New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laggy Accelerator Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 10:30 AM
4wd High
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Same issue here on a new 2018. I found a record of the issue on the NHTSA site dated 8/20/18 stating that LR knows about the issue and is investigating it. Didn't see anything past that date but if anyone gets it resolved please post. This is the info from the site:

August 20, 2018 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: SFCC09AUG18REVLR
Components: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
NHTSA ID Number: 10145945
Manufacturer Communication Number: SFCC09AUG18REVLR
Summary
A customer may complain of a hesitation while accelerating from a "rolling stop".
7 Affected Products

Vehicles

MAKEMODELYEAR
LAND ROVER DISCOVERY2017-2018
LAND ROVER RANGE ROVER SPORT 2014-2018
Range Rover
RR Sport
Discovery

equipped with AJ126 Engines

A Customer may complain of a hesitation while accelerating from a ‘rolling stop’. We are investigating complaints on MY18 vehicles which had complaints from new as well as 14-17 MY vehicles where this complaint surfaced following a software update. Perform diagnosis and repair of any DTCs stored. If a repair is made and validated based on DTCs, raise an EPQR and hold any parts replaced for analysis. If the complaint is deemed to be normal as compared to another like vehicle, raise an EPQR with a video of the live data signals below, taken when the complaint occurred attached to the report. Also describe in detail what conditions cause the complaint to occur. PCM:
TCM: Under Investigation
• Accelerator Pedal Position 1. • Vehicle Speed 2. • Throttle Position 3. • Engine RPM 4. Throttle Position Engine Torque Gear Position Output Shaft Speed

Old 01-04-2019, 08:08 PM
4wd High

Was able to track down the details of the tsb mentioned earlier in this thread that someone claimed fixed their problem. I am going to try and get my dealer to perform this next week to see if it helps.

Here it is in case it helps anyone:

Reference
SSM73409
Discovery / L462
LR3 / L319
Range Rover / L322 Range Rover / L405 Range Rover Sport / L494
Land Rover 8 Speed Automatic Transmission
Driveline
21-Mar-2018 00:00:00
503000 Automatic Transmission Engagement Concerns
Issue:
Powertrain Transmission Module Learn Adaption routine has been instated on SDD/Pathfinder.
Cause:
The routines have been installed after enhancements were made to each, following feedback from the market, as of Version 152 Patch 2
Action:
Should a customer contact a retailer regarding Automatic Transmission shift quality on 8 Speed variants, please follow the routine below in the first instance after fully understanding and confirming the customer concern.
1.Ensure Transmission and other relevant Powertrain control modules are at the latest software level available.
2.If there are any DTC’s read by the diagnostic tool, resolve them, before proceeding.
3.Using the routine, “Powertrain – Transmission control module adaptions”, ensure that all the clutches have at least 3
adaption counts.
4.If any of the clutches have less than 3 adaption counts, carry out an adaption drive cycle using, “Powertrain Transmission Module Learn Adaption” to achieve a minimum of 3 counts on each clutch.
5. If the shift quality concern is still present carry out an adaption drive cycle using, “Powertrain Transmission Module Pulse Adaption” routine to achieve a minimum count of 3 on each.
5.If all the clutches have at least 3 adaption counts and all Powertrain modules have the latest software, should there still be a shift quality concern, raise a TA, with a screen shot of your adaption status. The TA will advise further help in order to resolve the issue
You may also be asked to provide the session file detailing
“Powertrain – Transmission control module adaption” routine.
Models
Title
Category
Last modified
Symptom Content

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=887708 1/2
3/21/2018 SSM73409 - Land Rover 8 Speed Automatic Transmission | TOPIx

The following 3 users liked this post by mmmkam:
Alan Gochin (03-01-2019), andries (01-06-2019), Groucho123 (01-10-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:03 AM
4wd High

So my dealer claims to have tried the posted TSB after I gave a copy of it to them yesterday and says it didn't fix the issue. I am a bit skeptical they actually did anything as the app doesn't show the vehicle has had any "journeys" since last Thursday when they looked at it the first time. Not sure what the minimum distance the vehicle needs to move before a trip is registered. I am told they raised the lag issue to LR and are waiting to hear back for support on the issue. Anyone else make any further progress on getting this addressed?

Old 01-08-2019, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

I was told it's an issue they are well aware of. It needs a software fix but is v complex due to performance and emissions requirements. So it is not yet fixed and it could be a few months more.

The fix above for gear change quality sounds different to the laggy accelerator issue

Old 01-08-2019, 08:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm driving around a Velar while my Disco is in for a software update, and it doesn't exhibit any of the [rolling stop] lag that my truck does. Throttle response is rapid and crisp.

Also, I must say that the Disco somehow feels more refined than the Velar. I don't know if it's the Disco's sheer size and presence, or the way it perfectly mists the washer fluid on the windshield (as opposed to the Velar's three streams), but the Disco's got something over it.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:38 AM
4wd High

Still not fixed after the TSB. Car is back at dealer and i got it escalated to LR. I found at least 6 reports on the NHTSA website database of same/similar issues as listed below along with the manufacturer communications to the dealership on the issue which states essentially "under investigation" with instructions to the dealership to record and send LR a number of operational perimeters while replicating the issue. I would encourage anyone having this problem to submit a report on the NHTSA site. The first item listed here was associated with the TSB previously posted in this thread.

NHTSA ID Number: 11109683

NEW VEHICLE, LESS THAN 600 MILES, ERRATIC GAS PEDAL, START AT STOP SIGN, CAR LAGS/STALLS. BEEN AT DEALERSHIP FOR 3 WEEKS, THEY TELL ME IT IS WITHIN LAND ROVER SPEC. CAR SEVERELY HESITATES WHEN GOING FROM STOP. BEEN ALMOST HIT BROAD SIDE THREE TIMES. THIS HAPPENS NO MATTER IF THE ECO STOP/START IS ACTIVE OR NOT. WILL NOT DRIVE THIS VEHICLE, VERY DANGEROUS. NOT GETTING ANYWHERE WITH DEALER FOR HELP. DEALER SAYS LAND ROVER INVESTIGATING. ALSO, BACK UP CAMERA NON OPERATIVE, THIRD ONE INSTALLED, STILL NOT WORKING AND HAVE TO ORDER FROM UK.

NHTSA ID Number: 10145945

A customer may complain of a hesitation while accelerating from a "rolling stop".

NHTSA ID Number: 10146385

NHTSA ID Number: 10148482

A customer may complain of a lack of power when accelerating from a ?rolling stop?

NHTSA ID Number: 10144551

A customer may complain of a lack of power when accelerating from a ?rolling stop?

NHTSA ID Number: 10145853

Old 01-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
I was told it's an issue they are well aware of. It needs a software fix but is v complex due to performance and emissions requirements. So it is not yet fixed and it could be a few months more.
This is something they got right in other vehicles with the same/similar transmission, and with a S/C engine I can't see why it so difficult for them to fix. It is not like they are designing it from the ground up, and never have done or gotten it right before.

I took the D5 in last year and complained, they stated they updated the SW on the 2019 D5 and it did feel better after the updates. However not completely fixed. Unfortunately they never listed what updates was done.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Yep...

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
I'm driving around a Velar while my Disco is in for a software update, and it doesn't exhibit any of the [rolling stop] lag that my truck does. Throttle response is rapid and crisp.

Also, I must say that the Disco somehow feels more refined than the Velar. I don't know if it's the Disco's sheer size and presence, or the way it perfectly mists the washer fluid on the windshield (as opposed to the Velar's three streams), but the Disco's got something over it.
Agree! They gave me a Velar as a loaner and I couldn't wait to get my Disco back....

Old 01-10-2019, 09:19 PM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho123
Agree! They gave me a Velar as a loaner and I couldn't wait to get my Disco back....
x2

I've had a Velar, Evoque, and as of yesterday, a Discovery Sport. They've got nothing on the D5

However, if I ever get a RR HSE as a loaner, I might not have the same feeling

Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't been in a Velar, though we considered buying one. Sounds like we dodged a bullet there. I have been in multiple evoque and not noticed any of the lag. I have also been in a few RR and I noticed the lag in all, though to varying degrees.

Quick Reply: Laggy Accelerator Fix?