New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment - Maps + Anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 02:46 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infotainment - Maps + Anything else?

2017 Discovery HSE.

I sure hope I'm overlooking something because it seems like a really overlooked piece of UX to allow split-screen UI on most infotainment items but not navigation. What I mean is that when you have Audio on infotainment, you can browse other items on the right of screen (quick mention - it should be on the left for left-side drivers). But when navigation is front & center, it can be the only thing front & center; i.e. you cannot have ANYTHING else show. No music, no weather, etc. Just maps.

And when you're playing music, the lack of info they provide in that small space for Nav is astounding. Just the street name? If navigation is going then it should show the next step.

I just wrapped up my first road trip and man the entire experience was sweet, except the damn Nav + Music problem.

Is there really no way to show Music while Nav is on display? You can't even tell what song/station you are selection when you go "Next" because no other piece of screen real estate shows it, even though there is plenty of space in the black status bar at the top of infotainment.

Before buying the vehicle I read reports of the bad infotainment. Mostly they're all true, but I feel somewhat overblown. Except this. Major issue when driving long trips with many exits, turns. Switching between nav & music all the time is cumbersome.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Do you have the digital dashboard? If so, you can display music on that (in between speedo and rev counter) and use the in control screen for Nav

Old 02-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Overlanding

That reminds me of another gripe: if you keep that screen on music then that's the only info it provides, despite tons of blank space. The screens seem like the only poorly thought out part of the car

That and not being able to fold the 2nd row seats from the 2nd row. You can only fold 2nd row seats from the front seat, rear seat/trunk, or your phone...but not the 2nd row.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's almost like they released these cars without having tested them in real world situations.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by 2019D5
It's almost like they released these cars without having tested them in real world situations.
In just a handful of aspects, I agree. Overall, though, it feels like such a well thought-out vehicle that the oversights seem even more egregious.

Still, love it.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Quote. That and not being able to fold the 2nd row seats from the 2nd row. You can only fold 2nd row seats from the front seat, rear seat/trunk, or your phone...but not the 2nd row.

Do you have the electric or the mechanical seats? With electric it's an easy fold from the second row

On the screens, can you customize the content or just the color scheme, background etc?

Old 02-07-2019, 06:15 PM
Overlanding

I do have electric fold but even the dealer confirmed there's no way to fully fold 2nd row from 2nd row (though you can slide forward for 3rd row access).

For the screen I'm not quite sure what you mean. I can customize the screen. It is not the SE screen if that's what you're referring to.

Thank you.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ah yes - by fold I thought you meant 3rd row access. Yes - hadn't thought of that but you're right that you can't fully fold 2nd row seats from the 2nd row itself