Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane Departure System

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 09:32 AM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lane Departure System

Have a 17' Disco 5 HSE TD6 and my manual says I should have the whole Lane Departure system, but I don't see it anywhere in my options and it sure as hell doesn't work on the road. Am I missing something?

Old 09-15-2023, 11:22 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure the manual has a disclaimer that not all features may be present on your vehicle and just documents all available features. My '18 didn't come with it, but it has the emergency braking feature. Since emergency braking uses the same camera module in the windshield as lane keeping assist I was able to enable LKA using my GAP tool.

The other thing you'll be missing is the LKA button near the rear hatch button. That module was an easy swap for me, but TBH it's a pain to look for the button and press it while you're driving. It's still available to turn on and off in the cluster screen if you need without the button.

The following users liked this post:
ar077 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 11:28 AM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are 100% correct! I am missing those features, unfortunately, which sucks. I thought stuff like that was standard on those models. Guess I learned something new today lol. Would I be able to reach out to my dealer about enabling this feature?

The following users liked this post:
ar077 (09-18-2023)
Old 09-15-2023, 04:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

What's the LKA button? I don't have that on my 2018. Just turn on and off through the cluster screen menu

I'm impressed you could add it after as it has to be able to mechanically turn the steering wheel for you to nudge the car back in lane. I wouldn't have thought that fitted to cars without the feature

To OP - dealer won't enable any features not sold with the car.
(I find it a bit irritating around town anyway as it activates too much)

Old 09-15-2023, 04:52 PM
Drifting

Here's the LKA button I swapped out. The button itself didn't require any coding. I rarely ever use it unless there's a situation that warrants. Last time I was on a windy road and the system kept pushing me towards a cliff wall on the left. I felt more comfortable driving on my own in that case. As to the steering nudging you're right. The steering rack needs to have electric assist for it to work The good news is there's only one part number for the rack and the programming just tells the truck the rack doesn't have the assist motor.

Old 09-17-2023, 01:44 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious where to buy a Gap tool?

Hey there! I just picked up a 17 HSE and I have the AEB and Traffic sign recognition. I was reading I can code the lane departure system. I have a pretty nice Autel that does ADAS for many models but it appears to have no functionality for the Landy outside of standard resets and adaptations. I hate to sound like a total noob but where can one pick up a GAP tool?

Old 09-17-2023, 04:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Chucktastic
Here's the LKA button I swapped out. The button itself didn't require any coding. I rarely ever use it unless there's a situation that warrants. Last time I was on a windy road and the system kept pushing me towards a cliff wall on the left. I felt more comfortable driving on my own in that case. As to the steering nudging you're right. The steering rack needs to have electric assist for it to work The good news is there's only one part number for the rack and the programming just tells the truck the rack doesn't have the assist motor.

Amazing. 5 years and I've never noticed that button before! I always thought it was a pain that you had to navigate menus to turn it off. Now I see there is a better way! I like it on long highway drives but not around town.

Old 09-17-2023, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chucktastic
I'm sure the manual has a disclaimer that not all features may be present on your vehicle and just documents all available features. My '18 didn't come with it, but it has the emergency braking feature. Since emergency braking uses the same camera module in the windshield as lane keeping assist I was able to enable LKA using my GAP tool.

The other thing you'll be missing is the LKA button near the rear hatch button. That module was an easy swap for me, but TBH it's a pain to look for the button and press it while you're driving. It's still available to turn on and off in the cluster screen if you need without the button.
This caught my attention… I’ve got an ‘18 as well with the emergency braking, and I recently got the GAP tool. I assumed I couldn’t activate the LKA without having the steering wheel controls. I wonder how hard it would be to find the parts and install/activate adaptive cruise, if it’s even possible. It’s the one thing I miss on this vehicle compared to the ‘21 Tacoma I previously had.

Where did you find the LKA module?

Old 09-17-2023, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by COSD5_chad
This caught my attention… I’ve got an ‘18 as well with the emergency braking, and I recently got the GAP tool. I assumed I couldn’t activate the LKA without having the steering wheel controls. I wonder how hard it would be to find the parts and install/activate adaptive cruise, if it’s even possible. It’s the one thing I miss on this vehicle compared to the ‘21 Tacoma I previously had.

Where did you find the LKA module?
The switch module is p/n FK72-11654-DC. I got mine on ebay. The two modules have a different connector, but my 18 had both plugs on the harness. It was plug and play. You don't even need it for lane keep assist to work, but the car built with the feature would have it.

Adaptive cruise is something I haven't tackled yet. As far as i can tell the radar modlule prewire doesnt exist on mine.