New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to disco 5 ( P360 troubles ?) - US model

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 06:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

The P360 and P400 were launched in the 2019 Range Rover Sport. So they have been around a while - I'd have thought the dealer should be quite familiar with them
They are basically the same engine as you say - power difference is in the electronic mapping. It's common practice - to be able to offer two performance levels at difference price points.

Let us know what you learn once they do the full diagnostics

Old 08-06-2021, 07:20 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mechano2020
Any updates from the dealership?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2021, 11:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 212 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by transmoo
Hi Mechano2020
Any updates from the dealership?

Thanks
Nope ....
They say the noise is possibly coming from the transfer case ( doubt it, but ... will see ).
In the entire North America there isn't a drop of the new transfer case fluid for the 2022 model ( yes, there is a new transfer case oil from the previous year). I spoke with Castrol US, and they have none either.
ETA for the fluid (arriving from UK !) is 8/16/2021.
I know they are not the most trouble free vehicles in the world, but ... not having fluids for a new model ? That is just plain bad management and planning from JLR.
Stay tuned, I have a feeling that there is more ...

Old 08-09-2021, 09:17 AM
8th Gear

Thank you for the update

Old 08-10-2021, 12:50 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Drive the snot out of the RRS until they fix?

Old 08-12-2021, 07:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Default More troubles on the horizon ...

First news : the "holly" oil finally arrived from UK ! The second ( bad ) news: it is the transfer case which is now deemed - dead.
Long story short: form dealership to home ( less than 15 miles ) there was the dreaded noise. Not knowing what that is, we took it back to the dealer. In all under 50 miles. Apparently the fluid level being low, it totaled the transfer case. Now, the dealer was over and above trying to accommodate us, but the third bad news of the day: there is no friggin' transfer case in the entire US, nor do they know if they can find one in Europe, as the factory is closed till November !!!
So, now waiting game ....
It is mind boggling how the quality control works at Nitra ... Anyways, I hope there is somewhere, in a dark corner, in an undisclosed warehouse, a shiny, new transfer case, just waiting to be shipped here. Stay tuned... will update with more news when available.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:30 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
First news : the "holly" oil finally arrived from UK ! The second ( bad ) news: it is the transfer case which is now deemed - dead.
Long story short: form dealership to home ( less than 15 miles ) there was the dreaded noise. Not knowing what that is, we took it back to the dealer. In all under 50 miles. Apparently the fluid level being low, it totaled the transfer case. Now, the dealer was over and above trying to accommodate us, but the third bad news of the day: there is no friggin' transfer case in the entire US, nor do they know if they can find one in Europe, as the factory is closed till November !!!
So, now waiting game ....
It is mind boggling how the quality control works at Nitra ... Anyways, I hope there is somewhere, in a dark corner, in an undisclosed warehouse, a shiny, new transfer case, just waiting to be shipped here. Stay tuned... will update with more news when available.
Ouch! That's not good news. Hopefully, a new transfer case will be solved that issue. I read a news article about the Nitra plant that some dealers might not receive their vehicle until as late as April 2022 since the factory is closed. That's insane..
Thanks for the updates!

Old 08-13-2021, 02:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Default What else is missing from the inventory ?

I get this is a relatively rare occurrence, but not having 1 ( ONE ) replacement unit in the entire US in this day and age ? No, I am not buying the pandemic excuse. This should have been though before vehicles were imported here.
What other parts are missing in case you get into a crash, or have ... an engine blowout ... or God knows what else?
I am too deep into it now, and I seriously start regretting this purchase. Might as well be an Ineos ! is also a "new" vehicle.
Don't get me wrong: I like the Discos ( that is why I bought one ) but service for a vehicle is kinda important, especially when is an LR.

The following users liked this post:
transmoo (08-13-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 10:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Well .. this is turning more into a blog than a forum, but oh well, here are some updates ( or lack thereof ): spoke with JLR N.A. today, and there is apparently no firm date or ETA for the arrival of the transfer case. The rep was super nice and really seemed genuinely surprised about the entire thing. He told me more things that deepened my fears : the JLR parts situation is so dire, that the factory has parts not only for a limited production ( my thinking - most expensive ones ? )
Body parts, anything to do with electronics, or even ABS components are is extremely short supply. And I am being told pretty much everything.
This is now not a "chips due to Covid problem" but a much larger issue.
So in my case can be anything from a few weeks, to over a month from today; just "celebrated" a month of waiting today !
Not sure how this will end, but I do not feel good about it. Again looking at other manufacturers, Toyota announced the other day that they slashed production by almost 40 % ?? Ford is closing or stopping factories around the world too for the time being.
Anyways, stay safe, don't get in a fender bender ( you're toast if you do ) and pray the vehicle won't break down.
Will update as soon as I hear more on my end.

Last edited by Mechano2020; 08-19-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:50 PM
Mudding
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechano2020
... the JLR parts situation is so dire, that the factory has parts not only for a limited production ( my thinking - most expensive ones ? )
Body parts, anything to do with electronics, or even ABS components are is extremely short supply. And I am being told pretty much everything.
This is now not a "chips due to Covid problem" but a much larger issue.
Sorry to hear about your transfer case problems.

I'll just add I've been waiting on a replacement taillight for several weeks (was delaminated at delivery). I've been told it's likely to ship sometime next week from overseas and we'll get it in September... sometime.

Quick Reply: New to disco 5 ( P360 troubles ?) - US model