Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok so td6 or si6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1979rover
I've been in this D5 Si6 for almost two months and have put about 3,500mi on it.
Ahh okay, I am a TD6 so I don't think my experiences apply.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:40 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I actually OWN a TD6, which is why I initially noted the difference.

The Si6 I'm driving is a dealer loaner.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:59 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up a brand new Si6 and am experiencing the lag, particularly going from 2nd to 1st. I have no issues starting from a dead stop - the issue comes on when I am already rolling (for example, making a right turn at a stop sign that I don't really stop at) - there is a very dangerous lag where the car does nothing. I am going to try and use the accelerator more aggressively and hopefully it will learn something...

Old 09-17-2018, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by preeble
I just picked up a brand new Si6 and am experiencing the lag, particularly going from 2nd to 1st. I have no issues starting from a dead stop - the issue comes on when I am already rolling (for example, making a right turn at a stop sign that I don't really stop at) - there is a very dangerous lag where the car does nothing. I am going to try and use the accelerator more aggressively and hopefully it will learn something...
step on it pretty hard for a while. After a couple tanks of gas it should tighten up

Old 09-21-2018, 11:09 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came from a F250 diesel we got for towing a 34 ft travel trailer. I said I would never go gas again no matter what. I test drove the TD6 and then the SI6, extensively. As far as fun driving goes the SI6 won out. I was dead set on the diesel for mileage and the torque but when I drove the gasser it was impossible for me to go with diesel. There is a little more maintenance with a diesel but that should not sway anyone buying a $70k plus vehicle. Decide what you want from it Day in and day out. I am getting better mileage out of the gasser than any truck I have ever had. Had F150 eco boost before the F250 powertstroke. I am happy and I love the way this thing grips the road and lurches forward with authority when I want it to. The TD6, as much as I really wanted it and loved it, lacked in that area compared to the gasser. Just IMO.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:07 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Same here, went in buying a diesel, came out with a gasser.

I was not impressed with the diesels performance. The mileage on the sticker was not as good as I had hoped for either.

in addition my wife daily drives 10 miles to work, 10 miles back and we don’t tow.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ALScott
I came from a F250 diesel we got for towing a 34 ft travel trailer. I said I would never go gas again no matter what. I test drove the TD6 and then the SI6, extensively. As far as fun driving goes the SI6 won out. I was dead set on the diesel for mileage and the torque but when I drove the gasser it was impossible for me to go with diesel. There is a little more maintenance with a diesel but that should not sway anyone buying a $70k plus vehicle. Decide what you want from it Day in and day out. I am getting better mileage out of the gasser than any truck I have ever had. Had F150 eco boost before the F250 powertstroke. I am happy and I love the way this thing grips the road and lurches forward with authority when I want it to. The TD6, as much as I really wanted it and loved it, lacked in that area compared to the gasser. Just IMO.
I always hear people say there’s more Mx. What is there with the td6 that the si6 doesn’t have? I’ve owned two diesels and 5 gassers so far and the diesels were more hands off.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm guessing it's refilling the DEF regularly.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by andries
That is good info. Perhaps more spirited driving from new will be a good thing, the instructions just state not to floor it or high rpm while cold
on a new engine you always want to drive it rough. I know it’s counter intuitive but it helps the engine settle and the pistons expand to the proper size so fuel doesn’t work it’s way into the oil diluting it.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 1979rover
I'm guessing it's refilling the DEF regularly.
keep in mind the diesels of today are not the same as yesteryear. They didn’t have high pressure injection and the like. I consider diesels to be more hands off.

Quick Reply: Ok so td6 or si6?