anyways.

I will pop this panel again and take a picture when I go back out to the 5. Been driving the LR4 around all day.

The following 2 users liked this post by Donc98:
1979rover (07-05-2023), ar077 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 11:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Donc98
Sure here is the completed install with the upgrade mic that is available for the 275/575 units.
IN the center cubie if you pull back the rubber lining there are some openings you can use to pull the extension cable through and pass out to the side of the center consol.
Finally under the bottom kick panel for the transmission on the left side of the tunnel if you pull that panel out you can see where the wires can be pass down to the unit if mounted under the carper there. I ran the wires for power over to the fuse box directly (Yes i know midland says to hard wire to the battery but this was a bit easier to the fuse box and other mentioned no issues on the midland forums. I might change in the future but for 1 year now it has worked) the antenna wire goes in from the back hatch and then across the headline to the A pillar and then down across the bottom of the dashboard to the location where the radio is located. Now i did not use the hard mount for the radio as the carpet holds it in place. The unit is placed with the speaker outwards so I run both mic and unit speakers and feel it is enough with no need for an additional speaker. The updated MXMC01 mic has a better speaker on it anyways.
I will pop this panel again and take a picture when I go back out to the 5. Been driving the LR4 around all day.
Great! Thanks very much!

Quick Reply: How do mount them antennas?