Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lame. 1100 miles in and...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 07:33 PM
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lame. 1100 miles in and...

Our new D5 was undriveable today. I was already at work, wife started it up to head out to her work and upon starting the engine, RPMs all over the place, then super low and almost stalling with check engine light on. I asked her to just pull it out and drive it up the street, but she said it was super rough and shifting very abnormally, she just parked it and took our Honda to work. I got home and checked it out- same thing. Super jerky and hard random down shifts when you reach 20 mph or more. We certainly can’t drive it to our dealership 45 mins away, so Land Rover will have to tow it up there Wednesday. It’s not even registered yet, lol. I’m glad we weren’t on a trip, otherwise we’d be stranded... Anybody have any suggestions? Anyway to somehow reboot the control systems to see if it was a random freak out. Total bummer.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Literally brand new?? Wow / that's frustrating

Yes, you can reboot it. Disconnect battery for 30 seconds and reconnect. (Right hand side panel of the boot/trunk). But honestly I'd let the dealer have it 'as is' so they can replicate the problem.

One quick idea to check. Connect a volt meter across the terminals and see what the voltage is. Modern cars are v sensitive to voltage and if it's a new car not yet driven much the battery could be low. That generates all sorts of spurious error messages. If it's low give it a full charge then try it again

The following users liked this post:
AirRyan (07-07-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 08:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Sorry to hear. Sell it, they are junk. Glad you weren’t on a trip indeed. I seem to be the outcast regarding the D5 but all I hear and read is problem after problem. At 70k that’s absurd. Don’t touch a thing and let the dealer deal with it so it can be fixed properly.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds just like ours that is in for the 3rd time now, over 2 months total. Sad thing is ours was absolutely perfect for almost 15K. Now, one problem, and it is not only leave you stranded serious, they cannot seem to fix it. It is electrical. They are shotgun-ing by swapping both junction boxes but I have yet to receive an update this week on progress or no? With the 4th, I'm guessing no.

Updating here when I actually learn anything . . .

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...m-99546/page4/

We have decided we do NOT like the Discovery Sport loaner. Is that progress?

Well, the wife has. I've only driven it once. I may have to take it CO and back this week. Has to be better than driving my ole Tacoma that far . . .

Old 07-06-2020, 10:55 PM
7th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Sounds just like ours that is in for the 3rd time now, over 2 months total. Sad thing is ours was absolutely perfect for almost 15K. Now, one problem, and it is not only leave you stranded serious, they cannot seem to fix it. It is electrical. They are shotgun-ing by swapping both junction boxes but I have yet to receive an update this week on progress or no? With the 4th, I'm guessing no.

Updating here when I actually learn anything . . .

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...m-99546/page4/

We have decided we do NOT like the Discovery Sport loaner. Is that progress?

Well, the wife has. I've only driven it once. I may have to take it CO and back this week. Has to be better than driving my ole Tacoma that far . . .
Thanks for the responses, everybody...

Canon,

What year is yours? I’m just wondering if you can Lemon Law that thing or is it too late. How could they not fix it in 2 months? That’s awful.

Old 07-07-2020, 02:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

2019 - They have about 2 more weeks

Old 07-07-2020, 08:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by stillruns
Sorry to hear. Sell it, they are junk. Glad you weren’t on a trip indeed. I seem to be the outcast regarding the D5 but all I hear and read is problem after problem. At 70k that’s absurd. Don’t touch a thing and let the dealer deal with it so it can be fixed properly.
All you hear and read is problem after problem because people only post when there's a problem. People don't post that there is no problem.
Any forum, for any brand, or for any product, not even a vehicle, is filled with posted problems. Posting a problem to a forum is a way to get help with it.

The following users liked this post:
Drake Anderson (07-07-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 08:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like the p[roblems I had with my D5 TD6 right after purchase. Turned out to be a broken plastic intake adapter. Got it replaced and now 25k miles later , only oil changes, regular maintenance and software upgrades.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default And all you vehicles never had a problem - haha!

Originally Posted by stillruns
If you own one, then comment. Otherwise you are speculating and basically clueless. 38k miles and running better than ever. My last vehicle daily has 365k miles and still runs strong, but wanted a newer and safer ride. Running an old rig forever just puts you at risk from other drivers.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:48 AM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Without even a model year and engine type, it's hard to find such posts very useful.