Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

InControl Remote App - iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:51 AM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default InControl Remote App - iPhone

Just picked up a 2017 CPO Discovery HSE 7-seater this past weekend. I've been trying to learn the ropes and reading a lot of the material from here. I have several questions, but I want to focus on the Remote app first. I know there are lots of threads across the internet, but I haven't found something that talks in the details enough about what I'm seeing. Lots of statements about making sure my SIM is good, coverage is good, etc. However, I'm trying to find more details. I saw a thread here talking about the authentication. Can someone provide more details on that?

I'm using the iPhone app with iOS 12 on the iPhone X. I've tried probably 15 times to use the Remote app to either start the car or lock/unlock the doors. It has worked three times. My range, journeys, weather all work fine regardless of how long it's been since I've been in it. However, if it's been longer than 5-ish minutes, it will not respond for the other items. I just get stale state data (Door Opened - Unlocked) and remote climate/locks don't work until I physically go to the car. One test I did showed that just the act of touching the passive door handle "woke" the car up so the app could communicate with it. Is the car really going to sleep after 5 minutes? Or is something else going on? I have great cell reception, doesn't matter if this is at my house or work. Killing the app and restarting it doesn't make a difference. The only thing I've noticed that makes a difference is if I've just stopped the car or just got to the car and unlocked it.

Took it to the dealer yesterday and they said they hadn't heard about this. But, they removed my car and added it back to the InControl system. I'm scheduled next week to get SW updates, maybe that will fix it? Is this specific to iOS?

This is a big deal to me because the dealer sold this app as an alternative to the cooled seats that this does not have but I wanted. If this isn't reliable, this becomes a problem for me. And, everything I'm reading online is saying reliability of this app has been a problem for years. Any word on when the next app update is coming?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-17-2018, 06:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

My app is 100pc reliable and works every time. So keep with the dealer until they fix it. A few ideas

1) software update - good place to start
2) car battery. Only a 2017 but sometimes they fail prematurely. The electronics are v sensitive to a good battery
3) sim issue - someone else reported a bad sim reader. Have them run diagnostics on the system

Beyond that it should be up to them to fix. As I say mine is fully reliable

Old 10-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
My app is 100pc reliable and works every time. So keep with the dealer until they fix it. A few ideas

2) car battery. Only a 2017 but sometimes they fail prematurely. The electronics are v sensitive to a good battery
3) sim issue - someone else reported a bad sim reader. Have them run diagnostics on the system

Same here, very reliable.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:10 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by BritCars

Thanks, @BritCars, I'll be sure to check into those things! For the SW update, is there a specific SW module I'm asking them to update? I'm having them install the ICTP Phase 4 SW next week. Is that the right one for this issue?

Side note, any chance you can tell me what version my current ICTP SW is? My Navigation App Settings show "20.14-1165"

Last edited by BchBum11511; 10-17-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes. The in control pro software. Not sure how you get the version number but presumably they can update with whatever the very latest is and hope that solves it for you.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:54 AM
Mudding

Well, I got it back from the dealer after updating to 18C. Have tried to use the app twice since. Both times it couldn’t connect. I asked them to check sim. Will see what they say...

Old 10-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

have you received the email from Land Rover to set up your InControl account? It was a strange process to link the AT&T data account to the Discovery; perhaps that process isn't complete? I agree with the others- the connection between the app and the Disco seems solid for me- there was definitely a solid 20 minute front-end process that my sales guy had to go through to get it set up correctly.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:28 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bvdave
have you received the email from Land Rover to set up your InControl account? It was a strange process to link the AT&T data account to the Discovery; perhaps that process isn't complete? I agree with the others- the connection between the app and the Disco seems solid for me- there was definitely a solid 20 minute front-end process that my sales guy had to go through to get it set up correctly.
Yes, I did that at the dealer and did it again (they removed me) last week. I can’t quite tell if the ICTP SW update has made it better. It didn’t work again this morning. But, earlier this afternoon I deleted the app off my phone and reinstalled. So far I’m 3 for 4 in connecting to it. That’s an improvement for sure.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:07 PM
Mudding

Well, a few days later, and I'm still not 100%. The app seems to be hit or miss when I first open it. But, if I swipe down to refresh, it seems to connect most of the time. When I'm on wireless (both phone and car), it seems to work just about every time. At work, I must be in a bad 3G spot, even though the AT&T map says I've got great coverage. I'm going to try and park on the other side of the building to see it that helps.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:09 AM
Mudding

Well, I’m back to pretty much not connecting. The last two days it has t connected unless I just left the car (within five minutes). This is getting really frustrating...I’ve called the dealer. We’ll see what they come up with sometime next week.

Quick Reply: InControl Remote App - iPhone