Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to disco 5 ( P360 troubles ?) - US model

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 12:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts
Default New to disco 5 ( P360 troubles ?) - US model

Greetings every one. We just got our new disco 5 (MY2022 - HSE ) yesterday.
Few hours later I took it back to the shop.
Why ?
When driving it, there is a whirling noise, like a spin of some sort of electric motor, turbo spooling up or down, as I accelerate, or coast ( between 1000 - 1800 RPM ).
I have never seen this on any of the new MHEV engines - but, true, this is a P360 and is fairly new engine model.
Has any one with a new DISCO 5 and a P360 heard that noise, or have experienced anything like that ?
Could this be normal, or something that is a problem?
I took one of the techs out on a test drive for a demo, and they acknowledged it - but, it is also very new to them. They do not have another vehicle to compare it to. Waiting to hear from the dealership if this is a problem, or a new "feature" from LR.
Any knowledge sharing is welcome and appreciated.

Old 07-28-2021, 06:32 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I haven't noticed that on my D5 w/P360, but I haven't been listening for it either. You might want to check on the (new) Defender forum for those with the P400. Same engine, just different mapping is my understanding.

Edit: might want to look at this thread. Does yours have Configurable Terrain Response? Maybe you could change the engine response there. I don't have Configurable TR myself, I opted for the tow package and on the D5 one can't have both (for no reason that anyone at JLR can tell me ).

Last edited by eelpout; 07-28-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:16 PM
Rock Crawling

@eelpout - Well, I am on that forum already.... in fact I do have a P400 110 MY2021. Nothing of the sort. It works like a champ ( knock on wood ). Now, this new Discovery has a slightly different engine, with some more bells and whistles. The Disco5 does the same noise, no matter what settings I am using. Don't get me wrong: is not lagging or anything, but I would hate to be on an interstate and get a turbo failure... or have a turbo failure, period. Something does not sound right. Or if it is, then ... it is something new.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:32 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue with my new D5 P360 MHEV(Belt-driven integrated Starter Generator, BiSG). BiSG generates torque directly on the crankshaft to help acceleration. I guess that's why whirling noise comes from BiSG in low RPM.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Default More issues (?)

Originally Posted by transmoo
I have the same issue with my new D5 P360 MHEV(Belt-driven integrated Starter Generator, BiSG). BiSG generates torque directly on the crankshaft to help acceleration. I guess that's why whirling noise comes from BiSG in low RPM.
Hello, and thank you for this insight.
I did not know about this ! However, the tech has detected low fluid level in the transfer case - so low, that they had to open a case with JLR NA, and waiting on the fluid for the transfer case to arrive from UK - none available in US (!!!). I don't think that it is, but ... will let them run the course of the investigation. What you say, makes much more sense, given the noise specifics. How long did you had the vehicle ? and did it always had this issue ?

The following users liked this post:
transmoo (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 07:14 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
Hello, and thank you for this insight.
I did not know about this ! However, the tech has detected low fluid level in the transfer case - so low, that they had to open a case with JLR NA, and waiting on the fluid for the transfer case to arrive from UK - none available in US (!!!). I don't think that it is, but ... will let them run the course of the investigation. What you say, makes much more sense, given the noise specifics. How long did you had the vehicle ? and did it always had this issue ?
I got my 2022 D5 HSE this month, July 10th. I noticed this noise once I left the dealership. The week after, I came back to the shop with a second/third-row seat incline/folding issue (the problem has been solved by calibrating both rows). I got 2021 RRS SE(MHEV) loaner 3,000 km on it and noticed the exact same noise as my 2022 D5. A little bit quieter..soundproofing batter? I don't know, didn't ask the tech.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:37 PM
Rock Crawling

@transmoo - thank you so much for very good info. As I mentioned I have a Defender P400 (MY2021) that is also MHEV and I do not hear that sound at all. I can only suspect that the P360 engine is new(is) or just fresh off the concept assembly line. My dealership has some pretty good guys. However, even the top tech was a bit baffled about this... and they had to open a case with JLR N.A. Now - granted, with the production delays and crazy stuff going on in the world, they only had 1 or 2 this year ( MY22). Even the transfer case fluid had to be ordered from UK, as they have now ( that in itself is another thing - how a brand new car can be shipped with low transfer case fluid !?)
If that is indeed the "natural" sound of the P360... so be it, and by what you are telling me, it looks that way. Not a major bother, but definitely unusual. Good thing is a leased vehicle, and if things go south quick, then ... JLR will have to address it.
Many thanks again !!!

Last edited by Mechano2020; 07-30-2021 at 09:41 PM.
transmoo (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 11:38 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
@transmoo - thank you so much for very good info. As I mentioned I have a Defender P400 (MY2021) that is also MHEV and I do not hear that sound at all. I can only suspect that the P360 engine is new(is) or just fresh off the concept assembly line. My dealership has some pretty good guys. However, even the top tech was a bit baffled about this... and they had to open a case with JLR N.A. Now - granted, with the production delays and crazy stuff going on in the world, they only had 1 or 2 this year ( MY22). Even the transfer case fluid had to be ordered from UK, as they have now ( that in itself is another thing - how a brand new car can be shipped with low transfer case fluid !?)
If that is indeed the "natural" sound of the P360... so be it, and by what you are telling me, it looks that way. Not a major bother, but definitely unusual. Good thing is a leased vehicle, and if things go south quick, then ... JLR will have to address it.
Many thanks again !!!
Thank you Mechano2020
My feeling is that P400 has less noise or not at all because it has 406 lb-ft VS P360 - 369 lb-ft torque with almost the same curb weight, less effort, and respectively BiSG generates less torque directly on the crankshaft comparing P360 or does not generate at all depending on the circumstances of the engine load, again IMHO.
Thanks!

Old 07-31-2021, 11:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Default To be continued

transmoo - I hope to have some updates on the vehicle the coming week. So far the dealership was above and beyond on the service and sales.... really pleased. Once the "verdict" is out, I will let you know. Appreciate again all the insight !

transmoo (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:44 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by transmoo
Thank you Mechano2020
My feeling is that P400 has less noise or not at all because it has 406 lb-ft VS P360 - 369 lb-ft torque with almost the same curb weight, less effort, and respectively BiSG generates less torque directly on the crankshaft comparing P360 or does not generate at all depending on the circumstances of the engine load, again IMHO.
Thanks!
I'm pretty sure the P360 and P400 are basically the same engine, as they have the same displacement (2996cc). My dealer tells me they are just mapped differently for an alternate power curve (why? who knows...). Maybe the difference in the ECU torque curve is why the whine isn't as noticeable. Or I suppose it's possible the P360 has a different sourced BISG part, but I'd find that unlikely.

transmoo (08-01-2021)

Quick Reply: New to disco 5 ( P360 troubles ?) - US model