Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My impressions off roading

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 11:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Default My impressions off roading

There’s some serious issues I’ve come across. One of which left me stranded where I had to walk a mile and get help. This thing might be all amazing in commercials but it’s definitely made to look the part rather than be the part. Someone was stuck in a John Deere gator down the beach so I grabbed my anchor rode and headed down to pull them out. Then the person that stuck the ATV managed to break the key off in the ignition which made it a large dead weight. So we put it in neutral and with a few attempts of doing the running start we were able to rubber band it free.

im crawling through the sand pulling this thing when I get a transmission overheat warning that then shuts it down causing me to sink into the sand and ultimately get stuck myself. After waiting 20 min for it to cool I unhooked the gator and tried to get out of the sand but it instantly gave me another overheat warning and cut power right as I was about out making it even worse. So I ended up having to walk a mile to get someone.

I have to say this mess would have never happened on any of my trucks I’ve owned before. It was in the 60s so I can’t imagine how the tell they say they drove these across Africa. All I know is is that when I’m in the middle of no where and I need something to get done then I need it done. I can replace fluid later. I don’t need it shutting itself down when things are critical. What’s this going to do when we go off roading on Colorado hunting?

Old 10-18-2020, 12:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Oh, there’s also a weird scrubbing noise in the front when I hit the accelerator now. Metal rubbing on something when applying power. No clue what it is. Maybe the differential stripped out pulling through the sand. Guess I’ll see what the dealer has to say.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Well... the stuff driving through Africa back then he manual transmissions, weighed a lot less, and they frankly weren’t pulling a heavy dead weight through the sand which is akin to an anchor, so I’m not sure it’s a fair comparison. That said if a modern pickup truck could do it, say one with comparable towing capacity to a Disco, then the Disco should be able to do it. Maybe it could, but possibly it couldn’t given most vehicles use the same 8 speed ZF that is in the Disco.
We don’t know if your technique was the best, we don’t know if any other vehicle could have done it, too many unknowns.
That said I would want the system to shut down to protect expensive parts that could leave me stranded (whether in Africa or Arizona) like a transmission which would cost a fortune to fix and if it was cooking would likely not last much longer even if the computer didn’t shut it down.

Sucks though.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:56 PM
Rock Crawling

As I stated I do know others could do it as I’ve lived and imparted in this environment here for 30 years.

They literally states they drove across the Sahara with these as well as have demonstrations in the Andes.

There’s isn’t a technique to pulling someone out. You either do it right and they’re out or you don’t and they’re stuck.

The vehicle being towed wasn’t even close to the towing capacity.

Feel free to die somewhere or have situations, like this, made much worse, due to your computer limiters. I’d rather have those options left up to me. I’m capable of reading a gauge and deciding if I need to stop or not. Caught in a Cali wildfire a d trying to get out? I’ll melt the engine if needed. I’m capable enough I don’t need a computer to force actions.

ive worked on a each towing machinery forever. If what happened was enough to send it overheating then it’s poorly designed. I don’t see it surviving going slow in high and hot environments.

Old 10-18-2020, 05:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

I'd be at the dealership in the morning... that doesn't sound like it is working as expected at all. I wouldn't expect this to be everyone's experience. Let us know what happens... i thought you had a disco V

Old 10-18-2020, 06:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by TexasLandmark
I'd be at the dealership in the morning... that doesn't sound like it is working as expected at all. I wouldn't expect this to be everyone's experience. Let us know what happens... i thought you had a disco V
I do have a Disco V. A GMC Sierra didn’t seem to have issues pulling this thing all the way back. (Weighs more than the gator obviously).