New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to disco 5 ( P360 troubles ?) - US model

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 11:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Time for updates (or lack thereof)

Originally Posted by eelpout
Sorry to hear about your transfer case problems.

I'll just add I've been waiting on a replacement taillight for several weeks (was delaminated at delivery). I've been told it's likely to ship sometime next week from overseas and we'll get it in September... sometime.
This is getting ridiculous.
JLR apparently have NO parts whatsoever in US for their models ? A tail light should be something relatively common to have in stock. Wow !
As for my transfer case this is getting waaaayy ridiculous.
Here is the latest part of the saga for this week: a new higher level case was open with JLR, and ... they looked far and wide, and there isn't a single transfer case for my model anywhere from Australia (even if it was one, AUS is shut ) all the way the the other continents. None.
I asked the JLR N.A. rep - now what ? He said that after more than 45 days (already there) if they can't find one, the last resort is to pull one from an already manufactured vehicle ( I seriously doubt, or they think I am stupid ?).
How is this possible not to have parts for the vehicles they produce ? OK, I get it ... not a lot of parts, but a SINGE transfer case in the world ? Really !?
This is absolutely abysmal.
Yes is a great vehicle when it works, yes it looks nice and cool, but no parts ? this is not a single use product .....
Anyways, enough with my ranting. Once is fixed I am seriously thinking to sell it. Not because I don't like it (I don't even know if I do or not at 57 miles ) but because if something else is happening, then ... I am stuck.
Stay tuned for more "no news".

Old 08-30-2021, 11:03 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Mechano2020, for the latest updates and here is my update—the more mileage my DISCO gets during the break-in period, the less whirling noise. Today the noise has practically disappeared at 2,700 km. (1.5 months) I have no clue what's going on.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, it could be the break in period. However in my "glorious" 24 miles I could not hear but a whirling noise ....
In your case, if that noise was there and now gone, I would pay (out of pocket if need be ) an inspection of the oil / fluid of the transfer case, now that I learn my lesson the hard way.
May be nothing, but I am getting paranoid with the noises on a new car. If all checks out fine, then you're good, and you spent a few bucks for your peace of mind. If they find something else, you got warranty.
Anyways, keeps us posted if you will.
Thanks.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Worrisome news ...

Well, the news are not good ... here is why

What has this to do with my issue ? A lot actually.
The "chips" shortage is a true problem, however not the only one apparently.
I was told by JLR N.A. that the transfer case will have to be manufactured ( like in they do NOT have a single spare available - in the world !!! anywhere !)
Now with the factory in slow mode, I do not think any one will rush any time soon to get my box manufactured.

I really wonder in all honesty, who does these transfer cases ? Because I am sure that Nitra only put them together, like a lego.
So, long story short, I am out of vehicle for the foreseeable feature, no ETA, and being tossed like a rag doll from one ticket to another by JLR, which does not seem to care much at this point. Now, why would they ? they already sold the car. Right ?

Probably time to start looking for legal support on this one. I don't know if other manufacturers are that short in parts, like JLR, but is hard to imagine that they are so badly mismanaged.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

This is gonna become a miniblog ... sorry for that.
Anyhow ... here are some updates: the "part" has arrived state side. Yes, it does exists, and JLR N.A. confirmed is in the careful hands of US customs. Here is where good news ends. It will be there for another 2 weeks (yes, really !). Why ? no one knows.
So, in doing my research about transfer cases for JLR ( what else to do when the car is in the shop ) I learned that the case (the box itself ) is poured, molded if you will, in one country, India most likely. From there, it is shipped somewhere in Europe ( Austria or Italy ) where it is packed with all the goodies ( discs, chains and electronics ). At that point it is shipped to Nitra. The factory there, loads the software, and inventory it ( it gets a serial or something like that ) ; Note for the factory if you read this: ADD OIL this time. Once that is done, it is shipped to UK - Land Rover, which in turn, "directs it" to the requesting dealer - not kidding. The "directing" part got me... like there are more than 2 boxes in the world !!! Anyways, the long road to "success" is coming to a close, hopefully soon.
Stay tuned, will have more news soon - I hope.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:05 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, you have to wait another two weeks without any explanation why? Custom clearance? Or what? Crazy! Thank you for the updates.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by transmoo
So, you have to wait another two weeks without any explanation why? Custom clearance? Or what? Crazy! Thank you for the updates.
Yes, 2 more weeks. I was told "because is customs". No tracking # to see if this is indeed true, no port / location to see where is at ... that is all - pure and unadulterated BS !
I know every one blames it on COVID, but that is another used up BS excuse ...
"Covid" did not forget to put oil in the box, or had a bad supply chain, or have no transfer cases in the world.
Insane....

Old 09-25-2021, 02:08 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

my replacement taillight lens still hasn't arrived yet either. it supposedly shipped from the UK just this week. Crazy.

Old 10-15-2021, 10:58 AM
Rock Crawling

Yesterday was a big day !
I finally got the vehicle fixed.
The transfer case did arrive (apparently) 2 weeks ago, and it took a while to get out of the customs.
I can say now that the vehicle works as it should and it is really nice.
While at the dealership waiting on the vehicle to be brought to the bay, I was talking to a sales guy. I asked them about ordering another 2022 D5, and he told me that if I order one now, I will probably get a 2023 model.
Absolutely insane.
Anyways, that is the end of this saga, and I will fade away in the sunset with -insert background music and titles -

The following users liked this post:
eelpout (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 06:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Glad you got it fixed at last!

As you know all manufacturers are slowed by chip shortage and have a backlog. 2023 models start to get built typically in the spring so prob not surprising that an order now could have a 4-5 month lead time and therefore be a 2023