Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Important Information for New LR Buyers

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:32 AM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Important Information for New LR Buyers

I can't speak toward any other Land Rover models, but there needs to be a list of must have items to purchase if you're a new LR 5 buyer. I'm completely new to these vehicles and have only owned mine for a month, but I've learned you need a good diagnostic tool and a good battery charger/reconditioner.

Just a thought.

The following users liked this post:
ar077 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:38 AM
Mudding
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J.
I can't speak toward any other Land Rover models, but there needs to be a list of must have items to purchase if you're a new LR 5 buyer. I'm completely new to these vehicles and have only owned mine for a month, but I've learned you need a good diagnostic tool and a good battery charger/reconditioner.

Just a thought.
I think that goes for any Land Rovers, regardless of the model. You definitely need a good diagnostic tool. I've never had any issues with my batteries unless I let it sit. I try to make it a point to drive them. You must also have the desire and ability to do some maintenance and wrench turning yourself if you want to be a Land Rover owner, unless you have deep pockets. This Forum is an invaluable resource. I've researched and found/resolved every issue I've ever had on this Forum. If it's happened it's in here. I'm on my 4th Land Rover and have been on here I think since 2006. I couldn't find my previous login when I had my Range Rover, so I created a new login. Land Rover will definitely turn you into a mechanic. Best of luck to you and enjoy the ride.

ar077 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 11:02 AM
8th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soarvet
I think that goes for any Land Rovers, regardless of the model. You definitely need a good diagnostic tool. I've never had any issues with my batteries unless I let it sit. I try to make it a point to drive them. You must also have the desire and ability to do some maintenance and wrench turning yourself if you want to be a Land Rover owner, unless you have deep pockets. This Forum is an invaluable resource. I've researched and found/resolved every issue I've ever had on this Forum. If it's happened it's in here. I'm on my 4th Land Rover and have been on here I think since 2006. I couldn't find my previous login when I had my Range Rover, so I created a new login. Land Rover will definitely turn you into a mechanic. Best of luck to you and enjoy the ride.
I've do my own wrenching as well and enjoy it. Well, that and I'm a tight wad.😄

Old 05-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J.

Just a thought.
It's funny. When I was looking at LRs to buy, every one I started on the lot at a number of different dealers showed the "Check Battery" light, including the one I ended up buying. However, after driving just a little, the light went out and has never come on since, even when the vehicle has sat for a week.

One issue I have noticed is that my mini garage door opener (a Lift Master) does interfere with the keyless entry system. I have to make sure the opener is not laying back to back with the key fob or the lock may not respond to my touch.

There is a warning about it in the owners manual. Strange that I never had the problem with any other keyless entry vehicle. Then again, I've never known of any other car manufactured after the 1980s that is known for a leaking original windshield.

ar077 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 03:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

Why not program the HomeLink buttons to open your garage door and then not carry the mini remote opener?

Old 05-09-2024, 10:20 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
Why not program the HomeLink buttons to open your garage door and then not carry the mini remote opener?
It is programmed. However, I live in a condo with separate garages. The only way in and out of the garage is through the garage door. I need the mini remote to get into the garage.