New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laggy Accelerator Fix?

Old 10-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Laggy Accelerator Fix?

I've read about this common problem (I have it too) and I have seen people take theirs in for some sort of software update. To be clear, my issue is when I slow down and then accelerate (before coming to a complete stop), my accelerator is very slow to respond. Did this fix completely resolve the issue or only make it slightly better?

I've been driving like a madman since I purchased the car (much to do chagrin of my passengers), hoping that the problem would go away, but it hasn't. Sport mode is no better. For me, this is a safety concern as the laggy pedal could leave me vulnerable to oncoming traffic.

Old 10-27-2018, 02:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Yup!

Originally Posted by preeble
I've read about this common problem (I have it too) and I have seen people take theirs in for some sort of software update. To be clear, my issue is when I slow down and then accelerate (before coming to a complete stop), my accelerator is very slow to respond. Did this fix completely resolve the issue or only make it slightly better?

I've been driving like a madman since I purchased the car (much to do chagrin of my passengers), hoping that the problem would go away, but it hasn't. Sport mode is no better. For me, this is a safety concern as the laggy pedal could leave me vulnerable to oncoming traffic.
I'm glad someone else found this hard to deal with...I find myself actually goosing the pedal sooner than normal to compensate.
I'll be interested to see if there is a fix.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

We still have it. Pretty badly

LR dealer investigated. Claimed all ok and we pushed them hard. Master tech took it out for test drive and agreed it's a real issue. He found a 'not well publicized' bulletin with overview of it. Apparently they are working on a solution but as it requires changes to engine control it has to go through emissions compliance in the US. So they think it will be Q1 next year before we have a fix

Old 10-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I’m looking forward to a fix. This is the first vehicle to make me wish for a cable operated throttle.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
We still have it. Pretty badly

LR dealer investigated. Claimed all ok and we pushed them hard. Master tech took it out for test drive and agreed it's a real issue. He found a 'not well publicized' bulletin with overview of it. Apparently they are working on a solution but as it requires changes to engine control it has to go through emissions compliance in the US. So they think it will be Q1 next year before we have a fix
Maybe if they check with Volkswagen, I think they had a solution to those bothersome emission thingy's.....

Old 10-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho123
Maybe if they check with Volkswagen, I think they had a solution to those bothersome emission thingy's.....
I had a first gen Panamera TT (part of VW group, although technically owned by the Porsche family) and it also suffered from the same exact pedal issue without a good fix. They supposedly fixed it in the latest generation PTT, but it was extremely frustrating. I got around it by just manually shifting most of the time. Perhaps I will do this with the Discovery now.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I drove to a far away dealer to test drive, and possibly buy, a 2017 Discovery that had 10K miles on it. I really didn't like the way it drove - sluggish like you mentioned.
I wouldn't buy it and the dealer offered me another 2017 that had 13K miles on it. It drives great and I bought it. Not sure why the first was sluggish but the dealer said it was an adaptive transmission and maybe it was driven that way previously. No way I was going for that.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same issue here. I brought it up to the attention to the dealership twice. On the second visit it has been acknowledged by the head technician from the dealership, but he said that he cannot re-engineer how the transmission works. I asked to test drive another 2018 Discovery and it had exactly the same issue. There are plenty of cars that use the same transmission (new Wrangler, for example), and somehow they were able to program it properly. We need to keep pushing for the fix as the current behavior is simply unacceptable. I find it outright scary, for example when turning left after yielding to oncoming traffic. Even my wife, who's not a car person by any means, is complaining about the sluggish acceleration from a slow-rolling start.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Is there still a LR corporate rep on here? If so, wonder if we can ask for their help. Clearly not something that individual dealers can address. And it seems to affect enough of the cars that it's going to give a v poor impression of the vehicle if it's not addressed

Old 10-30-2018, 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Brand new D5 and it seems to have the same issue. When coming to a rolling stop it lags when you git the gas for 1-2 sec. But full stop it goes just fine. Guess it prevents rolling Stop sign violations.

Did not notice this on the test drive with another D5 at dealer initially. Those normally gets hammered with test drives, so perhaps need to drive very aggressive for a while. Not sure how will it will adapt/learn though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Laggy Accelerator Fix?