Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Poor Disco!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 04:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
Yeah but who cares, that’s what insurance is for.
And frankly I don’t want to drive around in a heavily repaired vehicle. I don’t trust them.
if that vehicle was body on frame it wouldn’t be “heavily repaired.” It would be a relatively simple repair job. You don’t know much about body work.

and I’ve driven across country twice in a “heavily repaired” 1997 two door Tahoe. I would trust it to get across country and back than my l322 Range Rover without any problems.

Old 03-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

I’d trust a 97 Tahoe more than a RR too...

Don’t assume you know anything about my knowledge of vehicles. I restored a 1975 F250 Hi Boy with a friend which had very rotted bodywork and a sound frame (ziebarted from new). We also rebuilt its 360FE from block up so I know more than you think...

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 03-11-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:26 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Disco Wasn't a Total Loss

The appraiser only found $15k worth of damages and the shop found an extra $10k after removing the panels. Unfortunately $35k is my threshold so my Disco is getting repaired with $25k worth of damages. It's currently in the shop because the rocker panel reinforcement was back ordered. the side curtain airbag which couldn't be shipped air came before it. Here's the current situation.

The main question now is should I keep driving a Disco with $25k repair? My drive away price was $80k and currently only have $49k balance on my loan. I'm sure if I trade and include diminished value, I'll owe more than my balance. Thoughts?

Old 06-15-2020, 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to see the level of damage. Given the numbers you may have to drive it for while anyway and see if there are any major issues. Pity the rocker panel had to be replaced/fixed, not sure how much that will impact the shell in terms fo creaks, etc.

If you have to pay money to replace it, you may as well roll the dice and see how well the repairs turn out. What warranty does the body shop provide on repairs? You should definitely check out the suspension & drive train properly once you get it back to se if there are any latent mechanical issues. Some frame twisters offroad action may be a good test ground.

The upside is that you can now take if offroad without too much fear 😉 My wife scratched ours a bit on the driver side with her handbags and also some curb rash on the wheels, which opened the door for me to not feel to bad about a few trial pinstripes and a little rockrash on the wheels.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:03 PM
Overlanding

My insurance paid for all the repair minus the deductible. It's possible that LR will reimburse me for the deductible since I've been out of a vehicle for more than 2.5 months. The upside with taking the vehicle to the shop the dealership suggested is that all the warranties are still in place even with the accident, and will cover any issues with the repair that was done.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

Any way to recover money from diminished value? That might lessen the financial hole.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

It will never be the same. Sorry.

Old 06-16-2020, 08:33 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by 1979rover
Any way to recover money from diminished value? That might lessen the financial hole.
I'm going to try to hit up the other party's insurance for diminished value if I can. Surprisingly my insurance company still doesn't have the police report, but if I'm not at fault, I will definitely go for it.

The following users liked this post:
1979rover (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 02:05 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry but glad you are safe. I paid a little over $55k for mine and got 53,700 out of insurance as they totaled it. But I'm left with some nagging pain in my neck. In anything else I'd probably have been hurt pretty bad. The thing that kept them from fixing mine was that the floor in the foot well got pushed in about 12" and was un-repairable.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Overlanding

Wow, sorry to hear you're experiencing some pain from the accident. My neck bugged me for a bit, but I also Crossfit and it could've been that as well. It feels much better now though. Hope you feel better soon.

Quick Reply: My Poor Disco!